Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Here's the status of our game to find month abbreviations within Cunard port names.

Jan = Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Mar = Marseille, France & Santa Margherita, Italy
May = Chan May, Vietnam & Costa Maya, Mexico
Jun = Juneau, Alaska
Aug = Haugesund, Norway
Sep = Sept-Îles, Quebec

That leaves one port each for "Apr" and "Nov" that I've found.

You won't find the "Nov" port listed as such in English language Cunard itineraries. The trick is to take advantage of the rule I mentioned for this game that allows you to use the local spelling for the port name. You will find the "Nov" port listed in itineraries on the Cunard-affiliated site for the port's country.

The "Apr" port is on a Pacific island. You won't find it listed in Cunard itineraries since they only list the island name, not the name of the port where the ships dock.

Capri was discussed a few posts ago, as far as I know Naples is the port of call with Capri as an excursion.

Off topic but we were due to call at Capri with Azamara but it was cancelled due to a dispute over the use of tenders. The company paid for our ferry tickets from Sorrento instead.

Here's one more Cunard port word game question submitted for your consideration. I'm not sure if this is our most devious word game yet or if it will be solved quickly. No lists of port names to come up with this time. I’ll provide a lengthy list of names as part of the question.

What do these names of Cunard ports, as well as some of the cities, excursion destinations, islands, states, provinces, counties, regions and countries served by Cunard ports have in common?

Akita*, Alaska, Anchorage, Argyll, Bangkok, Bergen*, Berlin, Boston, Brazil, Brindisi*, Burnie, Cairns, Canada*, Capri, Charleston*, Chile, China, Cochin, Concord, Cork, Curacao, Cyprus, Devonport*, Esperance, Everglades, Fife, Flam, Genoa, Greece*, Guernsey, Hamburg, India*, Japan, Jordan, Lima, Madeira, Malacca, Manhattan, Manila, Manta, Marseille*, Morocco, Muscat, Nice, Olden, Panama, Paris, Penang, Philippines*, Portland*, Quebec*, Reunion, Russia*, Shanghai, Shetland, Sitka*, Spain*, Split, Tangier, Turkey, Valencia, Victoria, Wales, Wellington*

*Ignore these names if you are in North America.

OK, I guess that last question of mine is pretty diabolical. Time for some hints. See if these help any.

I've noticed the Channel Island of Jersey has a destination page on the Cunard website. On that basis, "Jersey" also qualifies for inclusion on that list of Cunard destinations that all have something in common.

The Cunard excursion destination of Ghent in Belgium does not qualify for inclusion on the list. But if we use the alternate spelling of "Gent" for that city, then that name does qualify for inclusion.

The Caribbean island destination of Grand Cayman does not qualify for inclusion on the list. But if we split that name into "Grand" and "Cayman" and if we could somehow still consider those to represent a Cunard destination, then those two separate parts of the island name would each qualify for inclusion.

• Thanks 1

I was already working on the spellings, letter combinations, etc as the link. And the clues about Gent/Ghent, Grand and Cayman seem to suggest I’m not wasting my time.

What I can’t figure out is why the location of the person answering the question is important.

7 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

I have not been able to check this but are are they all words that can be used in Scrabble -maybe the ones in red cannot be   (officially)used in North American Scrabble?

We have a winner! All of the destination names listed are words that can be found in the official Scrabble word list for English-language play for most of the world, known as the "Collins Scrabble Words" and also known as the SOWPODS list. For Scrabble play in the US and Canada, there is a shorter word list that does not include the destination names listed in red.

• Like 1

To keep this thread going a little longer, here's a return to Cunard port photos. I've run out of photos of ports we haven't already seen here before that were taken during Cunard voyages. But I haven't run out of photos of Cunard ports that happen to have been taken during cruises on other lines. So given the caveat that this photo was not actually taken during a Cunard cruise, which Cunard port that we haven't seen before on this thread is this?

image.thumb.png.687cca15c2c0df8025a719889fa572a9.png