The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Challenge accepted, it’s in Kazakhstan the Oskemen Lock rise and fall of 138foot 42metres. That’s huge. 
This year is the 200th anniversary of the death of John Rennie the engineer who built our canal he also built ‘London Bridge’ the one that’s now in Lake Havasu City. CA 

• Like 1

You are looking away from the main attraction I gather. This is the entrance gate. Attributes of war are placed on the pillars. A large city with river and bridge in the background. It does not look German to me. Somewhere further downstream on the Danube?

notamermaid

I was thinking that the topography looked a lot like the Danube near Budapest. Turns out that I was not far off, and I've actually been here. Just not this exact part of this particular attraction. 

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I was thinking that the topography looked a lot like the Danube near Budapest. Turns out that I was not far off, and I've actually been here. Just not this exact part of this particular attraction. 

I have spoken with others who have been on different lines and their tours did not take them here.

There are 2 gates - one on either side. So the main attraction is in the center. 

Edited by Coral

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have spoken with others who have been on different lines and their tours did not take them here.

Our river cruise tour didn't go here either. But Chris and I made a run for it during our short period of free time,, and toured around the outside area for a few minutes, before we had to catch the bus back to our ship.

• Like 1

Starfish - that was what prompted me to think it is supposed to be a beach scene: "look what I have found, mummy!"

I would love to be at a pebbles beach now...

I will have a guess: somewhere in the Netherlands?

notamermaid

I think this may be the original story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Thrower#The_original_story

Not exactly a lovely children's story it seems, but adapted for children in later versions. The original fits the idea of beaches, the living and the dead better.

I think you must be on the right track there. Cannot find a reference to a location, though.

notamermaid