Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 3/19/2023 at 4:03 PM, bluemarble said:

No need to confine yourself to photos of ports we haven't seen here yet. We've had numerous repeats and welcome any shots you think might offer a different perspective on a port we've already seen.

Here are some perspective photos taken from the QE on that Pearls of the Black Sea voyage in Oct 2012. A sight we might be able to see for the foreseeable future, the port of Yalta.

Yalta has a resort-like feel to that area and it would be a nice place to spend some time:

EB53FF5B-FAF6-478F-B145-B807E47C4A29.thumb.jpeg.d738cdd72eea8d2839df4a1afbf99ac9.jpeg4EE819BF-0BF9-40E0-B57F-4CCAF3721BA1.thumb.jpeg.d1194b7af52a72b6e09e92db029070cc.jpegD1E3CCCE-CD71-40CB-B2AD-3B37B37AA3AF.thumb.jpeg.4d7cbca8a2c65837b44dda33586dc199.jpeg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Now that I think we've established Cardiff as a Cunard port, we should make it official with one of your Cardiff photos, @Host Hattie since we can't assume that Mauretania postcard is showing Cardiff. Something taken around the port area/waterfront would be ideal, but as you know we haven't been particular about photos actually having to show the port itself.

I'm away from home at the moment so I'm having to rely on photos I've posted on social media or taken recently. Most of them have got people in them but I'll carry on looking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps you better reinstate Wales, though I’m not convinced most of it was subdued, but you really don’t set up a gold mine if surrounded by truculent inhabitants, I should have thought.

No worries.  Wales in back in the Roman port count, at least for now.  Perhaps a deciding factor would be whether anyone ever wrote "Romani ite domum" on any Welsh walls?  🙂

Unfortunately, while I can make manual adjustments, the limitations of the model formulas require that for the UK, all of the modern borders of England, Scotland, Wales, or Norhern Ireland be included or excluded in a port count calculation.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sogne said:

Correct so should Great Belt be added?

Since we've added various other straights to our list, it's appropriate to add Great Belt, Denmark as well.

I thought that bridge looked familiar. Not from seeing it in person, but it was included on the route of last year's Tour de France.

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Another view of a port/anchorage already "seen"

20230323_145956.jpg

I think I finally found this one. I spent way too much time trying unsuccessfully to prove this was the other port on our list from Pembrokeshire. It didn't help that I was working from an old version of our ports list where I hadn't yet included our most recent addition from there.

We now have a personal photo of this port so we no longer have to rely solely on the images from the Museum Wales website. Well done for that, @Host Hattie, even if this view does not include Mauretania or Lusitania.😀

I think this is Fishguard, Wales.

• Like 1

Here are two public domain photos pf places on our unseen list, the first of a port and the second of an adjacent cruise-by.  In the early 1990s I worked for about a year at a large nearby city.  One of my colleagues on the project owned a sailboat that he kept at this port.  On weekends I often "helped" with crew responsibilities.  This was long before the age of phone cameras, so unfortunately I have no pictures of my own. 

This is at the entrance to the port, a frequent landmark we used when returning

image.png.88eaab5b1d6fad9f22ac94f593056aee.png

And this is the cruise-by.  There isn't a lot to go on here 🙂, but the caption in Wikimedia commons assures me that this photo is of the waters at this cruise-by location.

image.png.8369fcc81be57a4dca20dc64fe766930.png

Oh, I've been looking in entirely the wrong part of the world for @sfred's latest contributions! I identified @Host Hattie's photo of Fishguard shortly after midnight today my time, so technically I'm not eligible to identify either of those two new images quite yet. In any event I'd like to give those in the UK a sporting chance at identifying them first.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Here are two public domain photos pf places on our unseen list, the first of a port and the second of an adjacent cruise-by.

Well that second one looks familiar. I was planning on posting this photo at some point. Which, if I'm right, is of the same stretch of water.

CD007.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sfred said:

Here are two public domain photos pf places on our unseen list, the first of a port and the second of an adjacent cruise-by.  In the early 1990s I worked for about a year at a large nearby city.  One of my colleagues on the project owned a sailboat that he kept at this port.  On weekends I often "helped" with crew responsibilities.  This was long before the age of phone cameras, so unfortunately I have no pictures of my own. 

And this is the cruise-by.  There isn't a lot to go on here 🙂, but the caption in Wikimedia commons assures me that this photo is of the waters at this cruise-by location.

The lighthouse looks like New Haven, Connecticut. I looked up the name and found Lighthouse Point Park. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well that second one looks familiar. I was planning on posting this photo at some point. Which, if I'm right, is of the same stretch of water.

CD007.JPG

I'll do the ship spotting for this one. This is Cross Sound Ferry's Susan Anne which operates on Long Island Sound between New London, Connecticut and Orient Point, New York. This scene shows Orient Point.

20 hours ago, sfred said:

I should have zoomed in more — I’m 20 miles down the Sound from here. 
The Connecticut shoreline has lots of tidal marshes as you see. Very nice area. 

Correct all around!  My friend kept his sailboat at the Pequonnock Yacht Club in New Haven.  I was working with him on a project in New York city in the early 90s, and several times that summer I took an early Saturday train up to New Haven and joined the "crew" for two days sailing on Long Island Sound.  It was usually a wonderful experience, although one memorable weekend turned cold and rainy, and we became thoroughly soaked and miserable. 

We used the lighthouse at Point Park as a landmark to turn into New Haven harbour.  The Orient Point light in @Colin_Cameron's photo was also a landmark, usually indicating that it was time to turn around and head back westward. 

For our Where in the World game, the New Haven port is noteworthy as our first port seen in Connecticut.  @NE John, Stamford is still unseen if you happen to have any photos.  From memory, we never called into Stamford on my friend's boat, although I do recall going into Norwalk and Bridgeport several times