Mardi Gras sister name ---- Celebration

jimbo5544

10 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I hadn't realized the "Celebration" was still sailing (albeit under a slightly modified name).  Yeah, in retrospect that does seem a little weird - I'd want to distance myself from that name, just to avoid confusion.

I can't see myself sailing out of Miami, since Port Canaveral is so close to me, so the name of the ship is a bit of a non-event for me, until it shifts ports - presumably it will, at some point, end up sailing out of Port Canaveral.

Miami is still pretty close to you so I wouldn’t rule it out due to proximity. I’m closest to Port Everglades but I have no problems sailing from Miami, Port Canaveral, Tampa and Jacksonville — all are convenient.

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Yes, I also thought of "Carnivale". But a lot of people I know said why would Carnival name a ship "Carnivale" given that the entire cruise line took up the name of "Carnivale". 

Well, it is not the first time I have been wrong, not even today.  😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Miami is still pretty close to you so I wouldn’t rule it out due to proximity. I’m closest to Port Everglades but I have no problems sailing from Miami, Port Canaveral, Tampa and Jacksonville — all are convenient.

Well, to each their own, but that 4 hr drive (or so) drive down I-95/Turnpike is anathema to me.  Port Canaveral is less than 45 min door to parking garage.  Tampa is the next closest port I would consider, especially since we like Ybor City.  Have actually booked a cruise out of there twice, and had to cancel the booking both times, annoyingly, so still never been.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, to each their own, but that 4 hr drive (or so) drive down I-95/Turnpike is anathema to me.  Port Canaveral is less than 45 min door to parking garage.  Tampa is the next closest port I would consider, especially since we like Ybor City.  Have actually booked a cruise out of there twice, and had to cancel the booking both times, annoyingly, so still never been.

We live 25 minutes from the Port of Tampa but rarely cruise from there on Carnival since we will only cruise on a Spirit class ship. Paradise has been based out of Tampa for a long time and I have no desire to go on a Fantasy class ship again.    Hopefully one day they will build a new terminal in Pinellas or Manatee County on the other side of the Skyway Bridge, which would allow bigger ships to cruise from the Tampa area. If/until that happens, we will continue to cruise mainly out of Port Miami and Port Canaveral. 

5 minutes ago, jabberjaw070596 said:

I thought it was bad luck renaming a ship!  Carnival has two ships with the same names.  I am not a fan of this

Carnival so far renamed 2 ships and is going to rename a 3rd ship next year

Carnival Destiny was renamed to the Carnival Sunshine then Carnival Triumph was renamed to the Carnival Sunrise and now Carnival Victory is going to be renamed to Carnival Radiance

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Carnival so far renamed 2 ships and is going to rename a 3rd ship next year

Carnival Destiny was renamed to the Carnival Sunshine then Carnival Triumph was renamed to the Carnival Sunrise and now Carnival Victory is going to be renamed to Carnival Radiance

Technically this isn't the reuse of a name since the original Celebration never had the "Carnival" Prefix.

If by chance there is a third Excellence-class ship ordered for Carnival Cruise Line, I'm wondering if that ship would be Carnival Holiday. 

9 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

My first cruise was on the old Celebration in 2001. It was already older at that time, but we still had a blast, and my love for cruising was born.

My first cruise was on the slightly younger Celebration in late 2000. A stabilizer busted on the way back to Galveston is bad weather. The boat was really rocking and people were getting sea sick. It was tough. But I was hooked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omarchs said:

Would be nice if they added a few cruises out of NYC before arriving in Miami to replace the few Mardi Gras cruises they cancelled from NYC after it’s first shipyard delay.

I don't know that NYC has the LNG refueling ability?

Should've been Festivale or Jubilee as those ships are now scrapped. Who knows, maybe those names will get used again if they add a 3rd & 4th ship for this class? Also, the old Holiday is currently laid-up with no status on if it'll resume service as the Magellan or if it'll be sold to another cruise line.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Oh look, people arguing over the name.

I cannot wait until these ships are here. What an experience it will be!

I don’t think people are arguing, just sharing opinions. Ultimately the name of the ship is going to have no impact on the experience you have on the ship. Personally I wish Carnival would show a little more creativity instead of using the names of previous ships, but that is just one person’s perspective. 

• Like 3

On 8/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

Celebration was my first cruise.  It started my obsession with cruising.  I agree with Philly, I am not a fan of reusing old ship names.

Celebration would have been my first cruise in 1988, but it sailed on Saturdays.  I was getting married.   So I switched to the Jubilee, which sailed on Sundays.

So maybe I'll get a Celebration cruise after all, 33 years later.

On 8/21/2020 at 11:00 PM, toad455 said:

Should've been Festivale or Jubilee as those ships are now scrapped. Who knows, maybe those names will get used again if they add a 3rd & 4th ship for this class? Also, the old Holiday is currently laid-up with no status on if it'll resume service as the Magellan or if it'll be sold to another cruise line.

I think that if cruising doesn’t restart soon there won’t be many more new ships. There are billion dollar behemoths and someone needs to pay for them. 

I thought he name Jubilee would have been spot on for  a 50 year Celebration. Maybe they didn’t want to go that way because it could be delayed. 

Edited by Stick93
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, jabberjaw070596 said:

I thought it was bad luck renaming a ship!  Carnival has two ships with the same names.  I am not a fan of this

Well Holland America has been reusing names for years (even before Carnival acquisition).

Cunard has the Queen Mary 2.  Along with the Queen Elizabeth, which I guess is the third Queen Elizabeth, since the previous ship with that moniker was the Queen Elizabeth II

I like re-using names as it reflects the line's historical past.

I am guessing  cruise lines started to prepend/append the individual lines name in the name of the ship both for marketing purposes and because they were running out of names that other competing were using.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, toad455 said:

Just curious why it's only the Mardi Gras and why this one will be the Carnival Celebration? Why not Carnival Mardi Gras?

I don't know why, but I'm sure glad the prefix is back. Not giving the Mardi Gras the prefix was a mistake imho and makes her an oddball (for the wrong reason, in an otherwise near carbon copy fleet (Corporation wide)).

16 hours ago, gatour said:

Well Holland America has been reusing names for years (even before Carnival acquisition).

Cunard has the Queen Mary 2.  Along with the Queen Elizabeth, which I guess is the third Queen Elizabeth, since the previous ship with that moniker was the Queen Elizabeth II

I like re-using names as it reflects the line's historical past.

I am guessing  cruise lines started to prepend/append the individual lines name in the name of the ship both for marketing purposes and because they were running out of names that other competing were using.

Let me correct one thing, over night it occurred to me that the ship Queen Elizabeth II was named after the person name Queen Elizabeth II.  So Cunard has had only two ships with that name or a small variation.

5 hours ago, sealynx said:

I don't know why, but I'm sure glad the prefix is back. Not giving the Mardi Gras the prefix was a mistake imho and makes her an oddball (for the wrong reason, in an otherwise near carbon copy fleet (Corporation wide)).

CCL left off the "Carnival" in front of "Mardi Gras" as a nod to the original ship name, which did not have the "Carnival" prefix.  It was a touch of nostalgia, I suppose.

Going forward, it appears they have decided that was a one-off case.

• Like 1