Drink Package

ariesknowbest

Only you can be the judge of that.

The drinks package when bought in the first two days includes the 15% Service Charge whereby buying from the menu 15% is added)

see

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/life-on-board/drink_cost

and 

https://ask.completecruisesolution.com/help/ext/cunard/life-on-board/drinks_package

Edited by Pennbank

6 hours ago, ariesknowbest said:

Is it worth it?

It really depends on how much you drink and what you drink. As far as I know the limit on the drinks package that includes all alcohol is $12, which for me is fine, as I would not purchase a drink that is over $10/11. I am also not fussy on what drinks I get, I am happy with cocktails and the lower value wines. I know you can only get single servings of spirits and I think the wine is 175ml from what I remember. There is a limit on 15 alcoholic drinks in 24 hours, twice myself and grandad hit the limit on a 5 night cruise, but this was a 2am, so I think that is pretty reasonable.

But the drinks package includes small bottled water, speciality coffees, soft drinks and alcohol which I think is a great deal. The cost of the drinks package includes the gratuity so you do not need to worry about that

What we did was have a couple of coffees before 12pm, and then have a few drinks before having a nap, and then have drinks in the evening. 

What I recommend doing is look at the drinks menu with the prices on, work out how much you would normally spend without the drinks package (include the gratuity on top as well), and then look at what you would spend with the drinks package, and even add a few bottles of water and coffees if you would normally not spend. 

I have tried to find the drinks menus for the bars that include the prices but cant find them. Hopefully someone else can share them. 

You'll have to run the numbers on what you personally drink. I couldn't make it work for me because many of the cocktails I like to drink are too expensive to be covered and I wouldn't drink enough on port days. I wouldn't want to drink more booze just to make a drinks package feel worthwhile.

• Like 1

Firstly  both people in  cabin must be drinkers for it to make sense. 

Then mathematically 5 drinks at near upper limit and it's breakeven or 4 plus two lattes. But there's more to think about,  as was said above , do you want to feel you have to drink every day,  are you happy with what you can get fot $12 etc etc. Very much a personal choice. There's more to the decision than the simple economics, but economically if your head , body  and decorum can take 15 drinks a day then you save a bundle.

I personally don't take it as I only drink in the evening, and the wines I like are not included. I don't think I could resist the pressure to make full use of it  and drink in the daytime,  so I don't buy it.

For me, no. 

It’s expensive and the rules are such that I’d personally feel the need to drink a lot everyday ‘to beat the house’ and get some semblance of value for money.

As an aside and if it helps, I’ve always found Cunard to be flexible with bringing a couple of bottles onboard. 

Edited by AspirationalFlyer
Correction

is there a number of days restriction on buying a drinks package? For example the P&O package is not available on cruises of less than 7 days duration. I am on the 4 day Scotland cruise by cruise in March next year (covid willing) so the drinks package may not be available. 

As so many people are saying, it is really a decision to be made regarding your personality and how much you want to drink on board (AND what you want to drink).

For us, the package would not have been worth it. It was a much better decision to pay for our drinks ourselves.

PLUS

Many of the specialty drinks I wanted on Cunard were more expensive than the threshold price under the "drinks package". (I love the beautiful cocktails in the Commodore Club!) 

Drinks above a certain price are not covered under the drinks package... people can get a discount on them if they are on the package... but only a discount on the full price of the drink.

What you don't get is the gratuity added to each drink bill if you are on the package. For some people that fact is worth it.

Just do the math for yourself.

My suggestion if you decide against the package- put some money into your account when you get on board...

I see that as my fun spending money. It's like setting a budget- but more enjoyable.

That way I am not hit with a big bill at the end.

I would rather say to myself, this is what I am setting aside for drinks, fun, and souvenirs... put in the $ at the start... and have a relaxing trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

is there a number of days restriction on buying a drinks package? For example the P&O package is not available on cruises of less than 7 days duration. I am on the 4 day Scotland cruise by cruise in March next year (covid willing) so the drinks package may not be available. 

Used to be 5 Nights or more, with ability to purchase within 2 days of Boarding,  see my post #2 above with links to Complete Cruise Solution web pages showing details.

Edited by Pennbank

51 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Used to be 5 Nights or more, with ability to purchase within 2 days of Boarding,  see my post #2 above with links to Complete Cruise Solution web pages showing details.

Thank you 🙂

This the present Drinks policy  being advertised 

What to know.
Affording you the opportunity to cover your bar tab in advance for a fixed daily price, our selection of  Drinks Options includes most drinks served on board. Prices are per person, per day and for the entire duration of your voyage, Drink Options are available on cruises of 5 nights or more. Each adult assigned to the same stateroom must purchase the same Option. Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 per day, there is no limit on soft or hot drinks.

A world of drinks.

Add an additional layer of convenience and flexibility to your voyage with one of our Drinks Options. Affording you the opportunity to cover your bar tab in advance, for a fixed daily price, our selection of Drinks Options includes most drinks served on board and start from as little as $10 per person, per day.

