Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

This one should be obvious, but on the basis we're accepting Brisbane, maybe this should be classed as 'new'? 

guess.jpg

Very good! Yes, I think this one should also count as another port on our list. Following our previous pattern, let's call the earlier photos of this location "Cadiz (Cruise Terminal), Spain". That makes this one "Cadiz (Navantia Shipyard), Spain". We wouldn't normally count a drydock on our port list, but since passengers were on board Queen Victoria for this one, that counts in my book.

• Like 2

Here's one to correct a glaring omission which @sfred has pointed out on the "Queen Elizabeth Position" thread. Since it should be fairly obvious from that preface that this image is showing Cairns, I'll dispense with blurring the captions and asking for an identification. This is an earlier view showing QE's arrival today at Cairns also captured from the Cairns Webcam found on the "cairnsinfo.com" website.

QECairnsArrival2023-02-21.thumb.jpg.15c0a7d38032c4cfdbc479a59d38d5d9.jpg

I could have sworn we had previously identified Cairns separately from Yorkeys Knob. But looking back now I see that was only while we were identifying all the Cunard ports for our "Q" ports game. Back then I accepted Yorkeys Knob and Cairns as separate Cunard ports because of a news report about a visit to the Cairns cruise terminal by QE. That was not while identifying a port photo/image of Cairns. We have now taken care of that.

Since we've previously listed "Cairns (Yorkeys Knob), Queensland" on our seen ports list, I think we should now list "Yorkeys Knob, Queensland" and "Cairns, Queensland" as separate ports on that list.

Now back to working on @sogne's latest contribution.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Thanks @bluemarble.  With this new Australia port, Italy Greece and Australia are now tied for fourth place at 29 ports each, behind only the US, UK, and Norway at 55, 55, and 37 respectively.

Perhaps @sogne's photo will help to break these ties.  I'm afraid I have no idea where it might be.  My usual strategies of finding buildings, flags, terrain, etc. haven't worked with this photo.

16 hours ago, sogne said:

have we had this ? a maiden call

nbv.jpg

Oh, I think I have a lead on this one. That's QE in the photo. I had been looking at QE's Alaska ports since some of them have gangways leading ashore similar to what's shown in this photo. But that proved to be a dead end.

From previous posts on this thread (including a photo of Newport, Rhode Island), we know you were on QE's maiden voyage to New England/Canada. Working through the ports on that cruise, I think I've found a match to Portland, Maine.

There's not a lot to work with here, but that gangway along the side of the ship is a pretty good match to the one at Portland's Ocean Gateway cruise terminal. What we can see of the structure at the far right behind the trees is also a reasonably good match to the Ocean Gateway cruise terminal building at the end of that gangway.

If my identification is correct, it's not a new port for our list, but it is the first time we've seen a photo of that port taken during a cruise. I previously posted a public domain image of Portland, Maine as a place I've visited but not on a cruise in the interest of keeping this thread going. Kudos for posting your own photo of Portland including a Cunard ship.

I've found some more ports that are not on any of the lists so far. If the Google Forms is still active I'll submit them there.

In the meantime here's a public domain image of one of them that I've been to several times but don't have any photos of. It was never this sunny when I was there.

I don't think I'm giving too much away if I say it must have been a tender port.

WITW088.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I've found some more ports that are not on any of the lists so far. If the Google Forms is still active I'll submit them there.

Yes, the Google Forms to submit entries for 'Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread' is still active. Here is the link to that form. I'll be on the lookout for new contributions and will add them to our unseen ports list.

Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread (google.com)

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

In the meantime here's a public domain image of one of them that I've been to several times but don't have any photos of. It was never this sunny when I was there.

I don't think I'm giving too much away if I say it must have been a tender port.

WITW088.jpg

Looks suspiciously like Anstruther, Fife (Scotland). Seems strange to me that I can only recognize ports (assuming I actually did so) where I have visited on land-based trips and virtually none that I have seen from ships.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

WITW088.jpg

I recognise the historic sailing vessel at Anstruther but it's name escapes me.

57 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well done @ExArkie. QE2 was on a charter for "The Open" in July 2000.

A further 28 ports submitted for the not-yet-seen list.

And I was on that trip.  Our first Cunard voyage and a joy from start to finish - and it finished with us being addicted.  It was a tender port, but at low tide not even the tenders could get in.  The Glasgow travel agents who chartered the ship probably lost their shirts as it was far from full - from memory there were about 200 of us who did the round trip.  Happy days!

6 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Looks suspiciously like Anstruther, Fife (Scotland). Seems strange to me that I can only recognize ports (assuming I actually did so) where I have visited on land-based trips and virtually none that I have seen from ships.

And that breaks the tie for the number one country with the most ports/cruise-bys seen in our game.  The UK now has 56 ports, of which 24 are in England and 24 Scotland. 

The US is number two at 55, of which 21 are in Alaska and 6 Florida.  Of Australia's 29, 11 are in Queensland and 5 in WA.

Time for updated versions of our ports lists. @Colin_Cameron has found quite a few new entries for our unseen ports list. I have marked those new entries with ** to make them easy to find. I have made a few assumptions as to which of them are cruise-bys.

Some of the new entries could be low-hanging fruit such as Tokyo which has been identified as a port separate from Yokohama and Osaka as separate from Kobe. Also, it looks like we may now consider Suez, Egypt to be a port of call. That was a question I had posed earlier.

Anyway, take a look at the unseen ports list in particular and see if you might have photos of any of the entries on that list. As always, photos offering a different perspective on any of the ports we've already seen are also most welcome.

Where in the World 2023-02-21.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-02-21.txt

• Thanks 1

Looks like some wonderful historic photos there, @Colin_Cameron!

"The QE2 Story" website helped me with this one. There are some good matches in a topic there titled "QE2 Inchgreen Dry Dock: 1968 (photos and film)" where some of the photos in that topic are tagged with the date 19 Nov 1968. I guess that would have been only one week before QE2 commenced her preliminary sea trials.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Looks like some wonderful historic photos there, @Colin_Cameron!

"The QE2 Story" website helped me with this one. There are some good matches in a topic there titled "QE2 Inchgreen Dry Dock: 1968 (photos and film)" where some of the photos in that topic are tagged with the date 19 Nov 1968. I guess that would have been only one week before QE2 commenced her preliminary sea trials.

Should Inchgreen Dry Dock be a new port, or an alternative view of Greenock's cruise terminal located a few kilometers to the west?  I presume QE2 did not have passengers aboard during the time at Inchgreen.

23 minutes ago, sogne said:

QV  at anchor but where and why? This is a designated anchor site.

The sand castles at the lower left of the photo aren't much of a clue... 🙂  but I'll have a guess at Weymouth Bay Portland Anchorage, where QV stayed for periods during the covid shutdown?

Edited by sfred

2 minutes ago, sfred said:

The sand castles at the lower left of the photo aren't much of a clue... 🙂  but I'll have a guess at Weymouth Bay, where QV was anchored for periods during the covid shutdown?

I was actually going to guess Bournemouth, from the same period. 😀