The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I must admit that I did not expect it to be that tricky...

It is rail, ferry and excursion boat stop. Small German and Dutch river cruise ships occasionally dock there as well.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Wild guess - Koblenz - Rhine, Moselle. CA

Not Koblenz, but not far away from there, you can reach the town with a day trip on an excursion boat sailing downstream.

notamermaid

That was a great challenge!

It's a town called Linz, but Linz am Rhein, not the one in Austria that we know from our Danube sailings.

You are taking this picture from Linzhausenstrasse, looking towards the octagonal tower of Burg Linz.

Rough location: 

50°33'59.3"N 7°16'40.0"E

50.566461, 7.277772

Thanks for the clues. I would have never got this without the ferry clue. Luckily when I pulled up the KD timetable, Linz was the first stop after Koblenz in the downstream direction so I looked there and found the Burg immediately.

Here is a similar view from Google Maps. Your picture was taken from the place that I marked with a red marker.

243798576_LinzView.thumb.jpg.7e6c20de1f8e583c19432297b73f2f87.jpg

OK, now it's time to make another cup of coffee and get to work. Lots of Spring things to do around the house this weekend!

Edited by jpalbny

Absolutely spot on @jpalbny! It is the small town of Linz. The car ferry across the river would take one to Kripp, which is part of Remagen. It is the ferry called St. Johannes: https://rheinfaehre-linz-remagen.de/

Linz is a popular place for day trippers. It has old town gates (one of them being covered in my photo) and half-timbered houses.

I took the photo on a cloudy day earlier this year while passing by the town. The grey patch at the side of the road with some posts round it is actually a bit that I drew as the sign has the words Willkommen in Linz on it, needed to cover that of course to not give it away.

You are next, JP.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Hmm, okay, I will start with my idea. This place is confusing me a bit as I want to put it in Northern France along the Seine. But the landscape with what looks to be pine trees makes me think it may be Southern France. So I just guess: France?

I am sure someone out there can do better than my guess. Come on, give it a go. 🙂

notamermaid

40 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Looks like Montmajour Abbey, Arles.

With good reason! That's what it is. 

We actually visited Arles on a river cruise, surprisingly! We docked in Tarascon and were bussed to Arles for a city tour, then we had a few hours on our own. We bought a pass for most of the major Roman attractions, and visited a bunch of neat sights on our own, including going back to the Amphitheatre for a more in-depth visit.

While wandering aimlessly back to the bus pickup point we found a gorgeous viewpoint, in the square called Place Notre-Dame-la-Major. Mt. Ventoux is there in the distance, an iconic sight in this region.

DSCN5415.thumb.JPG.83ffe27b3af2b5a821df885be0b5b409.JPG

Everything was nicely labeled, so identification was a snap. The picture I posted was a zoomed-in shot of the Abbey. We didn't visit so I don't know anything else about it. After Arles we had a lazy afternoon wandering in the little town of Tarascon (from where I have posted a picture of Tatarin, previously in this game).

DSCN5414.thumb.JPG.74f3a1d75e3245340f451b363677ef37.JPG

OK, your turn (hope you post a picture instead of a wild card).

29 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ok, here is an easy one that most of us have seen. Name the city, building & river.

A quick Google search will reveal the answer. 😁

GH.jpg

David and Goliath on the Goliathhuas in Regensburg, Germany on the Danube

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Narrowing down my guess to Nashville on the Cumberland or memphis on the Mississippi? 

RB 

With all the neon signs I thought it looked American and familiar even to my eye. It must be an iconic street which is often published in photographs.

notamermaid

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

With all the neon signs I thought it looked American and familiar even to my eye. It must be an iconic street which is often published in photographs.

notamermaid

The speed limit sign is unique to the US. Then I recognized it.