Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Now that we've reached 5300 posts on this amazing thread and are starting a new page, it's probably a good time for me to post the updated list of the ports we've seen so far as well as the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen yet on this thread.

As a reminder, we welcome photos you may have of any of the ports on the unseen ports list even if they don't show a Cunard ship or weren't taken during a Cunard voyage. We also welcome any photos you may have of ports we've already seen that might offer a different perspective on the port. And we aren't picky about your photos having to show the actual port facility itself. Photos showing just about any feature of the port city are welcome.

Where in the World 2024-04-06.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2024-04-06.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

As @bluemarble says, this has been an amazing thread.  The collection of photos submitted by the Cruise Critic community from all over the world is a great trip down memory lane from past voyages, or a source of inspiration for future trips.

The photos cover 650 ports in 135 unique countries, speaking 55 unique languages.  Some updated analytics:

image.png.b65117601e06f68b61cbcb2d398eedfb.png

image.png.cda5bd80a80512a4118df420bc77b688.png

image.png.ee7486b2068d5bfda3996f93b2b24269.png

image.png.50fd3c15915c7183b0048a1599448188.png

image.png.3c8d8001d6fc4abb3b8c74b611f18c1b.png

(What have the Romans ever done for us??)

Edited by sfred
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sibenik, Croatia has a lot to offer and the sail in along the narrow St Anthony Channel...

Sibinek21ViewfromStJohnsFortress.thumb.jpg.a86119419449d88a9028dea6489a6b82.jpg

...that's it in the top half of the photograph above.

Sibinek10StAnthonyChannelexittoSibinek.thumb.jpg.ff87e0a200fed5b19f1b6dc444bed56b.jpg

Passing along the narrow channel there are easily spotted Submarine pens...

Sibinek7StAnthonyChannelSubmarinePens.thumb.jpg.08540339f56804caca621faa75a05940.jpg

Ships berth central and minutes into the town....

Sibinek12StMichaelsFortressfromShipBerth.thumb.jpg.b7b9d1c265cc2a0fec7adddd735df0af.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Olbia Sardinia Italy 2019 we were on Marella Explorer 2 

20190917_083155.jpg

20190917_083314.jpg

20190917_084143.jpg

Welcome to our game, @2BACRUISER! Always great to see new contributors to this thread. Thank you very much for your photos of Olbia, another Cunard port we hadn't seen on this thread until now.

If you have any more photos of other ports on our "Cunard ports not seen yet" list, we would love to see them. We'd prefer for you post them without identifying the port right away so we can have a crack at figuring them out first. We like to make it a game to try to identify the port photos others post here. I identified the Sibenik photos from earlier today when I posted them only because they had already been posted on another thread so it wouldn't have been much of a challenge to identify them here.

Thanks again for joining this amazing long-running game we have going here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sogne said:

ten minutes previously the port would have been easy to identify this much visited port

Unfortunately the fog has defeated me.  I've tried to find the church or town hall in the lower left, but I don't have enough detail to get a good match.  The best I've found is in the Ypres Belgium area, but clearly no Cunard ship has ever made it to Ypres.  So without any foundation beyond geographic proximity, I'll take a wild guess of Zeebrugge??

18 minutes ago, sfred said:

Unfortunately the fog has defeated me.  I've tried to find the church or town hall in the lower left, but I don't have enough detail to get a good match.  The best I've found is in the Ypres Belgium area, but clearly no Cunard ship has ever made it to Ypres.  So without any foundation beyond geographic proximity, I'll take a wild guess of Zeebrugge??

Oh, Zeebrugge is an inspired guess! I hadn't even thought to look there yet. The tower at the lower left looks like a good match to Sint-Donatianuskerk near the port. Having trouble working out an angle that also includes wind turbines but Zeebrugge certainly has plenty of those. I'll be very interested to learn if you've come up with the correct answer. Well done for a good workable hypothesis in any event.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sogne said:

ten minutes previously the port would have been easy to identify this much visited port

P1050971.JPG

That spire looks more Ottoman inspired or something from the Eastern Med. 

