Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

12 minutes ago, Cashsmoney said:

Does anyone know if Jonny Walker Blue is still included in the premium plus package?

Last time I sailed on NCL it was back in like 2018ish and the package was brand new like online been available for a couple weeks and it included it. I had to have had 2 bottles of Blue in that week, well paying for the drink package upgrade. And is Starbucks still included?

On Breakaway in Dec 2021 we couldn't get Blue, it wasn't even available on the ship.  Aug 2019 on Epic in Europe, Blue was available.  

15 minutes ago, Cashsmoney said:

Does anyone know if Jonny Walker Blue is still included in the premium plus package?

Last time I sailed on NCL it was back in like 2018ish and the package was brand new like online been available for a couple weeks and it included it. I had to have had 2 bottles of Blue in that week, well paying for the drink package upgrade. And is Starbucks still included?

Checking what I believe are the current premium and premium plus drink lists it shows JW Black and Red on the premium and JW Platinum on the plus.   No mention of Blue.

If they have it you can get it on the premium plus package. The issue is the suppliers are having some supply chain issues. It really depends on the week and what supplies they’ve gotten. Again if they have it you can get it on the Premium plus plan

26 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

If they have it you can get it on the premium plus package. The issue is the suppliers are having some supply chain issues. It really depends on the week and what supplies they’ve gotten. Again if they have it you can get it on the Premium plus plan

Didn’t you mention on another post you were leaving Cruise Critic.com for awhile ? I see your still here. Hard to say bye bye isn’t it ? Hahahaha

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, sprez33 said:

There are also some very affordable individual wine bottle protectors on places like Amazon.  That said, I've had good luck many times just wrapping each wine bottle inside a soft t-shirt or some such.  

Another safety measure I have taken is to us a vacuum sealer to seal the bottle in a bag so if it does break there's a good chance it doesn't leak out to the whole suitcase. if I have room I intentionally seal the bag with some air inside, rather than vacuum the air out, so as to add additional protection.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chillyw said:

Pretty sure I saw JW Blue in Encore Haven bar back in December, but they were having liquor supply issues. We drank them out of whistle pig in like a day.

Nice. Yeah I think between me and the wife we went though a couple of bottles of Blue definitely paid for the upgrade. Maybe I should call head to the Haven to set aside a couple bottles for me 😂.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone has used this in the last few weeks and how it is right now?  I had heard that the wine selection at dinner was very limited due to the supply chain issues.  And confirming the Starbucks on getaway is still included for all beverages there as well.  

If you are getting a cocktail and want the upgraded spirits blended in, are the waiters good about that?  Any recent travelers who used the package, we’d like to hear from you 🙂

14 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Wondering if anyone has used this in the last few weeks and how it is right now?  I had heard that the wine selection at dinner was very limited due to the supply chain issues.  And confirming the Starbucks on getaway is still included for all beverages there as well.  

If you are getting a cocktail and want the upgraded spirits blended in, are the waiters good about that?  Any recent travelers who used the package, we’d like to hear from you 🙂

I just used the package in March 2022 and also in November 2021.  I am also the op-ed of this stream. Your wine question is impossible for me to answer.  I like but don't know wines very well.  I asked the waiter in Cagney's to choose a red for me.  It was awful.  I have the wine steward do the same and it was great. What does that mean, not much.  Just a taste thing. 

The issue you seem to be most concerned with is availability of wine.  Again, impossible to determine. The High-End champagnes were always available on the "Plus" program.  While cruising both times, I did not hear negative comments about availability of wine. Now I was drinking Tequila 1942 which is both high-end and expensive.  Due to supply chain issues, it was kind of hard to find.  But they did find it for me.  

When you get a cocktail and want High end spirits that are on the program, just order it that way and you will not have an issue.  My advice is do this at the better bars like the "A" list Bar.  

I hope I helped.

Cruise well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Thanks @Sthrngaryappreciate it.  You are brave lol! Asking the waiter to choose for you, we are all so different with what we like.  I’ll continue to debate and then report back after our cruise in June.

for the getaway what would you include in your  recommendation for A list bars?   

I love the Getaway.  The A list bar is where I would go for my Tequila or higher end spirits.  Remember, many selections do not show on the printed lists for the Plus Program online.  My Tequila 1942 does not show yet it is covered.  You just have to ask.  

If you are asking me about wine, I am not the guy for that.  

