Occidental Grand Cozumel for day pass, experiences please

JYL

9 hours ago, JYL said:

I'm considering Occidental Gand and would appreciate comments from anyone who has been there. TIA, Judy

We stayed there a number of years ago and have done a day pass to sister hotel,Allegro, through a broker without any problems.

Since that time both properties have been sold to Barcelo, so I can’t  comment on current policies. If you have any specific questions regarding the properties,  I would be happy to try and help. Not sure if either are offering day passes under current situation or restricting  facilities to hotel  guests.

We have enjoyed day passes to several resort hotels on Cozumel. I think as a cruise ship visitor my biggest consideration is the hours the ship is in port ( taking ship time/ local time into account) and the hours the day pass is valid for, to see  if it is economically worthwhile. Also if alcohol is important to you, I would check directly with the hotel when they start serving alcohol as there are Quintana Roo restrictions for certain places as to when they can begin (11/12?). I know Barcelo adheres to this, or at least they did.

We haven't experienced problems with hotel day passes but I know there have been reports in the past about timeshare  vendors bothering guests (generally not specifically at Occidental) and reports on TA suggest this may have increased again since the shutdown for Covid.

c-leg5,

Thanks for all the information. My cruise is in Feb, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I switched my cabin today to the aft corner balcony! Anyway, I don't drink much, but just thought it would be nice to have a pool, ocean, and free food. I think they did state liquor after noon. Happy cruising! 

1 hour ago, JYL said:

c-leg5,

Thanks for all the information. My cruise is in Feb, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I switched my cabin today to the aft corner balcony! Anyway, I don't drink much, but just thought it would be nice to have a pool, ocean, and free food. I think they did state liquor after noon. Happy cruising! 

OK, keeping in mind policies could have changed - we enjoyed our stay there. We wouldn’t STAY there again because we prefer to stay in town but would happily do a day visit again. The grounds are well maintained.

It is a LONG walk from main entrance to the beach due to the mangroves which needs to be considered by people with limited mobility. The only time it bothered us was if the weather was inclement  - they shut the normal lunch buffet, which is beach side and you had to walk back and forth to main buildings for lunch. There are  a couple of pools - one by the ocean and one halfway back to main buildings, quiet and adult only if I remember correctly. 

we liked Occidental better for adults, Allegro for kids. If the search engine on here us working there have been threads on here before with my review and other people’s. HTH.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JYL said:

Thanks serene56 and c-leg5. Still weighing the options. I think Nachi is a buffet vs being able to order anytime from a menu? 

No, Nachi has a menu. You can Google for online photos. Ignore the prices, the day pass includes 4 courses (prices are for people staying at their affiliated hotels). You can space out your courses but I would suggest ordering ahead of needing them - they ran out of desert early on when we were there.

Sanchos has had options of buffet or menu for AI guests but no saying what will be available going forward.  

1 hour ago, JYL said:

I think I'm leaning toward Nachi. So c-leg5, what are the 4 courses? appetizer, entree, dessert, and ??? Thanks for your input. 🙂

So long as you don’t take advantage (4 entrees!) I don't think it is too critical. Couple of starters, or a starter and soup or ceviche, for example. 

This thread may help although a little dated and I think it actually states 3 courses.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks John. The more I research the more indecisive I am. Come on Judy, it's not life and death! ... We want good food, plenty of it, and a relaxing day. 

Thank to everyone for your posts.

For good food, good drinks, great service, and an uncrowded and relaxed atmosphere you cannot go wrong with Nachi. 😎  Limited to 130 guests per day (at least it was pre-virus), with a small pool w/swim up bar and a hot tub, plus lots of beach, shade, and massages, etc. it is our go to place on Cozumel after being crowded on the pool deck of the ship.

On 9/21/2020 at 3:08 PM, JYL said:

Thanks serene56 and c-leg5. Still weighing the options. I think Nachi is a buffet vs being able to order anytime from a menu? 

Occidental is a buffet too.  No dining places are opened at lunch time 

• 2 weeks later...

Had the best authentic Ultimate Nachos I've eaten in the last 25 years or more at Nachi Coccum about 2 years ago. Freshest and most authentic guacamole I've ever eaten in my life. 

The folks at Nachi really focus on the quality of their food and you can tell it. I'm not sure I would venture anywhere but Nachi on Cozumel.

Great drinks, superior food, atmosphere can't be beat. The beach is awesome. Nachi is a winner everytime.

• Like 1

No problem, I certainly hope it works out for you, been to Nachi twice I just like the vibe there. Super laid back incredibly quiet, authentic Mexican food and cold beers. Great beach. Service is wonderful, never a worry.

To JohninDC I've never made it through dessert either. Food at Nachi is da bomb. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

What did you all pay for taxis to Nachi Cocom?  Thanks for the help.

There will be a board with the current cab fares to most of the popular tourist spots near the cab line for your pier.  Used to be about $16-17 each way, and the fare covered up to 4 passengers sharing the taxi - so pair up with others from your roll call.  It never hurts to verify the cab fare BEFORE you get into the taxi.

Nachi has never been offered as a cruise line excursion, so your opportunity to go off on your own to the beach of your choice may be limited until we are out of this virus situation.

• Like 1