Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

21 hours ago, alc13 said:

The Fukuoka welcome was astoundingly good  - really talented kids playing those drums. 

I found the photos I had of our port welcomes for QM2 in Nagasaki (March 2017), and QE in Aomori (May 2019).  The students and gathered city residents were very enthusiastic, talented, and enjoyable.  They provided excellent first impressions of the ports. 

image.thumb.png.63b5912fbd82f1c247c1f769bf85d966.png

image.thumb.png.169b47d2ed5abd88360fd5293cf607d5.png

• Like 2

Here's a webcam of a new port from our unseen list.  Apologies that I could not find a camera that covered the cruise terminal in this location.  But the webcam of the city and its prominent geographic feature in the distance was taken on the day that a Cunard ship was in this port.  I've cropped the date/time/location banner at the bottom that would be a giveaway.

image.thumb.png.3e19c2a66c4b225760d8ca741dc19064.png

I'll contribute this webcam capture from the general vicinity of @sfred's last contribution. I doubt this will help any to identify the port, but it does help slightly to keep to our game's parameters because that white blip at the far left is a Cunard ship. I say general vicinity since it's actually about 30 miles away from the cruise terminal as the crow files. This is the best I could come up with for this port to show any semblance of a Cunard ship on a webcam image.

WhereintheWorld(142).thumb.jpg.54e4879e3a98de6ddfa94a1b53066c45.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes. There’s a lot of volcanoes in that region. 
BTW, I haven’t forgotten your request of picture from Stamford, CT. There is more of a marina there and not a port. What part of Stamford do you want a picture of?

Yes, even limiting a search to just Asia leaves a lot of countries and cities with volcanos.   An additional hint is that both my and @bluemarble's webcam photos were taken recently.

I think Stamford as a Cunard port must date back to when they had much smaller ships like Sea Goddess 1/2, or Vistafjord or Sagafjord.  Perhaps @Colin_Cameron or @bluemarble know which ship called at Stamford which got it onto our port list?   I can't see any of the current Queens venturing that far west in Long Island Sound. 

Any photo will do, really, although ideally one with a nautical theme or some prominent landmark? 

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, sfred said:

I think Stamford as a Cunard port must date back to when they had much smaller ships like Sea Goddess 1/2, or Vistafjord or Sagafjord.  Perhaps @Colin_Cameron or @bluemarble know which ship called at Stamford which got it onto our port list?   I can't see any of the current Queens venturing that far west in Long Island Sound.

@Colin_Cameron found the call to Stamford. It was a call by QE2 on May 23, 1987.

• Thanks 1

I think I found an applicable Web cam site - the viewing angle pretty closely matches what @sfredposted. I'd guess this port as being Kagoshima, Japan, with the volcano being Sakurajima.

Didn't have a chance to look for the Web cam site that matches @bluemarble's photo...probably shouldn't be that hard if my geographic region is correct.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I think I found an applicable Web cam site - the viewing angle pretty closely matches what @sfredposted. I'd guess this port as being Kagoshima, Japan, with the volcano being Sakurajima.

Didn't have a chance to look for the Web cam site that matches @bluemarble's photo...probably shouldn't be that hard if my geographic region is correct.

Correct. The port is Kagoshima. That was QE's port of call on April 30th. When @sfred mentioned our "webcam photos were taken recently", they we taken very recently.

Mine is a capture from the "Makurazaki - Japan Live cam" of Skyline Webcams. It's showing QE passing Makurazaki at 11:10pm on her way to Busan after departing Kagoshima about four hours earlier. That's only approximately Kagoshima (about 30 miles as the crow flies, something more like 50 NM sailing distance). Makurazaki is within Kagoshima Prefecture and I figured that was better than nothing to help move Kagoshima to our "seen" ports list.

Edited by bluemarble

6 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I'd guess this port as being Kagoshima, Japan, with the volcano being Sakurajima.

As @bluemarble has confirmed, it is indeed Kagoshima, and the Sakurajima volcano.  It is an impressive sight from the city, especially on a clear day. 

One of my Japan clients had a regional office in the nearby city of Kumamoto, and one time while working there I went to Kagoshima on the weekend and walked up to the Yunohira Observation Deck.  The volcano is still active and usually emits visible smoke and water vapor.  This was long before camera phones, so I don't have any photos of my own.

Here is the uncropped webcam with the location/date banner.

image.thumb.png.70392c5116658f8c215f11f4c870c7db.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 11:47 PM, bluemarble said:

Since we've started a new page and it's been several pages since I last posted our ports lists, here are updated versions including the addition of Yatsushiro to the seen ports list. I think we're now up to 617 entries in our seen ports list. I've added a few more ports to the unseen list for ports recently visited on QE's itineraries.

Where in the World 2023-04-22.txt 13.15 kB · 8 downloads     Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-04-22.txt 5.66 kB · 13 downloads

Some footage of a ‘cruise by’ that I don’t think has been seen yet - happy guessing 😀

• Like 1

Thanks @Sue-B.  Nice video.

At the 8-second point in the video, there's a view of an island and lighthouse off in the distance.  There's a google image from a boat approaching  Isle of May, Scotland that's an approximate match, so I'll kick things off and guess that cruise-by location this morning.

A new day here in Australia, so a fresh turn in the game. 

I think you are having your sandwich on the Isle of Arran, Scotland, and the island and lighthouse at the 8 second point of the video is the Pladda lighthouse just offshore?   Perhaps you were nearby to the dinosaur footprint?

• Thanks 1

Congratulations - it is indeed a little video taken from Silver Sands on the southern coast of the beautiful Isle of Arran, Scotland (with a little glimpse of the Pladda Lighthouse) 😀

Well done @sfred 

I think this may have been our first video contribution of a port/cruise-by in "Where in the World". Thanks @Sue-B.  If I hadn't caught the glimpse of the lighthouse at 8 seconds, I would have had no idea where to start.  From a long distance, the Isle of May has a roughly similar outline to Pladda, hence my initially incorrect guess.

This is port number 622 in the game, and number 61 in the UK, 25 of which are in Scotland.

• Like 1