Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sfred said:

Edit:  Apologies, I didn't do enough google research when finding the photo that @Clewgarnet posted.  This is not RMS Olympic at NY, but rather Olympic at Halifax. 

Correct!

And she was preparing to depart with a load of troops.

The photos are online somewhere, but they were taken by my great-grandfather, who was on board Caronia for most of WWI.

image.thumb.png.2375b9950ca3270f40a9ad3b795b0662.png

Edited by Clewgarnet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2024 at 5:19 PM, sfred said:

An interesting operational question - most historic photos I've seen of liners at the old Manhattan west side piers are bow-in.  Was there a particular reason for this?  What made it easier for the ship and tugs to arrive forward and depart backward, versus the other way around?

Wow! Does Manhattan ever look different!!

My first guess, re your question, is depth of the water. It was likely shallower at the land side of the pier, so bow-in would mitigate the chances of grounding as well as reduce contaminants being siphoned into the intake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow! Does Manhattan ever look different!!

My first guess, re your question, is depth of the water. It was likely shallower at the land side of the pier, so bow-in would mitigate the chances of grounding as well as reduce contaminants being siphoned into the intake.

Correct

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sogne said:

a listed sail by where  a little further the ship will turn  towards the destination.

aaa.JPG

I think this photo is showing us a view of one of our cruise-by locations, Sunnylvsfjorden, Norway as seen near Hellesylt. I can find a fairly close match using google maps a few miles north of Hellesylt before the road goes into a tunnel. I suppose the ship's turn towards the destination might refer to the turn into Geirangerfjord and then on to Geiranger?

17 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think this photo is showing us a view of one of our cruise-by locations, Sunnylvsfjorden, Norway as seen near Hellesylt. I can find a fairly close match using google maps a few miles north of Hellesylt before the road goes into a tunnel. I suppose the ship's turn towards the destination might refer to the turn into Geirangerfjord and then on to Geiranger?

Correct port turn 2 Geiranger is just off right of photo,taken from VP on Cunard tour. Have had this sail by b4?

21 minutes ago, sogne said:

Correct port turn 2 Geiranger is just off right of photo,taken from VP on Cunard tour. Have had this sail by b4?

Thanks @sogne for some fun Saturday morning (Australia time) "Where in the World" activity.

Sunnylvsfjorden is on our seen list, contributed by @bluemarble and identified by @exlondoner in post 3879, thread page 156 on 13 September 2021.  The post has disappeared from the Cruise Critic search function, but I did find it on Google.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @sogne for some fun Saturday morning (Australia time) "Where in the World" activity.

Sunnylvsfjorden is on our seen list, contributed by @bluemarble and identified by @exlondoner in post 3879, thread page 156 on 13 September 2021.  The post has disappeared from the Cruise Critic search function, but I did find it on Google.

Thank you. I don’t remember that, but then I don’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

24 minutes ago, sogne said:

We have seen Sunnylvsfjorden before but yours is the first personal photo so that's a welcome addition. My contributions back in post #3868 were a couple historic images from the 1930s taken from the archives of the Nasjonalbiblioteket (the National Library of Norway) since I didn't have any of my own photos showing Sunnylvsfjorden during my visit to Geiranger. It's always good to have an additional contribution showing a member's own photo of one of our Cunard locations.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have been remiss in welcoming two new members to our game. @Clewgarnet first posted while I was sailing on QM2 last month. @*Miss G* just joined us with a post earlier today. Welcome aboard! It's always great to see new members contributing to this long-standing thread which still has some life as it approaches four years old next month.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sogne said:

Correct

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I have been remiss in welcoming two new members to our game. @Clewgarnet first posted while I was sailing on QM2 last month. @*Miss G* just joined us with a post earlier today. Welcome aboard! It's always great to see new members contributing to this long-standing thread which still has some life as it approaches four years old next month.

Thank you, @sogne and @bluemarble!!

I haven’t read through all the posts so didn’t want to contribute a port which may have been already posted. 

In fact, I hadn’t even noticed the posts prior to mine which had stated that it was Halifax and not Manhattan! I was just excited to answer a question that I thought I knew! 😂

Finding out that it was Halifax, and not Manhattan, makes much more sense now. 

@Clewgarnet, your family history is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sogne said:

Geiranger Fiord     taken from view point 

Geiranger Fiord VP (1).JPG

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

this long-standing thread which still has some life as it approaches four years old next month.

Will there be cake at the birthday party?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I haven’t read through all the posts so didn’t want to contribute a port which may have been already posted.

Don't worry about contributing a photo of a port which has already been posted. We have had many repeats. Part of the fun is to see contributions of ports from different perspectives. If you think you have an unusual view of a Cunard port, go ahead and post it for us to try to identify. We'll be happy to see it even if it's a repeat.

It's been a while since I've posted the lists of Cunard ports we have seen and have not seen yet on this thread. Here are those lists.

Where in the World 2024-06-27.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2024-06-27.txt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Part of the fun is to see contributions of ports from different perspectives.

I should have challenged the group, instead of identifying the ports, with recent photos of Juneau and Haines, especially of QE in Juneau from across the waterway from the docking area. All I have to do now is figure out where I want to go to next!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Don't worry about contributing a photo of a port which has already been posted. We have had many repeats. Part of the fun is to see contributions of ports from different perspectives. If you think you have an unusual view of a Cunard port, go ahead and post it for us to try to identify. We'll be happy to see it even if it's a repeat.

It's been a while since I've posted the lists of Cunard ports we have seen and have not seen yet on this thread. Here are those lists.

Where in the World 2024-06-27.txt 14.14 kB · 3 downloads     Cunard ports not seen yet 2024-06-27.txt 5 kB · 3 downloads

Looking at that list, I’m amazed there isn’t someone who has taken a picture of Algeciras from Gibraltar.

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Looking at that list, I’m amazed there isn’t someone who has taken a picture of Algeciras from Gibraltar.

I think I can sort that layer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Port number 662 in the game, number 27 in Spain (ranking 7th in the top 10 countries) and 71 that have Spanish as the primary language.