The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I’ll take the wild card.

Saw this sign on one of our cruises. Thought it might give you a laugh. Love how words / sentences are translated.

Just the river will be fine. - I am fairly sure I know the location.

Ps (still waiting for this baby to arrive. He is a few days late now).

B163A087-2299-481E-B448-7704501CE9CC.jpeg

• Like 1

Based on the language, and the bamboo, I'm going to guess the Yangtze.

We lived in Japan for 2 years and I loved the Japanglish on billboards.  My favorite was for cigarettes, had a picture of a wind surfer and said "Break Wind!" LOL  While it isn't culturally correct, you can usually get the gist of it.  There was one in China, though, that was for a new apartment building and had "trophoblast" in the statement.  I've never been able to puzzle that reference completely out.  Brand new?  From the beginning? We make babies??

Edited by ljandgb

2 hours ago, ljandgb said:

Based on the language, and the bamboo, I'm going to guess the Yangtze.

Correct, your turn. 

The sign was at Fendu, Ghost Temple complex. There was some repair work/ construction happening and the sign was for no drinking on the job site.

Hmm, the lion has a device, well, metal pipe for spitting water, so I guess this is part of a fountain or a prominent place at that building. The monogram is cropped so I cannot fully make out what it may say. I am wondering if it is Isabella II, but that would be early. The artwork and colour of stone kind fit for me into France, but again not sure. Looks kind of different. So I go for Portugal as a guess, Douro river? No idea about the building.

notamermaid

I don't want to be too picky but the Jerónimos Monastery is actually along the Tagus River about 300 KM (200 miles) south of the Douro River. For us here in North America/Canada 200 miles is not a heck of a lot but for Europe it is a long way, at least that is what I remember.

Not that we have been there but after the answer was given I looked it up for future reference.

Theo

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Lisbon is a very popular pre- or post-cruise destination for Douro cruises so it's fair game IMO. But notamermaid is the final.arbiter.

Sorry, I was not making the comment to challenge the rules just wanted to point out that Lisbon is along the Tagus river.

Theo

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If I understand @notamermaid's rules correctly, this was an appropriate picture because Lisbon is a typical gateway city for Douro cruises.  But the correct answer would be Jerónimos Monastery, Lisbon (or Belem), Tagus River.

I never said it was an inappropriate picture (who am I to judge), merely pointed out the name of the river where the Monastary was located. Thanks for pointing this out also.

I quite understand that excursions pre/during or post are made from the ports along the  rivers with river cruises.

Theo

Everybody happy again, lovely. ☺️ 

I have had a look at the architecture of the monastery (I could have sworn the answer would be a castle/palace). Amazing!

Apparently, the lion is there as he is a symbol for the Saint, meaning he holds out his wounded paw as in the legend associated with the two of them, the lion and the Saint. And it is indeed one of the main sights in Lisbon.

I wonder if I could finance a Portugal holiday through crowd funding...

notamermaid

• Haha 1

It can't hurt to try.  I was enchanted by Portugal.  Madeira was a gem, also, though I can't manage to really get that to fit with the river cruise theme for this thread, darn it.  I've got some great pictures. 🙂

It's still a wild card...

Useless trivia...

The monks of the Jerónimos monastery created the original recipe for the delicious pastel de Belém - this secret recipe is over 300 years old . A shop (Pasteis de Belem) bought the recipe from the monks in 1834 when the monastery closed. The shop using the monk's secret recipe, Pasteis de Belém, opened in 1837and is located down the street from the monastery - a mere 3 minute stroll.

@ljandgb and @Daisi ... Did you sample any of these delectable treats?