Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you!  You have encouraged me to post this one.  It was taken as we made our way into port.

IMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.6c074deee8b4de2d03255caad888ad34.jpeg

Is this Boston?

I'm getting a pretty good match to the Graves Light at the entrance to Boston Harbor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You are correct!  It is Boston.

IMG_3549.thumb.jpeg.b1d4d7e3afa0b8122ff694698b98a580.jpeg

Darn…I was working today and going to say this looks straight out of New England, even with the fog. 
I need to retire..!!.. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You are correct!  It is Boston.

I was definitely looking in the wrong places.  I thought UK too, and perhaps Lands End, although I suppose it would be rare to have calm sea conditions there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NE John said:

Darn…I was working today and going to say this looks straight out of New England, even with the fog. 
I need to retire..!!.. 

I should have waited longer to answer but I was just so excited!

50 minutes ago, sfred said:

I was definitely looking in the wrong places.  I thought UK too, and perhaps Lands End, although I suppose it would be rare to have calm sea conditions there.

I changed my clue because I thought I’d given it away!  I should have left it there so you knew which part of the world you should be looking in. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I changed my clue because I thought I’d given it away!  I should have left it there so you knew which part of the world you should be looking in. 

Going down rabbit holes in the wrong places is one of the things which makes this thread so compelling.   Plus I sometimes get to virtually explore places I've never been to before.  Your clue was just right.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

When I saw your follow-up post had been edited because of "Too much of a clue!" I wondered what I had missed. You did the right thing by editing it. Your original photo had just enough detail to figure out eventually. As @sfred has mentioned, letting us go down a few rabbit holes is part of the challenge of this game. After a day or two with no luck, additional clues may be necessary then. Thank you for contributing to our game with an excellent challenge.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I'll take a wild guess at this one, because it looks very similar to a photo I took from Land's End in Cornwall (UK) in 2022. Mine was taken from land near the milepost marker, using a bit more zoom:

image.thumb.jpeg.6838ab4c2156615afcbe8a63cda81c3b.jpeg

The rock profiles don't quite match, but the lighthouses are reasonably close.

As to the port one would be approaching, if it is Land's End in Cornwall, my guess would be sailing into Falmouth.

the Longships has a heli landing pad on top, the other lighthouse  does not seem to have one

13 hours ago, sfred said:

I was pretty sure it didn’t match the Land’s End topography when I submitted that guess. However, this was the first time in eons that I actually visited Cruise Critic before the most recently posted picture was identified. By gosh, even if it was wrong, I was going to submit a guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a Cunard ship on a webcam capture showing a cruise-by location we have not seen yet. It's also a cruise-by location that's not on our unseen ports list. Cunard ships have sailed through this location numerous times. But as far as I know, it has not been listed as a cruise-by location on the itineraries until recently so it never made our ports lists.

WhereintheWorld(187).thumb.jpg.d41caf4840f2f58d0293f62405d7bf8a.jpg

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a Cunard ship on a webcam capture showing a cruise-by location we have not seen yet. It's also a cruise-by location that's not on our unseen ports list. Cunard ships have sailed through this location numerous times. But as far as I know, it has not been listed as a cruise-by location on the itineraries until recently so it never made our ports lists.

WhereintheWorld(187).thumb.jpg.d41caf4840f2f58d0293f62405d7bf8a.jpg

That looks like Bar Harbor. 

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Somewhere in Norway?  The ship looks like QA.

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Based on ship and Not Seen/Cruise by list - Storfjorden, Norway

Sorry no, that's not correct. There's a detail you overlooked in my post: "It's also a cruise-by location that's not on our unseen ports list." As far as I know, this location has not been listed on Cunard itineraries prior to this year's so it never made it to our "Cunard ports not seen yet" list.

Edited by bluemarble

57 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Sorry no, that's not correct. There's a detail you overlooked in my post: "It's also a cruise-by location that's not on our unseen ports list." As far as I know, this location has not been listed on Cunard itineraries prior to this year's so it never made it to our "Cunard ports not seen yet" list.

