Sky Princess Baja Aft facing cabin - need info....

smelmel

I am trying to find a photo of Aft facing (D4) Cabins on Baja deck, without any success. I know goggle is my friend but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Are these cabins (B 736, 738, 739, 737) partially covered by over hang, totally covered or no coverage from the above deck (Aloha)? Would appreciate any info on these balconies - Thanks!

3 minutes ago, smelmel said:

I am trying to find a photo of Aft facing (D4) Cabins on Baja deck, without any success. I know goggle is my friend but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Are these cabins (B 736, 738, 739, 737) partially covered by over hang, totally covered or no coverage from the above deck (Aloha)? Would appreciate any info on these balconies - Thanks!

They will have a partial covering from deck above. Partial covered, partial uncovered.  

1 minute ago, Sea Hag said:

Cruise Deckplans says that those balconies are open to view from above, so I think no coverage.

I take that back. I agree with reedprincess. I'm seeing a pic on Cruise Deckplans of B737 on the Royal that shows partial shade. It would be the same on the Sky.

2 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

They will have a partial covering from deck above. Partial covered, partial uncovered.  

Thank you, thank you!  That's what I was hoping for - a larger balcony that is partial covered. I was on the Sky last December & booked a deluxe balcony on the Caribe deck & was very disappointed on the size of the balcony. 

3 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Cruise Deckplans says that those balconies are open to view from above, so I think no coverage.

Just now, Sea Hag said:

I take that back. I agree with reedprincess. I'm seeing a pic on Cruise Deckplans of B737 on the Royal that shows partial shade. It would be the same on the Sky.

It's not very clear, that's why I was questioning. I know the Royal & Sky are sister  Royal class ships but not sure they are identical.

9 minutes ago, smelmel said:

It's not very clear, that's why I was questioning. I know the Royal & Sky are sister  Royal class ships but not sure they are identical.

They aren't identical, but I think as far as the aft balconies go it's pretty safe to assume that they're the same. 

See the source image

See the source image

Looking at this photo - the sky doesn't look the same as the royal- maybe it's just the angle or I've been staring at it too long 😉  The 1st deck with balconies is Emerald, Dolphin, Caribe (it looks like these balconies do not have any coverage) & then Baja . The Baja deck looks to be totally covered, but I didn't think it was - hoping someone with a better photo or who has stayed in one of these cabins will chime & let me know for sure.

Thanks everyone for you input!

Be forewarned, we had an aft Penthouse Suite on the Royal last year.  It was totally unusable due to all the soot from the exhaust stacks.  So having the awesome balcony was pretty worthless for us.

You might fare better if you have a great room steward who is consistently cleaning it off.  Our's wasn't very good.  I did see on decks below us that the steward was out there every day wiping off the railing; not sure if they were cleaning the furniture or the deck floor too.

Good luck!

19 minutes ago, SDWalt said:

Be forewarned, we had an aft Penthouse Suite on the Royal last year.  It was totally unusable due to all the soot from the exhaust stacks.  So having the awesome balcony was pretty worthless for us.

You might fare better if you have a great room steward who is consistently cleaning it off.  Our's wasn't very good.  I did see on decks below us that the steward was out there every day wiping off the railing; not sure if they were cleaning the furniture or the deck floor too.

Good luck!

Good to know, I haven't read much about the soot issues lately - I know when the Regal & Royal 1st came out it was a very hot topic.

16 hours ago, SDWalt said:

Good luck!

do all aft suites on all decks suffer from soot issues?

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

do all aft suites on all decks suffer from soot issues?

We had an AFT facing suite on the Emerald & had no problem at all with soot. Not sure if we were just lucky or if it's more of an issue with the newer Royal Class ships.

33 minutes ago, smelmel said:

We had an AFT facing suite on the Emerald & had no problem at all with soot. Not sure if we were just lucky or if it's more of an issue with the newer Royal Class ships.

It's a Royal Class issue...

We love the Grand Class aft suites.  Other than the one PH suite on the Royal all of our other cruises have been on the Grand Class.  One Grand Suite (fabulous by the way, well worth it once before they are all gone) and the rest were Owner's Suites.  Those balconies are fantastic!  And we love all the extra space with the addition of the dining table for four. 

On 8/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, smelmel said:

Thank you, thank you!  That's what I was hoping for - a larger balcony that is partial covered. I was on the Sky last December & booked a deluxe balcony on the Caribe deck & was very disappointed on the size of the balcony. 

It is helpful to go to the Princess website and look at the

deck plans for the ship in which you are interested.

The larger aft balconies for the Sky are on the following decks:

Dolphin, Baja, Riviera, Marina. Then I search for aft photos on the

ship in question. On the Royal, the covered/ partially covered aft balconies

are on the Dolphin and Baja decks.

19 minutes ago, nini said:

It is helpful to go to the Princess website and look at the

deck plans for the ship in which you are interested.

The larger aft balconies for the Sky are on the following decks:

Dolphin, Baja, Riviera, Marina. Then I search for aft photos on the

ship in question. On the Royal, the covered/ partially covered aft balconies

are on the Dolphin and Baja decks.

All good advice - thanks! 
The photos that Lew posted & one I found of the Majestic (below) really helped us to decided which cabin would be best for us.image.png.59e0cd3cda7aaed6c32bc523c63d7837.png

• 10 months later...