The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

11 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Of course your correct Notamermaid the most amazing building the workmanship is out of this world and they’ve kept so many different styles. CA

Thank you. Yes, that Arabic style room is incredible. Would love to go to Portugal some time.

This one is a bit more unusual for me as I am not really a gardening person, I do visit gardens but they are not on the top of my list of places I like to go to. Where is this gardener so conscientiously and meticulously "manicuring" the bushes? River, town and location please:

281462992_Urlaub001.thumb.JPG.e58f93331dd09de6fbe46ed4cc447154.JPG

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Where is this gardener so conscientiously and meticulously "manicuring" the bushes?

I have visited but never when the gardens were in full bloom. I like gardens but prefer viewing the beautiful art in the wonderful museum. 😁

Was your photo captured in the fall?

Edited by dogs4fun

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I want to say Jardin des Tuilleries in Paris but it doesn't look quite right. The hedge should be higher and the buildings look French but aren't a complete match.

It is not Paris. Wrong country.

Vienna? Hmm, well...

notamermaid

Picture taken from this spot?? 

Belvedere.jpg.bd7730224675b67e7dc81d4024ef9824.jpg

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Was your photo captured in the fall?

Looks like spring, although trimming is normally done in the fall so who knows.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
added info

8 hours ago, Renmar said:

Picture taken from this spot?? 

Yes, I think your arrow must be about within a metre of where I took the picture. If not done before I think this could be a meme or something Monty Python-ish, you know: guy walks through a park and is suddenly hit by an arrow by someone using google maps...

notamermaid

• Haha 1

Yes, something like that. Here is some weird trivia: German Wikipedia says that due to budget problems, the makers of the film could not afford horses and riding lessons, so they turned it into part of the film and used coconuts to imitate the sound of hooves. The film title in Germany is Die Ritter der Kokosnuss: the knights of the coconut.

Now we need someone to actually tell me where this is to claim the prize. I confirm that it is indeed Vienna, but river and location are still needed. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Now we need someone to actually tell me where this is to claim the prize. I confirm that it is indeed Vienna, but river and location are still needed.

🤔 the answer is in your signature😉. I am actually surprised nobody gave the answer yet. I hope that people are not waiting for more clues.

Theo

@Renmar Thank you, Theo. It is correct 🙂.

During my river cruise in April 2013 we had a nice long day in Vienna and left late in the evening. It was a slightly cool day. During the coach tour we stopped at the Upper Belvedere. Amazing location. Can you believe we did not go inside! I seem to remember it was closed for some reason. The gardens were great, even without blossoms.

Renmar, so I say this can be a wild card per your suggestion - but as things are quiet, perhaps you will come back to see you can post a photo yourself. 🙂

notamermaid

Nice mosaic!

There are so many places this could be. It reminded me of our visit to the Gallo-Roman museum in Lyon (Rhone) where they have some great mosaics on display. I don't have a picture showing this particular one but that's my first stab at it.

On second thought how about the Dionysius mosaic in the museum in Cologne (Rhine)? We got a look at that from a window above when we were there in 2013. The 8-pointed figures are all over that one. And I have a picture of it. Your close-up is of the top left corner of my picture.

DSCN0814.thumb.JPG.04a52f9bc7fbad6f9592d4a8997bb0ec.JPG

261102397_Colognemosaicoutlined.thumb.jpg.328ef27a04d32d4e46736c856afa0467.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

If anyone is ever in MA, the Worcester Art Museum (WAM)  has a stunning Roman mosaic floor, much like the one in Cologne.  The museum collaborated with the Louvre (around the turn of the century??) to salvage several Roman mosaic floors.  Fun fact:  George Clooney's character in Monuments Men was modeled after the gentleman who directed the WAM in the 1930's.

Also, when the Higgins Armory Museum (one of the world's best collection of armor) closed a few years ago, WAM acquired its collection and displays it in a rotating fashion---the collection is HUGE.

Edited by sharkster77

Another floor! 🙂 I would have guessed Cologne, I vaguely remember the design from seeing it about 20 years ago. My, I must get to Cologne this Summer! I miss day trips more than a holiday.

Would be fun to see another floor but any photo will be fun to guess! I wonder if someone has had the crazy idea of recreating a Roman mosaic floor during the pandemic just because they were bored...

notamermaid

• Like 1

Here is an easy one. Name of the town and river (this would be a pre-cruise extension from said river). This has to be one of the cutest little towns we have ever seen. I want to go back.

886915427_CCPic35.thumb.jpg.e686bb86576f7c57ed17259fc057ad74.jpg

Edited by jpalbny