Ah, a double negative…always confuses me. 

Then Geiranger fjord Norway. This is on our “Seen” list. 

Edited by NE John
  • Thanks 1

This is a guess because I can't find the webcam which @bluemarble has sourced the QA photo.  Oslofjord.  My rationale....

o.  Although I don't have past itineraries saved, Oslofjord is a cruise-by listed on some future Cunard itineraries that include Oslo.

o.  QA has been to Oslo earlier this year and would have traversed Oslofjord.

o.  Oslofjord is not on our seen or unseen lists.

o.  There are some matches on Google Street view, although with the darkness and cloud cover in the webcam image I can't be certain. 

Hi, if the webcam picture was taken on Aug 15, then the QA had earlier departed from a rather wet Geiranger. We were in our cabin watching as the ship left the fjord passing some very small islands and low rock formations in the sea  before heading south to Haugesund, the last port of call. 

But I know the ship had already paid an earlier visit to the fjords but don’t have the itinerary to hand. So the webcam could be from that cruise. 

7 hours ago, sfred said:

This is a guess because I can't find the webcam which @bluemarble has sourced the QA photo.  Oslofjord.  My rationale....

o.  Although I don't have past itineraries saved, Oslofjord is a cruise-by listed on some future Cunard itineraries that include Oslo.

o.  QA has been to Oslo earlier this year and would have traversed Oslofjord.

o.  Oslofjord is not on our seen or unseen lists.

o.  There are some matches on Google Street view, although with the darkness and cloud cover in the webcam image I can't be certain. 

That's correct. That's Queen Anne in Oslofjord, Norway. The webcam is located at Drøbak, Norway and is described as "Drøbak > North-West".

Oslofjord is indeed now listed as a "cruise-by" call on Cunard itineraries for Queen Anne including her current cruise as well as two of her future cruises to Norway in 2025 and 2026. That webcam capture is in fact from Queen Anne's current cruise and was less than an hour old when I posted it yesterday. As I mentioned, Cunard ships have sailed by this location many times before on their way to/from Oslo, but since it has not been listed previously as a separate "cruise-by" call on the itineraries, it never occurred to me to list Oslofjord in the cruise-by section of our unseen ports list.

We can now add Oslofjord, Norway as the 665th location on our list of ports seen on this thread.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Petulia said:

Hi, if the webcam picture was taken on Aug 15, then the QA had earlier departed from a rather wet Geiranger. We were in our cabin watching as the ship left the fjord passing some very small islands and low rock formations in the sea  before heading south to Haugesund, the last port of call. 

But I know the ship had already paid an earlier visit to the fjords but don’t have the itinerary to hand. So the webcam could be from that cruise. 

Welcome to our game! It's always good to see new players contributing. Your (and @NE John's) guess of Geirangerfjord was a good one, but unfortunately not correct this time. Thank you for joining in on this game.

• Thanks 2

A new poster @mking8288, is taking  his first Cunard voyage soon on QE coming from lots of experience on NCL and had this gem hiding away in his NCL CC cruise blog. I’m not staking you…just interested in one of your random reviews of NCL as I haven’t been on that line in eons. 
Anyway, this picture is too easy to guess - QV docked at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal after its TA and at the start of its 2023 WC. Probably the last time QV has been to NYC. 
PXL_20230120_210355776.jpg.37a50076ea4d7

Edited by NE John
Corrected name of poster.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NE John said:

... QV docked at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal after its TA and at the start of its 2023 WC. Probably the last time QV has been to NYC. 
PXL_20230120_210355776.jpg.37a50076ea4d7

That's correct. That call on January 19-20, 2023 was the last time QV has been to New York. It's also the last time any Cunard ship has docked at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and the last time any ship other than QM2 has been to New York.

Queen Anne is scheduled to visit New York on January 17-18. 2025. Don't know yet which terminal she will be using for that visit. MSC Meraviglia isn't scheduled to be in Brooklyn on those dates, so my best guess is Queen Anne will be at Brooklyn then.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1