The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Now I am hungry. Time for tea and biscuits. Alas, tea is proper English, but biscuits are from local supermarket only.

I have never tried pasteis, my local supermarket had a specials before Christmas when they stocked a small quantity, but I did not buy any.

notamermaid

58 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Your right as to France but your a walking day away from this location. Huge clue. CA

Jour? Journee? Pieds? Marcher? Or no French word connection? Pilgrims? I admit, I am a bit lost as well.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Your right as to France but your a walking day away from this location. Huge clue. CA

France, Rhone River, Arles.

My reasoning after reading this clue;

• Assuming that Aux-en-Provence is the starting point for walking.
  • A walking speed of about 8 to 9 KM an hour.
  • 8 hour walk brings me to Arles (with a bit of luck).

I'm still looking for the street but I could be way off like different city-wrong side of the country etcetera.

Theo

• Like 1

There is a church on the left, judging by the buttress. Vine and a bar on the right. Basically, narrows it down to 95 percent of French villages...

Very straight, so I guess in or near the valley, perhaps quite a way to the South. Is "damp" a clue?

I am intrigued by the gutter running through the middle, a typical feature of Freiburg. I wonder if it means something here, or if it is just typical for the area.

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

There is a church on the left, judging by the buttress. Vine and a bar on the right. Basically, narrows it down to 95 percent of French villages...

Very straight, so I guess in or near the valley, perhaps quite a way to the South. Is "damp" a clue?

I am intrigued by the gutter running through the middle, a typical feature of Freiburg. I wonder if it means something here, or if it is just typical for the area.

notamermaid

@Canal archivesaid it is in France and also the Rhone River so Freiburg would be out. Maybe it has something to do with what you first suggested re: French translation like Jour de Marche. When I Google Jour de Marche a place in Lyon shows up so here I go with another answer;

France-Rhone-Lyon??

Theo

Interesting @Renmar. A "jour de marché" means market day (if you add l'accent aigu), which is how Google would probably interpret it even without the accent. That would be found in any French city.

Spending the day walking (a day's walk) would be "une journée de marche" I think but I am not an expert in the subtleties of French language.

Either way I can't find any clues...and I applaud your effort. 

@notamermaid, I am glad that I'm not the only one who thought of Bächle!

Edited by jpalbny

Your all going to deep. For instance one day walking from Aux en Provence but 1.5 to 2 miles by car. Plus it’s a city. It was also a damp day when we were there but is surrounded by the wet stuff. CA

Right off to my archive I have some tricky several hundred years old quandaries to try and solve.

Edited by Canal archive

On 5/3/2021 at 7:04 AM, dogs4fun said:

Any news @vada_9?

Oops sorry, Lucas Fletcher arrived at 11.18 am on 2nd May - 4 kgs (8lb 8 oz). Mum and bub are home ( they get rid of them quick these days). Dad rapt and big sister ( almost 2) can’t keep her hands off bubba.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vada_9 said:

Oops sorry, Lucas Fletcher arrived at 11.18 am on 2nd May - 4 kgs (8lb 8 oz). Mum and bub are home ( they get rid of them quick these days). Dad rapt and big sister ( almost 2) can’t keep her hands off bubba.

Congtatulations to Mom & family.

Theo

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Your all going to deep. For instance one day walking from Aux en Provence but 1.5 to 2 miles by car. Plus it’s a city. It was also a damp day when we were there but is surrounded by the wet stuff. CA

It probably all make sense ones we know the answer but so far it does not for me.

Theo

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Sounds like marshy area, Camargue.

notamermaid

According to Google, Camargue is 57.7 miles from Aix (via car).

According to CA, the city is 1.5 to 2 miles via car. 

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I don't have a clue. Off to my day's appointments. Good luck! 

Edited by dogs4fun

Congrats to all @vada_9, so glad everything is fine.  Our Mother's Day weekend is coming up on Saturday here, so go ahead and celebrate... 🙂  Not sure if you guys have Mothering Sunday early like in the UK or not...but hey, it's a good excuse!

• Like 1