Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this webcam capture showing a distant view of a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've already seen. I've cropped the bottom of the image to remove the captions.

Is this Puerto Vallarta, Mexico?  Doing a google search for beach street lamps, I think I can match the street lamp at the lower right of the webcam, and the buildings in the distance, to the Malecon beach boardwalk by the Rio Cuale.  The resolution of the ship isn't enough to permit an ID, but I'll guess QV based on typical itineraries?

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Sorry, no, that's not Puerto Vallarta, @sfred. As usual, I'll offer an additional hint tomorrow if necessary.

I have another possible match for the street lamp and buildings.  I'll try again tomorrow.

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this webcam capture showing a distant view of a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've already seen. I've cropped the bottom of the image to remove the captions.

WhereintheWorld(135).thumb.jpg.6a541ac00ca66e0d533f946f87c8ad86.jpg

Starting point: The building on the far right edge of the photo looks to me like the Royal Hawaiian on Wakiki.

Follow up: Search for Honolulu Web cams to see if one has that angle.

Conclusion: Found one that looks close.

My guess: Honolulu, Hawaii

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Starting point: The building on the far right edge of the photo looks to me like the Royal Hawaiian on Wakiki.

That's correct. That's QV arriving at Honolulu earlier this year on her world cruise. The image is a capture from the Waikiki Aquarium South Shore Surf Cam.

6 hours ago, ExArkie said:

That was my other guess.  There's a match to the street lamps along the waterfront in the park near the aquarium.  Well done, @ExArkie.  Honolulu also greatly increased the chances of the ship being QV.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:15 AM, Host Hattie said:

No Cunard ship I'm afraid - 

P1050406.JPG

OK, I'll go ahead and identity this one now. This is a photo of Cardiff, Wales prompted by our recent discussion and research determining Cardiff had been a Cunard port in the past. We can now officially add Cardiff to our seen ports list.

My previous mention of "something to do with St. David, possibly in more ways than one", is both a reference to St. David as the patron saint of Wales and my calculations that this photo was taken from one of the upper floors of the voco St. David's Cardiff Hotel.

• Like 3

Correct in all aspects, it's a view of Cardiff Bay looking towards Penarth taken from St David's Hotel.

I was trying to find one taken in the other direction showing the Pier Head building but failed. We have stayed in a room on that side of the hotel but I can't find a photograph. 

• Like 1

QE called at Puerto Princesa, Philippines on April 9th. That may be a new Cunard port. At least it's not on either of our seen or unseen ports lists.

I'm afraid I wasn't looking for possible webcam images showing QE there, but in retrospect I don't think I would have found one anyway.

I will add Puerto Princesa to our unseen ports list. If anyone on board QE has a photo to contribute at some point, that would be great. Or if anyone has a photo of Puerto Princesa not taken on a Cunard cruise, that will be gratefully accepted as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Correct in all aspects, it's a view of Cardiff Bay looking towards Penarth taken from St David's Hotel.

I was trying to find one taken in the other direction showing the Pier Head building but failed. We have stayed in a room on that side of the hotel but I can't find a photograph. 

With the addition of Cardiff to the seen ports list, we're now up to five ports in Wales.  For those with a better knowledge of local languages, what would be the primary spoken language in each place, English or Welsh?  Based on earlier discussions here in Where in the World, I had English for Milford Haven and Llandudno, and Welsh for Holyhead.  Is that correct?  And, what should I assign for Cardiff and Fishguard?

Cardiff,UK,Wales,Europe,North,West,TRUE,TRUE,English

Fishguard,UK,Wales,Europe,North,West,TRUE,TRUE,English

Holyhead,UK,Wales,Europe,North,West,TRUE,TRUE,Welsh

Llandudno,UK,Wales,Europe,North,West,TRUE,TRUE,English

Milford Haven,UK,Wales,Europe,North,West,TRUE,TRUE,English

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

QE called at Puerto Princesa, Philippines on April 9th. That may be a new Cunard port. At least it's not on either of our seen or unseen ports lists.

I'm afraid I wasn't looking for possible webcam images showing QE there, but in retrospect I don't think I would have found one anyway.

I will add Puerto Princesa to our unseen ports list. If anyone on board QE has a photo to contribute at some point, that would be great. Or if anyone has a photo of Puerto Princesa not taken on a Cunard cruise, that will be gratefully accepted as well.

I missed noticing that stop on QE's itinerary also!   Good catch, @bluemarble.  There was an article in the local newspaper about QE's arrival:

https://palawan-news.com/ms-queen-elizabeth-passengers-try-traditional-filipino-tinikling-dance-at-puerto-princesa-port/

And someone posted a Youtube video of QE's departure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJdTeHvFOo

As of this morning (Tuesday 11 April here) QE is currently in Manila Bay.  Deja vu from the long stay there during the covid pause in operations.

Edited by sfred

According to Marine Traffic, QE's next port after Manila is Hualien, Taiwan, arriving 13 April at 6am local time.  If correct, I think this is another unseen port, not currently on either our seen or unseen lists. 

If anyone currently aboard QE could contribute a photo, in addition to @bluemarble's query about Puerto Princesa, it would be most appreciated.

In my past work travels, I visited Taipei and Taichung several times, but I never made it to the east coast of Taiwan where Hualien is located, or the Shei-Pa National Park.  It is supposed to be very scenic with spectacular mountains and river valleys.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I've got this one. 

Cadiff Bay.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I can help you there @bluemarble .

Puerto Princesa The Welcome....

PuertoPrincesaarrivalwelcome.thumb.jpg.71b4345c0ea6cdb3d0b9fddbe6763b8f.jpg

Puerto Princesa Bay Walk Promenade

BayWalkSRCapwithShip.thumb.jpg.41a3b39f08f9e01c2168b9500b7aff7a.jpg

Puerto Princesa is a very good visit. As one who usually seeks out some military history there is also to be found here a  particular piece of WWII infamy at Plaza Cuartel...

PlazaCuartelentrance.thumb.jpg.1e2149a5cdcdb50f8e63edd75034eeff.jpg

PlazaCuartelentranceplaque.thumb.jpg.4b164fb2e90bcd93fa2fa4c80c84a4bb.jpg

PalawanMassacreVictimRosterMemorialcloseup.thumb.jpg.abaa13116d7a74d4d0347c37e98f39eb.jpg

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sfred said:

According to Marine Traffic, QE's next port after Manila is Hualien, Taiwan, arriving 13 April at 6am local time.  If correct, I think this is another unseen port, not currently on either our seen or unseen lists. 

If anyone currently aboard QE could contribute a photo, in addition to @bluemarble's query about Puerto Princesa, it would be most appreciated.

In my past work travels, I visited Taipei and Taichung several times, but I never made it to the east coast of Taiwan where Hualien is located, or the Shei-Pa National Park.  It is supposed to be very scenic with spectacular mountains and river valleys.

She then continues round to Keelung (for Taipei), or so cruise mapper says.

Like you @sfred , I too have done Taipei (from Keelung) and Taichung. Indeed, if my memory is correct I placed a photograph of Keelung Cruise Terminal on this thread during the pandemic...

KeelungCruiseTerminal.thumb.jpg.01895163cf9a77be54fc73a08bce1781.jpg

and sailing into Taichung...

WelcometoKaochingHarbour.thumb.jpg.f06b142d0539939f7ef7221cf30013ba.jpg

• Thanks 2