Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

There's a port in Chile that would have been great for our Q challenge if Cunard had ever called there.  I saw it on google maps in my unsuccessful search for carlmm's Hilo Hawaii photo. 

Iquique, Chile

Two q's in one name, and q is the only consonant in the name, all the other letters being vowels.

• Like 1

That completes all the 'q' ports that I am aware of. Here's the list, pending anyone coming up with any more ports to add of course.

1. Quebec City, Quebec
2. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3. Whitsunday Islands/Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia
4. Cairns, Queensland, Australia
5. Coquimbo, Chile
6. Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
7. Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia
8. Fort-de-France, Martinique
9. Aqaba, Jordan
10. Sarande, Shqipëri (Albania)
11. Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
12. Doha, Qatar
13. Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia
14. Sept-Iles, Quebec, Canada
15. South Queensferry, Scotland
16. Saint-Nazaire, Loire-Atlantique, France
17. Costa Maya/Mahahual, Quintana Roo, Mexico
18. Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
19. Le Verdon, Aquitaine, France
20. Gaspé, Quebec, Canada
21. Port Sultan Qaboos, Muscat, Oman

22. Saguenay, Quebec, Canada

I appreciate all the responses to this little game and what I've learned along the way. I hope those who have played along (or perhaps just watched) have enjoyed it. I now return you to our regular port photo identification game.

• Like 3

@bluemarble I think the chances are low that any Cunard ships have visited the below Q ports.  But perhaps if you have a free moment they are worth a quick search in your files.  I could not find any references from a google search of Cunard + {port name}, but your excellent library of itineraries may be a better source.

Qingdao, China

Quy Nhon, Vietnam

Barranquilla, Colombia

Itaqui, Brazil

8 hours ago, sfred said:

@bluemarble I think the chances are low that any Cunard ships have visited the below Q ports.  But perhaps if you have a free moment they are worth a quick search in your files.  I could not find any references from a google search of Cunard + {port name}, but your excellent library of itineraries may be a better source.

Qingdao, China

Quy Nhon, Vietnam

Barranquilla, Colombia

Itaqui, Brazil

Excellent investigating for potential candidate ports. But no, I'm not seeing any of those ports listed in itineraries for the current Cunard fleet.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I suppose we can't do anything with something like (Genoa for) Cinque Terre?

Thank you so much for this most enjoyable game. I am hoping you have more obscure letters up your sleeve.

Once again, I like your thinking there. But yes, that's probably stretching the premise too far to include destinations near the ports. I'd be more inclined if the itineraries actually listed it as "Genoa (for Cinque Terre)" or "Cinque Terre (Genoa)". If we got into places near the  ports, we would need to include places like Queens, New York, a borough neighboring Brooklyn or perhaps lots of places in Queensland, Australia near the ports there and then I'm afraid the game could go on almost indefinitely.

I don't know if I want to repeat this same game with another obscure letter. I appreciate the encouragement, but we've already discussed the letter 'x' pretty well and 'z' would include all of New Zealand, Brazil and the Azores. Perhaps I can come up with another game involving some other kind of word play on the port names. I'll give that some thought.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2020 at 3:21 PM, carlmm said:

Too easy? Where in the world?

Quest 12.JPG

On 10/31/2020 at 5:48 PM, Lanky Lad said:

That looks like the river Elbe?

On 10/31/2020 at 7:20 PM, carlmm said:

Interesting answer! Indeed it does look a bit like Elbchaussee.

But no, it is not in Germany.

It was a tender port.

No idea? This might help:

While I was standing on deck of the the Caronia when I took the  above picture, small boats can go right into town:

DSC06281 (2).JPG

Edited by carlmm

50 minutes ago, carlmm said:

No idea? This might help:

While I was standing on deck of the the Caronia when I took the  above picture, small boats can go right into town:

DSC06281 (2).JPG

I'll take a wild guess at Falmouth, Cornwall in England. That's what it looks like anyway.

Edited by Ray66
typo
  • Like 1

Since I promised I'd give some thought to devising another puzzle involving Cunard cruise port names, here's one I've come up with. This one might be a bit harder than finding port names that contain the letter 'q'.

What port, where any of the current Cunard ships have called, contains three consecutive letters in its name that appear in consecutive alphabetical order?

To illustrate, if the village of Morston on England's Norfolk coast happened to be a Cunard cruise port, it would qualify as an answer to this question since the name Morston contains the three letters 'r', 's' and 't' in that order with no other letters between them and no letters skipped or repeated in the alphabetical sequence of those three letters.

For the purposes of this question, I'm only looking at the name of the port's city/town/village. I'm not considering the name of the port's county/state/province/island or country.

I have only managed to find one port name that works. Let's see if you can come up with that one and perhaps others.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Since I promised I'd give some thought to devising another puzzle involving Cunard cruise port names, here's one I've come up with. This one might be a bit harder than finding port names that contain the letter 'q'.

What port, where any of the current Cunard ships have called, contains three consecutive letters in its name that appear in consecutive alphabetical order?

To illustrate, if the village of Morston on England's Norfolk coast happened to be a Cunard cruise port, it would qualify as an answer to this question since the name Morston contains the three letters 'r', 's' and 't' in that order with no other letters between them and no letters skipped or repeated in the alphabetical sequence of those three letters.

For the purposes of this question, I'm only looking at the name of the port's city/town/village. I'm not considering the name of the port's county/state/province/island or country.

I have only managed to find one port name that works. Let's see if you can come up with that one and perhaps others.

Assuming the alphabet is circular not linear, can we count Port Elizabeth with zab?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I'll take a wild guess at Falmouth, Cornwall in England. That's what it looks like anyway.

Perfectly correct.

I had guessed a British cruise friend would recognize Falmouth.

Very good.

@bluemarble Now we have two towns named Falmouth on the port list.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Assuming the alphabet is circular not linear, can we count Port Elizabeth with zab?

Once again a very creative solution. I was not considering circular alphabetical order, but since I didn't specifically rule that out, I'll accept that as one solution.

Now, what port name(s) can we find that don't use circular alphabetical order (or reverse alphabetical order, or an alphabet other than the modern English alphabet for that matter since I didn't specifically rule those out before now either)?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Once again a very creative solution. I was not considering circular alphabetical order, but since I didn't specifically rule that out, I'll accept that as one solution.

Now, what port name(s) can we find that don't use circular alphabetical order (or reverse alphabetical order, or an alphabet other than the modern English alphabet for that matter since I didn't specifically rule those out before now either)?

Alas, I've found four near misses, which I may bore you with in due course, but nothing mentioned in my most recent brochure (largely a work of fiction anyway) seems to comply. 😀😂

32 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Does Fort-de-France, Martinique count?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlmm said:

Does Fort-de-France, Martinique count?

Another creative solution that I'll accept since I hadn't specifically ruled out special characters, just other letters between the three consecutive letters def.

Now, what other port name(s) can we find where the three letters appear without any intervening characters of any kind including a space.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Similarly, has any of them ever been to the Island of Lemnos?

Another good effort, although I believe the name of the city/town/village for the port there would be Myrnia. In any event, I'm not seeing calls to Lemnos/Limnos by any of the Cunard ships.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Clearly you are going to reject the suggestion that we look on i and j as the same letter and allow Ketchikan. Just teasing.

I meant to reply earlier, after the answer was revealed, how you were on the right track with that comment. I don't know much about the Dutch language, but I suppose the original Dutch for "Kralendijk" might have involved the use of the 'ij' diagraph which gets separated into the individual letters 'i' and 'j' when represented in English.

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Harstad Norway.  Several other cruise lines have visited, but unfortunately no Cunard ship in my research.