Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

8 hours ago, sfred said:

Santos, Brazil (the port for Sao Paulo) gets lots of cruise ships from MSC, Holland, Costa, etc..  Has Cunard called there?

I'm not seeing any past itineraries for the current Cunard fleet calling at Santos. The voyages I'm seeing in that area invariably sailed directly between Rio de Janeiro and Montevideo without a stop at Santos.

This is worth a special mention though since Santos was going to be a port of call on QM2's originally scheduled 2022 Grand Caribbean & South America voyage. That's now been changed to a more conventional world voyage for QM2 in 2020. But the original intention had been for Santos to be a future QM2 port of call.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Klaksvík, Faroe Islands

Good catch. I had forgotten about that port we identified earlier which was an added port for QV in June 2013. It doesn't show up on any of the itineraries but was most definitely a port of call for QV.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Not sure about this one. Usually called Porto, I have seen it listed in itineraries as ...

Oporto.

This one gets into a bit of a grey area since I guess the port for Oporto is technically Leixões. Sometimes the itineraries state "Oporto (tours from Leixões)". I'm not sure how well Leixões actually qualifies as the town/city for that port and sometimes the itineraries simply state Oporto, so I was intending to accept Oporto as an answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This one gets into a bit of a grey area since I guess the port for Oporto is technically Leixões. Sometimes the itineraries state "Oporto (tours from Leixões)". I'm not sure how well Leixões actually qualifies as the town/city for that port and sometimes the itineraries simply state Oporto, so I was intending to accept Oporto as an answer.

If I recall correctly - and sometimes I actually do - the town at that location is technically Matosinhos, which is in the district of, but not actually within the municipality of Oporto. However, one can pick up the light rail very near the port and take public transit all the way into the central city, so I'd say it qualifies. Sort of comparable to being able to tell where Chicago ends and Evanston begins.

2 minutes ago, sfred said:

Antalya, Turkey.  @bluemarblementioned that this was a replacement port call for QE in November 2012 when some other eastern med locations got cancelled.

No excuse for me forgetting Antalya (as with Klaksvik), but I did. OK, my excuse is that it isn't on any itineraries, but after all it is a port I visited! Well done.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm not seeing any past itineraries for the current Cunard fleet calling at Santos. The voyages I'm seeing in that area invariably sailed directly between Rio de Janeiro and Montevideo without a stop at Santos.

This is worth a special mention though since Santos was going to be a port of call on QM2's originally scheduled 2022 Grand Caribbean & South America voyage. That's now been changed to a more conventional world voyage for QM2 in 2020. But the original intention had been for Santos to be a future QM2 port of call.

Thanks for checking.  I had remembered seeing Santos in the promotional material for QM2's original South America itinerary, so thought perhaps there had been calls there in the past. 

Here's our updated list so far of Cunard port names that begin and end with the same letter.

1. Liverpool (England)

2. Oslo (Norway)

3. Gothenburg (Sweden)

4. Sept-Îles (Quebec)

5. A Coruña (Spain)

6. Alexandria (Egypt)

7. St. John's (Newfoundland)

8. St. John's (Antigua)

9. Akaroa (New Zealand)

10. Apia (Samoa)

11. Aqaba (Jordan)

12. St. George's (Grenada)

13. Kralendijk (Bonaire)

14. Klaksvik (Faroe Islands)
15. Oporto (Portugal)
16. Newhaven (Scotland)
17. Elsinore (Denmark)

18. Antalya (Turkey)

There are 6 remaining to be identified that I've found. They have a wide geographic distribution representing five different continents.

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

The Alaskan port of call known as  Icy Strait Point is actually located in the village of Hoonah (or just a short walk outside the village).

I'll accept that. I did ask for the name of the city/town/village at the port and Hoonah does qualify on that basis. That's not one I had found, so still 6 more to go.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:11 AM, Underwatr said:

I think my 2012 Princess itinerary called it Helsingborg and left it to us to figure out what that big building/castle was.

It was a tender port for Queen Mary 2. I took the ferry between Elsinore and Helsingborg, they are very close together the ride was under half an hour.

3 hours ago, Yaldi said:

It was a tender port for Queen Mary 2. I took the ferry between Elsinore and Helsingborg, they are very close together the ride was under half an hour.

Tender port for Caribbean Princess as well. I had walked DW's feet off in Copenhagen the day before and we desperately needed to shop for good walking shoes (at Scandinavian prices - ouch) so we just remained in Helsingborg.

It's Sunday morning here in Australia, and the wife says I have to play outside for the rest of the day.  🙂  So I'll make my day's contribution now. 

Kodiak, Alaska USA

QE's maiden call there was on the transpacific crossing from Japan to Alaska, on 15 May 2019.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1