Can I convert from GTY is a room I want opens up

thepla

We're booked NY --> Bermuda next July. When I booked it, months ago, Inside was 1299 and to get an ocean view (Insignia) category without obstruction was 500 more per person and just did not make sense. We normally try to do Balcony but that was like $1000 per person more. In last month our cabin went down to 1199 so I changed. Now with the 4 category upgrade sale Deluxe Oceanview C2 went to 1199. I jumped on that. So in my mind I have a great upgrade and 100 bucks per person from what I was happy to pay for cruise.

Now I realize Balcony B2 is $1449, I went to switch and only cabin left was Balcony with metal obstruction so I opted out. My agent called and was able to get me a GTY instead of that last cabin. Once again to me it's not like I'm paying $500 total for total people it is really like $300 total from my original. I would have gladly paid 1449 from beginning. 

Let's fast forward, hopefully, and I monitor and a B2 opens up that is not this cabin I'd prefer not to have. Can I call and get moved from GTY to a cabin since I am now booked in GTY? I have never really been cheap on a vacation but a balcony was almost $2000 more and first two categories of Oceanview were not much more but view seemed lousy.

I understand I can get cabin I'd prefer not to have but if that, to me is worst choice, I can only get better in my category.

Edited by thepla

47 minutes ago, thepla said:

Can I call and get moved from GTY to a cabin since I am now booked in GTY?

In a word, no.

Sounds like your Agent did not explain the Guarantee Process adequately.

When buying a Guarantee, Oceania picks the room, not the passenger.  

4 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

In a word, no.

Sounds like your Agent did not explain the Guarantee Process adequately.

When buying a Guarantee, Oceania picks the room, not the passenger.  

Logically that is what I thought because my experience has been (other cruises) is GTY is less money. I;m OK with way it played out. I felt cabin available was least desirable but still a Balcony and that is worst case scenario. Weirdly category I'm in is now WAITLIST state. Either way looking forward to trying Oceania.

If you see a cabin open in the cat you booked  a GTY in  just ask your TA to book it for you

It is not like the GTY is cheaper  than  picking  a specific cabin like on some main stream lines

What B2 cabin were you offered with an obstruction?

Did they say what the metal obstruction was?

Some Obstructions you might be able to live with 

3 hours ago, thepla said:

Logically that is what I thought because my experience has been (other cruises) is GTY is less money. I;m OK with way it played out. I felt cabin available was least desirable but still a Balcony and that is worst case scenario. Weirdly category I'm in is now WAITLIST state. Either way looking forward to trying Oceania.

6089. I have a pic sent via Oceania Cruise rep. 

image001_1599618136069.png

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you see a cabin open in the cat you booked  a GTY in  just ask your TA to book it for you

It is not like the GTY is cheaper  than  picking  a specific cabin like on some main stream lines

What B2 cabin were you offered with an obstruction?

Did they say what the metal obstruction was?

Some Obstructions you might be able to live with 

Sorry quoted my other post. Here is a pic of cabin 6089. 

image001_1599618136069.png

11 hours ago, thepla said:

Sorry quoted my other post. Here is a pic of cabin 6089. 

Yes  it is the slope of the structure of the ship  but  I would be happy with that  if that is all you could get 

YMMV

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  it is the slope of the structure of the ship  but  I would be happy with that  if that is all you could get 

YMMV

I personally would never book a cabin so far aft because I really hate the engine vibration there.  But I am the person who will not sit in the aft 1/3 of the main dining room (just one deck below) if the ship is moving.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if Oceania is currently booking all rooms/suites or if it is holding back a certain percentage in case things improve Covid-wise by July.  But if they are, and things do improve, it might be possible to either change your reservation (and pay more) and get a better room.  Or later on, if Oceania feels like it, they may offer to sell you a better room/suite for more money.  In the past when they've done that with us, either when we've purchased a GTY on a room category, or an actual room, it has not seemed worth it to us to go for it.  But the price is normally less than what it had been originally, so for some people, it may be a good offer.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

19 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm not sure if Oceania is currently booking all rooms/suites or if it is holding back a certain percentage in case things improve Covid-wise by July.  But if they are, and things do improve, it might be possible to either change your reservation (and pay more) and get a better room.  Or later on, if Oceania feels like it, they may offer to sell you a better room/suite for more money.  In the past when they've done that with us, either when we've purchased a GTY on a room category, or an actual room, it has not seemed worth it to us to go for it.  But the price is normally less than what it had been originally, so for some people, it may be a good offer.

Actually in my case there was only one room left in that Balcony category and was one I did not want. Original agent said would not do GTY, my TA called back and was able to get GTY, with other one still available. I am pretty sure if one opens up I want I can get it for free. I figured this was worst balcony so why lock myself in. That category is now in waitlist state. Glad I did it. They had that 4 category upgrade it was free to go from lowest inside to best Oceanview for free and $250 per person for Balcony. Now the same room we have is $750 more per person. BTW Oceanview I had temporarily, like a couple hours, is in Waitlist state.

7 minutes ago, thepla said:

Actually in my case there was only one room left in that Balcony category and was one I did not want. Original agent said would not do GTY, my TA called back and was able to get GTY, with other one still available. I am pretty sure if one opens up I want I can get it for free. I figured this was worst balcony so why lock myself in. That category is now in waitlist state. Glad I did it. They had that 4 category upgrade it was free to go from lowest inside to best Oceanview for free and $250 per person for Balcony. Now the same room we have is $750 more per person. BTW Oceanview I had temporarily, like a couple hours, is in Waitlist state.

Yes, I think the 4 category upgrade promotion, while a little optimistically named, at least on the cruise I'm looking at, has resulted in some sales, with some lower categories going from GTY or available to Wait Listed.  The lower priced categories generally fill up fast, particularly since there aren't many of them!  On Marina and Riviera, there are only 4 G rooms, and 12 Fs, for total of 16 inside cabins.  I forget how many OVs there are, but not many!  We don't mind the inside cabins or the OVs, so snag them fast if we want them.