Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 minutes ago, sfred said:

Harstad Norway.  Several other cruise lines have visited, but unfortunately no Cunard ship in my research.

Another good candidate indeed. But as you say, not a port for the current Cunard ships. The only "...stad" Cunard ports I'm seeing are Willemstad (Curacao) and Oranjestad (Aruba).

Here's a Cunard cruise port question which can be answered without needing to know anything about past itineraries or in fact without needing to do any research at all. I'm confident this one will be solved fairly quickly.

What do these three Cunard port names have in common?

Buenos Aires
English Harbour
Sihanoukville

Now there could be any number of interesting things these ports themselves have in common, but I'm looking for some interesting property shared by these three port names.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

They contain all the vowels?

As I expected, that didn't take long at all. That's the answer I was looking for. A far as I can tell, these are the only three names of ports visited by the current Cunard ships that contain all the vowels.

I know of one other Cunard destination that's not an actual port name which has this property as well. That's Tierra del Fuego.

I think English Harbour has the added distinction of being the only Cunard port name that contains each of the vowels exactly once.

• Like 2

In the same spirit as our earlier 'q' port game, how about this one?

Name a port, where one of the current Cunard ships has called, that begins and ends with the same letter. If the port name consists of multiple words, use the initial letter of the first word and final letter of the last word.

For the purposes of this game, I'm only looking at the name of the port's city/town/village, and not considering anything else such as the port's county/state/province, island, region, country or any other administrative unit. Note this restriction means "Aruba" and "St Thomas" do not work, because those are the port's islands rather than "Oranjestad" and "Charlotte Amalie", the names of those port's towns respectively.

Once again, please contribute only one answer per day to let everyone who wants to contribute a chance to do so. There are plenty to go around that I've found.

I'll start the list with a port that's quite popular.

1. Liverpool

Edited by bluemarble

6 hours ago, sfred said:

I don't think the current Cunard fleet has been to either

New Haven, CT, USA

New London, CT, USA

but perhaps QM2 has popped in during a past New England/Canada voyage that I'm unaware of.

Sorry, I'm not seeing any calls by the current Cunard fleet to either of those ports.

Just to avoid any potential confusion, I'm going to join exlondoner and also contribute St. John's today.

We have calls listed in the Cunard itineraries to both St. John's, Newfoundland and St. John's, Antigua. I'll add both of those to our list.

Here's our list so far of Cunard port names that begin and end with the same letter.

1. Liverpool (England)

2. Oslo (Norway)

3. Gothenburg (Sweden)

4. Sept-Îles (Quebec)

5. A Coruña (Spain)

6. Alexandria (Egypt)

7. St. John's (Newfoundland)

8. St. John's (Antigua)

9. Akaroa (New Zealand)

10. Apia (Samoa)

11. Aqaba (Jordan)

12. St. George's (Grenada)

Edited by bluemarble

27 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

How many more do you think there are ?

Looks like we have 10 more from what I'm seeing.

Edit to add: I think 5 of them have been previously mentioned on this thread and 5 of them have not.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1