Mardi Gras sister name ---- Celebration

jimbo5544

18 hours ago, gatour said:

Let me correct one thing, over night it occurred to me that the ship Queen Elizabeth II was named after the person name Queen Elizabeth II.  So Cunard has had only two ships with that name or a small variation.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The ship was named Queen Elizabeth 2, not II. There is a lot of speculation about why 2 and not II, since the Queen of England (etc.) writes it with II, not 2. Maybe the reason is because she was built in Scotland, and Queen Elizabeth II was actually the first Queen bearing the name Elizabeth to reign over Scotland. So with the 2 instead of II, the Scots can explain her name by saying the ship is the second to bear the name Queen Elizabeth, while the English can still say the ship was named after the second Queen Elizabeth. Or it might have been done by Cunard for esthetic reasons. What is known for sure though, is that when the Queen was given a note just before the launch, for in case the forgot the name, she said something like 'I don't think I need that'.

14 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Going forward, it appears they have decided that was a one-off case.

And that is also a very good reason for a (Carnival) Celebration 🙂.

• Like 1