The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

A platypus carved in wood what looks like the top of a pillar or acts as a kind of finial on a clock?

It is wall mounted or has some metal detector at the back or something and a pipe is running along the wall. With a tiny info plaque visible, I assume we are in a museum?

notamermaid

A brief return to Rüdesheim and the statue on top of the fountain. Here is some info with photo: https://statues.vanderkrogt.net/object.php?webpage=ST&record=dehs023

I have mentioned that the Pankgraf club is in Berlin. As part of their traditions they travel within Germany on a kind of tour. One of those took them to Rüdesheim following an invitation by the mayor of the town. That was in 1907. It was a splendid visit and the Pankgrafen gave the town the statue. The fountain had not had a figure before. The old part of the fountain had crumbled and what you see as the pillar today is a replica of the old one.

Now, to the photo. I thought it might be some museum in Europe that is connected to explorers in Australia, but now I am thinking it might be something to do with wooden structures, like clocks or furniture. Still no clue where.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Somewhere in Normandy; Normandy WWII landing beach excursions are a long day from the Seine cruises.

Interesting thought, I wonder if it has anything to do with Australian troops that were part of the Allied Forces? Perhaps a museum funded by Australia?

notamermaid 

It says Fougeres at the side, but I have no idea why.

Edit: it is French for fern, at least fougère is. I can see the fern alright in the carving. But that does not really help.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

It looks like it is a carving at the memorial school - it is called Victoria as the money to rebuild after WW1 was donated by school children from Melbourne. In Villers Brettoneaux, France. Seine River. The Aussie flag flies in this village. Incidently there is an area about 1 km from my home where the street names are all from these battles ie Poziers, Messines Ridge, Paschendale etc

vada_9 you get the tick and gold star. Absolutely correct. 

If anyone gets the chance this museum on the top floor of the school is a little gem. The photograph is of one of the carved bosses in the school hall. A bit of a long day but well worth it. 
Franco-Australian Museum Villers Brettonoux 

I am away from home at present ( waiting for no 4 grandbaby to be born) so only have access to my phone photos. So here goes. You should all be able to guess the river, general location only needed.

3A139D20-6CDB-459E-8DC8-73487875C57B.jpeg

Edited by vada_9
  • Like 1

Just now, Canal archive said:

Soooooooooo oh did the new grand baby arrive, by the way lucky you we have only one and that’s how it will stay. CA

No due next week. Our daughter lives a 1000 k from us, and her partner is a fifo, so I have been with her when he is away at work, on standby to look after their other child. I am a fifo granny - lol.

• Like 1