Cruise well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I love the Getaway.  The A list bar is where I would go for my Tequila or higher end spirits.  Remember, many selections do not show on the printed lists for the Plus Program online.  My Tequila 1942 does not show yet it is covered.  You just have to ask.  

If you are asking me about wine, I am not the guy for that.  

Cruise well.

Have you ever found an all inclusive list of what liquor might be available on board NCL ships?

It's interesting they don't list some of the bottles likely available as it might induce guests to upgrade.

I'm on the fence regarding up grading. I completely agree with your vacation strategy regarding paying for as much as possible upfront, but list of 'other' liquors available, wine by the bottle, etc does not thus far compel me to pay the $1100 upgrade. Seems like I could pay the difference and likely save money albeit have a much higher bill at the end of the cruise. Also I wonder if I would inevitably settle for a covered beverage rather than splurge on the upgrade, thus defeating the idea of an all in vacation. It's kinda like having a ski pass in the winter; by the end of winter it proves I would have been better to pay each time I went rather than pay the cost of the ski pass, yet I know there would times I would talk myself out of going if I had to pay for each time individually.

Fortunately I know whichever way I chose, I'm still going to have a fantabulous vacation.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

I've followed several of your posts and really appreciate all the information you provide. We are scheduled to be on the Joy to Bermuda sailing May 29th and based on your reviews and info I purchased the PP drink package for my wife and I. My question to you is regarding ordering bottles at dinner, specifically Veuve Clicquot or Moet champagne, and sharing it with our group of 10, is this included with the package and is there a bottle limit per sitting? (I guess that was 2 questions!)

Thanks much,

Perry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, mtrancher said:

Have you ever found an all inclusive list of what liquor might be available on board NCL ships?

It's interesting they don't list some of the bottles likely available as it might induce guests to upgrade.

I'm on the fence regarding up grading. I completely agree with your vacation strategy regarding paying for as much as possible upfront, but list of 'other' liquors available, wine by the bottle, etc does not thus far compel me to pay the $1100 upgrade. Seems like I could pay the difference and likely save money albeit have a much higher bill at the end of the cruise. Also I wonder if I would inevitably settle for a covered beverage rather than splurge on the upgrade, thus defeating the idea of an all in vacation. It's kinda like having a ski pass in the winter; by the end of winter it proves I would have been better to pay each time I went rather than pay the cost of the ski pass, yet I know there would times I would talk myself out of going if I had to pay for each time individually.

Fortunately I know whichever way I chose, I'm still going to have a fantabulous vacation.  

Thank you for all the kind words.  No I do not know of any really complete list.  Sad to say.  The Upgrade is $250.00 ish per person for a 7 day cruise.  You might be going longer.  I make that up with a shot or two of Tequila 1942 and two starbuck a day.  I am not looking get a deal but it still has to be worth it to me.  So I get you.

If you like nice wines and spirits, but don't drink a lot.  Skip the Premium Plus package.  If you indulge on your vacations, it may be for you.

Cruise well.

10 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

Hi Gary,

I've followed several of your posts and really appreciate all the information you provide. We are scheduled to be on the Joy to Bermuda sailing May 29th and based on your reviews and info I purchased the PP drink package for my wife and I. My question to you is regarding ordering bottles at dinner, specifically Veuve Clicquot or Moet champagne, and sharing it with our group of 10, is this included with the package and is there a bottle limit per sitting? (I guess that was 2 questions!)

Thanks much,

Perry

@prbffd28Allow me to break down your question(s).

The only wines you can order by the bottles are very clearly listed as a Premium Plus option.  Not all wines or Champagne's are available.  

On the guest and wine situation.  This one is a hit or miss.  So let me give you some examples.  I was cruising on the Joy, we were in the Haven Restaurant.  I ordered a bottle of Very Nice Champagne from the Premium Plus selected wines.  The server asked me how many glasses I wanted.  I said four.  My wife and I were the only ones on the Premium Plus package.

I have ordered as many as three bottles of selected wine at a setting.  Never once did someone say their was a limit. 

Please note, the number of glasses and amount of bottles rules may change.  Approach it with a kind smile and I bet you won't have an issue.

Cruise well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

Hi Gary,

Thanks much,

Perry

Sharing it with a group of 10 who don't have the package?  Am I understanding that correctly?

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@prbffd28Allow me to break down your question(s).

The only wines you can order by the bottles are very clearly listed as a Premium Plus option.  Not all wines or Champagne's are available.  