Adults | $69 per day

Our most comprehensive selection, the Beers, Wines & Spirits Option, includes most alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, as well as a wide variety of speciality hot drinks up to $12 per serving, as well as all the benefits of the Premium Non-Alcoholic Drinks Option. Includes: > An incredible array of beers, spirits, liqueurs, cocktails, and wines by the glass > Unlimited soft drinks and fruit juices, mocktails and small bottles of mineral water (500ml) > Unlimited speciality coffees, teas, and hot chocolates > 20% discount on any drinks not included in the Beers, Wines, & Spirits Option

Adults and Children | $29 per day
Enjoy unlimited refreshments from a range of soft drinks, small bottled waters, freshly squeezed juices, speciality hot drinks and non-alcoholic cocktails. Plus a 20% discount on any non-alcoholic drinks not included in the Premium Soft Drinks Option. Includes: > Unlimited hand crafted non-alcoholic cocktails, premium canned or bottled soft drinks and fruit juices, as well as draught soft drinks and small bottles of mineral waters > Unlimited illy speciality coffees, Tea Forté infusions and hot chocolates, including Godiva drinks where available > 20% discount on any non-alcoholic drinks not included in the Premium Soft Drinks Option.

Adults, Children and Infants | $10 per day

Enjoy unlimited draught soft drinks, selected fruit juices, squash and cordials. Includes: > Unlimited draught soft drinks such as Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, R Whites Lemonade, Britvic Indian Tonic Water and Soda Water > Unlimited selected long-life juices > Unlimited selected fruit squash and cordials

Adults and Children | $10 per day

Enjoy unlimited illy speciality coffees, Tea Forté infusions and hot chocolates. Includes: > Unlimited illy speciality coffees > Unlimited Tea Forté infusions > Unlimited hot chocolates

Soft Drinks Option - Terms and Conditions What is included: u Unlimited draught soft drinks, selected long-life juices, fruit squash and cordials. u 15% service charge for all included drinks. Package details and qualifications: u The Soft Drinks Option is charged per person, per day. u Each guest assigned to the same stateroom, with the exception of infants aged 3 years and under, must purchase the same Drinks Option. Sharing is not permitted. u The Soft Drinks Option applies to every day a guest is sailing other than day of disembarkation and is not offered on a per day basis. Partial / pro-rated packages or purchase for segments of a guest’s voyage are NOT accepted. For avoidance of doubt if the cruise is advertised as a 7 night voyage, then 7 shall be applied as the multiplier to the price of the Soft Drinks Option. u The Soft Drinks Option may be pre-purchased up to four days prior to boarding the vessel and is offered onboard on the first 2 days of your voyage. If you opt to purchase your Soft Drinks Option on day two, you pay only for the remaining nights of the voyage. u The Soft Drinks Option is STRICTLY NOT refundable or transferable once purchased onboard. If the Soft Drinks Option is purchased prior to the voyage, it is refundable no later than 3 days prior to departure. A full refund will be applied to the credit/ debit card used to make the original payment. u Only one drink at a time may be ordered. There is a minimum 10 minute wait time between ordering drinks. Sharing is not permitted. Guests or family members who would like to enjoy the Soft Drinks Option must purchase their own sticker. u The Soft Drinks Option is not available for Charter Cruises. u Any guest may purchase the Soft Drinks Option for themselves, regardless of age. Exclusions and limitations: u Alcoholic and Non-alcoholic beverages other than draught soft drinks, long-life juices, fruit squash and fruit cordials. u All drinks are served by the glass. u The Soft Drinks Option does not apply to any items offered in shops onboard. u The Soft Drinks Option cannot be used for Room Service or Mini-Bar items. Additionally, the package cannot offset the cost of, or be a substitution for, special or private events such as cocktail parties, wedding receptions or similar. u Excludes and is not combinable with other Programs, Promotions, Onboard Special Offers, or Events. u The drinks included in the Soft Drinks Option can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet, main restaurants, and alternative dining venues. Availability of specific brands and flavours may vary by ship or venue on board. u Cunard reserves the right to introduce exclusions or limitations without prior notice. u The Soft Drinks Option is only available on voyages of five nights or more. For avoidance of doubt, the voyage element must be advertised as at least a five night voyage. u Pricing is subject to change without prior notice and price adjustments (up or down) implemented on the day of sailing will replace any previously advertised price. Drink Options purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing, currency fluctuations and other factors. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such variances. u Local tax may apply for certain ports or itineraries which may be charged in addition to your Drinks Option. u Shipboard management also reserves the right to add additional restrictions and revoke or cancel the Soft Drinks Option at any point during a guest’s voyage for any reason without a refund, as appropriate. A guest’s Soft Drinks Option may be forfeited if they provide beverages to other guests or do NOT comply with the terms, conditions and limitations of the Drinks Option.

Edited by Pennbank

interestingly my wife and I drink what we want, which includes some very nice pre-dinner cocktails, lovely bottles of wine at diiner, glasses of champainge and very nice whiskey afterwards etc.

We do not deprive ourselves. 

However, the overall cruise cost works out less than the price of the drinks package.

So it a no from me.

• Like 1