Need help from those who have cruised Europe

ceoswis

3 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

The size of ship allowed into a port is a different matter than perceptions of "life" on the ship.

For instance,  I plan on cruising to Antartica. They only allow ships fewer than 500 people to port and disembark. So, I'll be on a small ship as I have no choice. However, my onboard experience will vary very little from when I was on a 3000 person ship at the port of Rome. It's all a floating hotel to me.

Passengers have no control of the size of ship allowed at the various ports. Choose the ports/itinerary you want and the regulations will dictate the available options.

I never said anything about the size of a ship allowed in port. I simply would not want to pull into a port where the arrival a 3,000 or more passenger cruise ship spikes the city's population by 30% or more.

There may be trade-offs on ports and getting the right size ship. Here are a couple itineraries from Oceania.

Aegean Medley

Aegean Glories

Look at the ports and timing, not so much the specific ship/line.

Have a look at the Greek Cypriot line, Celestyal- one of the few lines to have bought a ship in this pandemic! They cruise around many of the Greek islands, some untouched by most cruise ships.

Edited by jocap
old age

10 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I'm wholeheartedly the person that thinks the ship doesn't matter. For me, the ship is just transportation and hotel. I place no further expectations on the ship/cruise line than I would on Delta Airlines or the Hilton Hotel. 

As long as food and basic entertainment is available,  I'm fine. I get more excited by the thought of seeing Rome than seeing whatever show is playing in the theater. If I want a great show, I'll fly to NYC and see it on Broadway.

You certainly are entitled to that opinion. My argument is, if the ship doesn’t matter, why not just cruise on the ferry lines?  They have staterooms, cafeterias and usually have some form of entertainment. Personally, if I’m going to opt for a European cruise rather than a land vacation, I’d prefer to be on a line I enjoy as well. 

3 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

You certainly are entitled to that opinion. My argument is, if the ship doesn’t matter, why not just cruise on the ferry lines?  They have staterooms, cafeterias and usually have some form of entertainment. Personally, if I’m going to opt for a European cruise rather than a land vacation, I’d prefer to be on a line I enjoy as well. 

The problem with cruising the ferry lines is...when you arrive in your next port in the morning, what do you do with your luggage during the day while you are sightseeing?  If it's a port with considerable attractions, you might have a hotel for a night with nearly two days to explore - before you get on the next overnight ferry.  It certainly would make you pack light...  EM

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The problem with cruising the ferry lines is...when you arrive in your next port in the morning, what do you do with your luggage during the day while you are sightseeing?  If it's a port with considerable attractions, you might have a hotel for a night with nearly two days to explore - before you get on the next overnight ferry.  It certainly would make you pack light...  EM

The only way cruising on ferries is if you plan on hotels for a night or two at each stop (a great way to visit the Aegean islands).  Hauling even carry-ons is a way to give yourself a very bad time visiting any port. 

We have done ferry cruising in Greece several times, and down the Croation coast.  The only overnight ferry we have taken is Dubrovnik-Bari.   The ferry routes are grouped by islands.  Ferry travel with groups is very frequent, between island groups much less frequent depending on time of year.  Reasonable ferry  connections to some beautiful and interesting spots along the Turkish coast.

We typically spend a few days at each stop, longer for a large island such as Crete.  If we like the island we will stay longer, if not we may move on after one or two days.  

We each travel with a 20" carry on roller about 8KGs.  That is the secret for us.  It makes our travel much easier and much more enjoyable.  Many hosts will meet you at the ferry and drive you to your accommodation.  We only take what we can each physically handle with ease.

We have done the same for multiple winters in Thailand where our trips have been on everything from a private long tail boat to a fast ferry.

Since retiring these have been some of our most enjoyable trips.

Edited by iancal