On the guest and wine situation.  This one is a hit or miss.  So let me give you some examples.  I was cruising on the Joy, we were in the Haven Restaurant.  I ordered a bottle of Very Nice Champagne from the Premium Plus selected wines.  The server asked me how many glasses I wanted.  I said four.  My wife and I were the only ones on the Premium Plus package.

I have ordered as many as three bottles of selected wine at a setting.  Never once did someone say their was a limit. 

Please note, the number of glasses and amount of bottles rules may change.  Approach it with a kind smile and I bet you won't have an issue.

Cruise well.  

Thank you very much for the information, it is again very helpful. I will check the list over to see what is available. I have to agree with your statement regarding the "kind smile" approach, I live by treating people the same as I would expect to be treated, be nice, respectful and thankful and in most cases everything goes along wonderfully. Cheers

14 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Sharing it with a group of 10 who don't have the package?  Am I understanding that correctly?

DW and I are the only ones of our group that have the PP package, all others have the free at sea package. I was hoping to share a bottle with them one night that we are all together for dinner, we only have one night planned together so far.

2 hours ago, prbffd28 said:

DW and I are the only ones of our group that have the PP package, all others have the free at sea package. I was hoping to share a bottle with them one night that we are all together for dinner, we only have one night planned together so far.

We were able to do this as recently as Dec 2021.  We had a group of 6, only two of us with the PP package.  I just ordered the wine I wanted with PP and asked for 6 glasses.  No issue at multiple restaurants.

• Thanks 2

Reading this thread has helped me make my decision to purchase the PP package - in large part to try some of the options listed here!  I'm so looking forward to it.  Thanks to all for sharing your perspective.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, Sthrngary said:

The Upgrade is $250.00 ish per person for a 7 day cruise.  You might be going longer. 

Thank you for your reply!  We are going longer, it's a 15 day Panama Cruise so the upgrade is $522 per person. Same px per day as the 7 day cruise, but a bigger overall commitment if I decide it wasn't worth it. Of course now I'm just over thinking it; likely I'll just bite the bullet and go ahead; I'd hate to wish I had it two days in and now have 13 days to go. 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

Thank you for your reply!  We are going longer, it's a 15 day Panama Cruise so the upgrade is $522 per person. Same px per day as the 7 day cruise, but a bigger overall commitment if I decide it wasn't worth it. Of course now I'm just over thinking it; likely I'll just bite the bullet and go ahead; I'd hate to wish I had it two days in and now have 13 days to go. 🙂

LOL, your call and a tough call for anyone.  Enjoy.

Cruise well.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:56 PM, mtrancher said:

Another safety measure I have taken is to us a vacuum sealer to seal the bottle in a bag so if it does break there's a good chance it doesn't leak out to the whole suitcase. if I have room I intentionally seal the bag with some air inside, rather than vacuum the air out, so as to add additional protection.

I’m not ruling this out as an option yet. If I arrive in town early and have a rental car to go to a liquor store and buy wine this might make sense. Especially if I can board with the wine in grocery bags or some other kind of disposable box or package that I don’t have to travel with.

Currently for me this just seems like a whole lot of extra hassle that I don’t want to deal with. I’ve shelled out a lot of money to get my travel clothing looking good and fitting into a small under seat bag. In other words I’ve paid a premium to travel light. I don’t like checking bags. I don’t like waiting for bags. I don’t like having my bag taken from me at the entrance to an airplane and shoved into the belly of the plane. I don’t like losing my luggage.

Once I’m on the ship the only thing that I need in my pocket is my room key. If I want a Starbucks I get one, or two, or three. If I want Moët or Veuve champagne for breakfast I just whip out my card and get one. If I want a San Pellegrino, or two, or three in the middle of the day or with a meal or whenever I feel like, I just get one. I could do all this and just be surprised at what the bill is going to look like at the end of my cruise or I can get the Plus package and feel comfortable knowing that it won’t cost anymore other than a few dollars of taxes levied while in port.

So still thinking about it, but still in the camp of pay in advance and relax to the max.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, mtrancher said:

It’s a tough decision. If it is not in the budget you will still have a great time. You will probably be more careful about what you order. If you do the upgrade you will probably be more carefree about how or when or what you order.

I like your ski pass analogy, I will probably get a pass next season just so I can go for half days instead of feeling like I need to get there early and stay late just to get my money’s worth. Sometimes these extra freedoms cost a little more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1