The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Oh wow,  are Hummel figures really selling at those prices?!  I have a few here that were my mother's and they must be over 60 or 70 years old.  I will gladly sell them to help finance my next cruise.⛴

RB 

47 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Oh wow,  are Hummel figures really selling at those prices?!  I have a few here that were my mother's and they must be over 60 or 70 years old.  I will gladly sell them to help finance my next cruise.⛴

RB 

Then I would seriously look into contacting a reputable auction house specializing in china. These are real collector's items.

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Notamermaid, the last time I checked there was no market for these collectables here in Ontario.   I think it might be a European thing.  

Sorry, I had forgotten you are in Canada. I was thinking of the US. It sounds as if an online sale may be the better option for you then.

notamermaid

I have just gone down that rabbit hole and found some information that leads me to believe my pieces are worth maximum  $50 to $70 each....if there is an interested buyer. I might net enough to buy a round of drinks for our virtual meetup in Wurzburg.   😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

RB 

I inherited a ton of them. I think they were valuable at one time until people my age inherited them and now there are a ton of them out there as people my age don't appreciate them (me included). That, or I got tired of moving them from place to place.

Thankfully they have sentimental value to my sister - it reminds her of my grandmother. I never knew her so I don't have those memories. So she has them.

I read an article about behind-the-scenes at the US version of the Antiques Roadshow.  Appraisers lamented over the tons of Hummels people bring in that don't have any value---in fact, they noticed that the lower the Hummels' value, the more extravagantly they were wrapped and protected!

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We have Limoges china, Baccarat crystal, and a collection of antique Belleek.  Our kids want none of it.  And we don't even use it, because it all requires hand washing.  [sigh]

I have no clue what Crystal and China I had but I also gave it away. I think we had so many Hummels growing up - we had pictures and glass Hummels and ones from Avon. I am glad they found a good home because I didn't want to dust them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vada_9 said:

another reason to return to Wurzberg.

Interesting drinking water fountain (no longer in use). Must have a look at that when I go to Würzburg. I notice on the map that I was close last year - about 100m away, so I did not see it then. I hope the antiques shop is still there. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

4 hours ago, Ritabob said:

I have just gone down that rabbit hole and found some information that leads me to believe my pieces are worth maximum  $50 to $70 each....if there is an interested buyer. I might net enough to buy a round of drinks for our virtual meetup in Wurzburg.   😄

A pity. Well it was worth having a look I suppose. Definitely enough for a bottle of wine for toasting. Also perhaps a lovely weekend with a friend or too.

If you happen to own "Nesthäkchen" Nr. 574 you have a treasure according to a German auction info website ...

Perhaps the figures are indeed too much in abundance in North America now and have a bigger following in Germany now (or still).

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Hmmmmm,m can you think of why it might be that particular lock? CA

Well, it is a very deep lock and it really looks like your photo. However, I am not certain that there is not another lock out there that also looks like your photo. I am definitely not an expert on locks. 🙂 Plus, if my memory serves, I think that you have cruised on the D**** river.

Edited by dogs4fun

16 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

particular claim to fame for this lock

Honestly, I have no idea other than it is said to be the deepest lock in Europe. Hopefully, when someone identifies your photo, you will tell us what makes this lock noteworthy.

dogs4fun your absolutely correct and it’s why I chose it, there’s something special about it being the deepest lock the sheer fact that by water alone a river cruise boat can be raised and lowered about 35 metres nearly 115 feet. The engineering is fascinating. 
We have regularly navigated the second deepest lock in England which is Bath deep lock which raises and lowers only about 19.5 feet nearly 6 metres. We go more locks rather that depth of locks but then the boats are smaller.

dogs4fun your turn. CA