Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 5/6/2021 at 12:39 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_5626.JPG

Is this Callao, Peru (for Lima)?

@sfred will no doubt recall previous searches we've done trying to match container port cranes. That same strategy appears to have paid off this time. I'm getting a good match to those red and white striped cranes in images of the Callao container port. I've also found a match to that gray crane at the left with yellow near its base. Then taking it even further, I think I've matched the details in the concrete on the edge of the pier. That all adds up to a relatively high level of confidence that this is Callao.

45 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred will no doubt recall previous searches we've done trying to match container port cranes.

😎😎  My eye doctor said that unless I wanted to be completely blind within weeks, I needed to stop looking at cargo crane pictures.  I've tried to follow the advice, but admit that I've weakened several times.

I think you are correct about Callao, @bluemarble.  The pier angles also seem to work out for the Evergreen ship in the right side background.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred will no doubt recall previous searches we've done trying to match container port cranes. That same strategy appears to have paid off this time. I'm getting a good match to those red and white striped cranes in images of the Callao container port. I've also found a match to that gray crane at the left with yellow near its base. Then taking it even further, I think I've matched the details in the concrete on the edge of the pier. That all adds up to a relatively high level of confidence that this is Callao.

Brilliant detective work John - Callao it is. It's the only photo of the port I was able to capture as we were whisked away by bus to Lima. Who'd have thought that you and Fred would be able to match cranes! Impressive

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carlmm said:

The photograph is of significance? Not the place or the port?

Would have thought Spain but where?

12 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Don’t know why but for some reason I thought Portugese, but not the mainland (or Madeira).

Sorry Chaps, neither Spain or Portugal.

I'll offer another photograph though you'll have to excuse the narcissistic nature. I was on a mission at this  particular port and indeed eventually fulfilled it...

2098694521_WhereintheWorld27a.jpg.6845150bca9c5d9501e9eeebb45e502c.jpg

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Brilliant detective work John - Callao it is. It's the only photo of the port I was able to capture as we were whisked away by bus to Lima. Who'd have thought that you and Fred would be able to match cranes! Impressive

Aw shucks, and there was I hovering with a photo of Lima as well, having already covered the port weeks ago...

599089110_WhereintheWorld28.jpg.dcfe5d8aaeb4167605ffb7d1c9bdb843.jpg

40 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Sorry Chaps, neither Spain or Portugal.

I'll offer another photograph though you'll have to excuse the narcissistic nature. I was on a mission at this  particular port and indeed eventually fulfilled it...

2098694521_WhereintheWorld27a.jpg.6845150bca9c5d9501e9eeebb45e502c.jpg

Would this be Le Lavandou, France?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, North West Newbie said:

Would this be Le Lavandou, France?

It certainly is Le Lavandou and well done North West Newbie.

A delightful port to visit with a superb Ferris Wheel...

601812492_ViewfromFerrisWheel1.thumb.jpg.376830cb6934a0310d36e1b030665f82.jpg

...and famous for its 12 fountains, all of which we found and photographed...

https://www.lelavandou.eu/ukhistoire/fontaines.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think we're back to Brazil for this one. I'm getting a match to Armação dos Búzios, Brazil.

One more correct answer, @bluemarble!

Isn't this fast travelling, within the last couple of identification we enjoyed Chile, France, Greece and now Brasil again.

15 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

My money is on this being the Greek port of Nauplion and it was taken from the Akronauplia Castle ruins.

Congratulations Richard - Nauplion it is!

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this one is Monemvasia, Greece.

Well done John - Monemvasia is correct . Another one bites the dust! Not having any success with Richard's 2 outstanding offerings, so I'll need a clue, please. In the meantime, here's a new one for the serious detectives!

IMG_5548.JPG

On 5/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, Solent Richard said:

Hopefully my Nauplion answer is correct and that gives me an opportunity to add something else that appears on our list not yet confirmed with a photograph. 

How's about these two then...

316669132_WhereintheWorld42.jpg.9db6dcc62fe2144a342fd2ef8c8e2a61.jpg

870007212_WhereintheWorld50.jpg.1e1871ec98aaf7e9005ec558dff252b6.jpg

Richard - Just had a brain wave! I knew the top photo looked familiar, but couldn't bring the port to mind. Googling 'green churches' didn't help. I was scouring through photos for a future port and then came across this place which I'd visited - is it Belize City?

38 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Richard - Just had a brain wave! I knew the top photo looked familiar, but couldn't bring the port to mind. Googling 'green churches' didn't help. I was scouring through photos for a future port and then came across this place which I'd visited - is it Belize City?

Congratulations Peter, your photo certainly library came up trumps - Yes it is Belize City.

Gateway to the Mayan Lamanai  Temple archaeological complex...

1911231784_RichardLamenaiMaskTemple.thumb.jpg.ea87881d100dd8bef658abd3d3b480f0.jpg

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Well done John - Monemvasia is correct . Another one bites the dust! Not having any success with Richard's 2 outstanding offerings, so I'll need a clue, please. In the meantime, here's a new one for the serious detectives!

IMG_5548.JPG

Bit of a long shot but my guess for the day is going to be Mombassa.

18 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Bit of a long shot but my guess for the day is going to be Mombassa.

Wow! I'm impressed - you're correct Richard, Mombasa it is......but how own earth did you work this out so quickly (or do you have a similar photo of your own?😀)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think that's us down to just this one? Apologies if I've missed someone's.

Here's another one

035.JPG

Thank you for a town I'am able to identify: Helsingborg.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 4:53 PM, Solent Richard said:

870007212_WhereintheWorld50.jpg.1e1871ec98aaf7e9005ec558dff252b6.jpg

16 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I think that's us down to just this one? Apologies if I've missed someone's.

Any clue?

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well Done, Helsingborg it is ✔️

Not much to go on with this one. I'll just say there was no way I was going paddling here.

036.jpg

Colin - is this Alter Do Chao, Amazonia?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Colin - is this Alter Do Chao, Amazonia?

✔️That didn't last long, did it. I suppose there's not many Amazon ports left.

I struggled to find a photo of this port and resorted to lifting a frame from video.

037.jpg