My guess is Istanbul. 

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, Zeebrugge is an inspired guess! I hadn't even thought to look there yet. The tower at the lower left looks like a good match to Sint-Donatianuskerk near the port. Having trouble working out an angle that also includes wind turbines but Zeebrugge certainly has plenty of those. I'll be very interested to learn if you've come up with the correct answer. Well done for a good workable hypothesis in any event.

Zeebrugge correct Nov 22 QM2 NL cruise  somewhere in this video are the breakwaters  at harbour entrance

Zeebrugge departure (4).MTS

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sogne said:

Zeebrugge correct

Wow - definitely a lucky guess.  I had found a photo of wind turbine and church spire that had been posted by a British fellow on a WW1 history tour of the Ypres area.  I don't know if it is the same turbine and spire in @sogne's photo, but it was the closest match I found, so I guessed the only major port in the area - Zeebrugge.  @bluemarble's research that found Sint-Donatianuskerk looks likely from the shape of the spire.

• Like 1

Here's a webcam view of a new port, on our unseen list.  However, I'm not sure whether it will qualify for our game.  The problem is that the cruise terminal, and the Cunard ship there, are hidden behind the buildings in the webcam view. 

I tried finding a different webcam, and also tried on two different days to see if I could catch a glimpse of the Cunard ship either arriving or departing the port between the buildings.  My attempts were unsuccessful.

So that leaves us with a webcam view that would show the ship, except that it doesn't.  Anyway, hopefully there are enough clues in the photo to identify this new port.  We can then decide  whether this webcam shot qualifies for the game.  Or perhaps someone who was aboard/embarking/or disembarking the ship will see this and post a better photo.

I've actually had a client work meeting in the building in the centre-right  of the photo.  It was a few years ago, however, before the cruise terminal on the other side of the buildings was built.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f8bd9557e14dda91d6b117d0c695eed.jpeg

• Like 2

I can help with a photo showing QE at Tokyo to make it official. I'm posting this with the kind permission of Barbara O'Connor. She took this photo from the Grand Nikko Tokyo Daiba hotel on the morning of April 16th.

436234410_7590057927718849_1092692499338897887_n.thumb.jpg.7c46168373de258d8685c58886914286.jpg

• Like 4

@Poole Boy, welcome to our game! Thank you very much for your contributions to add two more Cunard ports we hadn't seen yet on this thread. I believe there's one more port on your itinerary that's listed on our unseen ports list (unless it was canceled). It would be great to see a photo of Kiriwina if you happen to have one.

We like to make it a game to try to identify the port photos others post here. 

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

If you have any more photos of other ports on our "Cunard ports not seen yet" list, we would love to see them. We'd prefer for you post them without identifying the port right away so we can have a crack at figuring them out first. We like to make it a game to try to identify the port photos others post here. 

Thanks again for joining this amazing long-running game we have going here.

Yes, @bluemarble, thank for all your effort, would indeed be great to get some new challenging, unidentified photos of actual visitors to so far unseen ports!

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I think this is Tokyo, Japan 

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I can help with a photo showing QE at Tokyo to make it official.

Tokyo is correct.  In previous years, QE has used the Daikoku facility in Yokohama as its home base for Japan itineraries  This year it is using the new terminal in Odaiba, much more convenient to central Tokyo, near the Rainbow bridge and on the Yurikamome transit line.

Congratulations @Host Hattie and thanks @bluemarble for making it official for the game.

By the way also, for our New York mates, Odaiba has a Statue of Liberty replica.  It looks a little smaller than its NY counterpart.

image.png.3711a39e49599cfeae3d97bec6afa7c8.png

• Like 2

A nice recent increase in our port count totals.  Thanks everyone!  I've recorded them as:

651  Sibenik, Croatia

652  Olbia Sardinia, Italy

653  Tokyo, Japan

654  Conflict Islands, Papua New Guinea

655  Alotau, Papua New Guinea

656  Kiriwina, Papua New Guinea

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1