Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Valletta, Malta ?

Correct. That German frigate in the foreground didn't throw you off at all. That was QE in November 2012 on our "Holy Land Explorer" cruise. She wasn't originally scheduled to stop there on that voyage, but Valletta was added as a replacement port when calls at Israel and Egypt were cancelled because of unrest in those areas.

• Like 1

You're far too good at this ! I have to confess I don't get the bonus point either. I'll have to check the rest of the photos from the trip to see if I got a better photograph. Yes, Queen Elizabeth in Rhodes in October 2013.

17 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

You're far too good at this ! I have to confess I don't get the bonus point either. I'll have to check the rest of the photos from the trip to see if I got a better photograph. Yes, Queen Elizabeth in Rhodes in October 2013.

I think that other ship in your photo is the Oceania Nautica. She was in Rhodes with QE on October 21, 2013 and it's a good match to the Nautica.

• Like 1

HH, I haven't been able to work out the location of your latest photo (yet), but after detailed forensic analysis 🙂 I've concluded that the second cruise ship to the right in the photo is probably the Marella Explorer. Do you have a way to verify that with another photo perhaps?

Now I wish I could do a "ship intersect" to find out where QM2 and Marella Explorer have been at the same port in the past. The CruiseCal website used to support that function, but it no longer works along with most of that site's other functionality.

Somewhat ironically, all three of the Cunard Queens and three of the Marella ships, including the Explorer, are currently laid up at the same location (Weymouth).

Wonderful idea Host Hattie. This one is a fairly easy one to quess- taken from one of my favorite spots in  ... ähem- yeah I love the spot where I took that photo some years ago. Must have been in 2002 or there abouts- since both Milli- Class ships ( Infinity and Summit) still showed their orginal livery.

Cosnte St.T.jpg

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Wonderful idea Host Hattie. This one is a fairly easy one to quess- taken from one of my favorite spots in  ... ähem- yeah I love the spot where I took that photo some years ago. Must have been in 2002 or there abouts- since both Milli- Class ships ( Infinity and Summit) still showed their orginal livery.

Cosnte St.T.jpg

This one I know quite well. That's a view of the Havensight cruise port at Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands as seen from Paradise Point. Been to St. Thomas a couple times, once on QM2, although she docked across the bay to the west at Crown Bay.

Edited by bluemarble

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

... I've concluded that the second cruise ship to the right in the photo is probably the Marella Explorer. ...

Or it could just as well be Marella Explorer's sister ship currently known as Mein Schiff Herz (previously Mein Schiff 2). The paint scheme in the photo does seem to match the previous Mein Schiff 2 a little bit better.

You are right bluemarble- it is the ex Mein Schiff 2 - now " Mein Schiff Herz" ( what a stupid name- but thats just my opinion) !

Havensight cruise port- indeed- taken from the top of Paradies Point.

St. Thomas , esp. Paradies Point I will sure visit again some day- whenever that will be.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

HH, I haven't been able to work out the location of your latest photo (yet), but after detailed forensic analysis 🙂 I've concluded that the second cruise ship to the right in the photo is probably the Marella Explorer.

I think at the time she was called Mein Schiff. I'll have a look if I have a better photograph.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I think at the time she was called Mein Schiff. I'll have a look if I have a better photograph.

Yeah, the more I study your photo the more apparent it becomes that the other ship is either Marella Explorer's previous incarnation as Mein Schiff / Mein Schiff 1 or else her sister ship which was previously known as Mein Schiff 2. Either way, a better photo would be good to help confirm that I've earned the bonus point for that one. 🙂