Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, sfred said:

Should Inchgreen Dry Dock be a new port, or an alternative view of Greenock's cruise terminal located a few kilometers to the west?  I presume QE2 did not have passengers aboard during the time at Inchgreen.

No passengers. As @bluemarble said, this was even before her seatrials. I wouldn't count this as another port.

My only reason for posting this is that these are the photos I was looking for away back in post #546 (2+ years ago). I remembered taking them but what I didn't remember was that I must have taken them with my dad's camera. Thus he still had the photos.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sogne said:

QV  at anchor but where and why? This is a designated anchor site.

lkj.JPG

Since @sfred and @exlondoner have eliminated a couple of the best possibilities, I'll draw on these posts from the "Queen Victoria current location" thread and take a stab at Southwold, England.

No sand castles in @Happyboating's photo to work with 😄, but otherwise it's a reasonable match.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:42 PM, Happyboating said:

Taken at Southwold this evening:

E59C5F9D-F3DF-40B6-A20D-C8A85AB99752.thumb.jpeg.6cb385536e6ccd243bcfb698ed65a1b9.jpeg

Perhaps an even better clue though is this follow-up post from @sogne about QV at Southwold.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:45 AM, sogne said:

plotted her lat/long onto one of my charts for the area which puts her between 1.3 and 1.4 NM offshore depending on her swing and whether tide or wind rode 

went yesterday to see her and stayed for some time just thinking past and hopefully future cruises with her

all cabins appeared to have curtains closed and crew were visible on deck 3

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

As fjords don’t have sandy beaches, I’m not sure where your home waters might be.😀

My home waters are the UK east coast, my father was born in Larvik on the north shore of Sognefiord, he crossed the North Sea in June 1940  aged 17 joined Norwegian Navy and later RN. My mother born in Bergen was already in UK working at the embassy although they did not meet until after the war. I still have relatives in both Bergen and Larvik/Sogne areas. Hopefully QA will get there next year, 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Since @sfred and @exlondoner have eliminated a couple of the best possibilities, I'll draw on these posts from the "Queen Victoria current location" thread and take a stab at Southwold, England.

No sand castles in @Happyboating's photo to work with 😄, but otherwise it's a reasonable match.

Perhaps an even better clue though is this follow-up post from @sogne about QV at Southwold.

I forgot that feel free to disregard this for your data base.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

No passengers. As @bluemarble said, this was even before her seatrials. I wouldn't count this as another port.

My only reason for posting this is that these are the photos I was looking for away back in post #546 (2+ years ago). I remembered taking them but what I didn't remember was that I must have taken them with my dad's camera. Thus he still had the photos.

I love old photos like these, especially since the drydock is still a working facility and you can make "then and now" comparisons.  Thanks for posting them!

21 minutes ago, sogne said:

My home waters are the UK east coast, my father was born in Larvik on the north shore of Sognefiord, he crossed the North Sea in June 1940  aged 17 joined Norwegian Navy and later RN. My mother born in Bergen was already in UK working at the embassy although they did not meet until after the war. I still have relatives in both Bergen and Larvik/Sogne areas. Hopefully QA will get there next year, 

I always thought it must be hard to grow up with a parent who was so obviously brave, while the rest of us feel nothing but admiration. Still looks like Bournemouth, though.. 😀

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I always thought it must be hard to grow up with a parent who was so obviously brave, while the rest of us feel nothing but admiration. Still looks like Bournemouth, though.. 😀

like many of his generation he said little most of what i know i i found after his death from historical archives

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sogne said:

like many of his generation he said little most of what i know i i found after his death from historical archives

And in this era where so many impart too much information, I feel there is a lot to be said for that approach. There is at least one recent author I can think of who should certainly have adopted it.

3 hours ago, sogne said:

I forgot that feel free to disregard this for your data base.

I'm of the opinion we should include Southwold on our ports list. We've included Portland, Weymouth and Torquay because Cunard ships spent time there during the pause in operations. Admittedly we aren't being entirely consistent since passengers weren't on board then. But since we've counted those others, I'd suggest Southwold counts as well.

@exlondoner, if you (or anyone else) have a photo of a Cunard ship(s) anchored off Bournemouth, I'd also be willing to accept that as another port for our list.

Teignmouth would be another candidate since QM2 and QV both spent time laid up offshore there.

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm of the opinion we should include Southwold on our ports list. We've included Portland, Weymouth and Torquay because Cunard ships spent time there during the pause in operations. Admittedly we aren't being entirely consistent since passengers weren't on board then. But since we've counted those others, I'd suggest Southwold counts as well.

@exlondoner, if you (or anyone else) have a photo of a Cunard ship(s) anchored off Bournemouth, I'd also be willing to accept that as another port for our list.

Teignmouth would be another candidate since QM2 and QV both spent time laid up offshore there.

Crew changes & stores came from Lowestoft.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

And in this era where so many impart too much information, I feel there is a lot to be said for that approach. There is at least one recent author I can think of who should certainly have adopted it.

He would have 100 in june this year family reunion in Trondheim  with QV North Cape cruise.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Counting the port as Lowestoft works for me, especially since QV originally anchored off Lowestoft and then moved a bit further south off Southwold for a few days after that.

To clarify - Does Southwold go on the "seen" list as port 607, or are we naming it as Lowestoft (or perhaps counting both)?

3 minutes ago, sfred said:

To clarify - Does Southwold go on the "seen" list as port 607, or are we naming it as Lowestoft (or perhaps counting both)?

I think it probably would be a stretch to count them both. Let's call it Lowestoft, England per @sogne's comment, as port number 607 on our list. That helps the UK extend its lead by one more port.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I thought I had lots of photos, but this terrible misty one is the only one I can find. Those who know Bournemouth will recognise the top of the wire fence that stops the goats escaping. Yes, honestly. I’m not even sure which ship it is.

467D0CA1-0955-4E6A-816B-F557174899BD.jpeg.9b9bf53cd9c1319ad6334b3c5c192a70.jpeg

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought I had lots of photos, but this terrible misty one is the only one I can find. Those who know Bournemouth will recognise the top of the wire fence that stops the goats escaping. Yes, honestly. I’m not even sure which ship it is.

467D0CA1-0955-4E6A-816B-F557174899BD.jpeg.9b9bf53cd9c1319ad6334b3c5c192a70.jpeg

Thanks for that photo. We can now add Bournemouth to our ports list. I'm pretty sure that's QV after her 2017 refit. That image lacks the blockier look of the games deck forward on QE and shows the more jagged aft profile of QV.

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for that photo. We can now add Bournemouth to our ports list. I'm pretty sure that's QV after her 2017 refit. That image lacks the blockier look of the games deck forward on QE and shows the more jagged aft profile of QV.

My memory says QV too, but they were both here that summer.

14 minutes ago, sfred said:

This port has been seen before, but the previous contributed photos did not contain a Cunard ship.  Here is a webcam image showing a Queen departure.

image.png.24affb182c9f14835ae684789453897a.png

That's a good one, @sfred. I will defer identifying it since I have that view in my webcam collection showing the same Queen arriving at that port earlier that morning.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Is that a shark net? And does that help?

36 minutes ago, sfred said:

It is indeed a shark net.

I see there are several news articles from this past August about a shark attack in the area if that helps.

4 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Aug 22, I’m finding reports of a Great White attack off Cornwall. But I don't ever remember seeing nets there. 😁

The webcam photo is about as far as one can get from Cornwall, although I see that it is  possible to get a pasty at several of the town's bakeries.  An additional hint is that the location is "not in New York".