The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

OK, that's Saarburg, with the Leuk River forming the famous waterfall. The Leuk joins up with the Saar, which then of course joins the Mosel.

We have not quite made it to Saarburg, but we have come as close as Trier. Looks like a lovely place, and I can see why some though it was Bamberg. The river flowing so close to the buildings reminds me of that city as well.

Yes, Saarburg it is. The small Leuk flows as this spectacular waterfall in the town centre and feeds a mill before, just round the corner from it, joining the Saar river. It is a small place with great scenery from the castle ruins. This past September we had a lovely trip out to the Saar region, it was warm and relatively full in town.

@dogs4fun I expected you to know this, as you had mentioned you had been to the Saarschleife, the famous loop. The geraniums were indeed a delight.

You people have got around in the world. :classic_smile: I have noticed that I will soon run out of digital photos of river places as most of my trips have been to the island void of large rivers for cruising, that we call Great Britain.

And with that I hand over to you, @jpalbny.

notamermaid

I slept late this morning but I was confident in my answer, so I picked out a picture before I went to bed. No clues to start other than it's in a location visited during river cruises.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river.

After that name the town/city/place.
The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

1830905231_CCPic8.thumb.jpg.e2cba3c5464d98e124f3a7410950229f.jpg

Looks like the statue has just been given new surrounding steps. It looks a little Eastern in the carvings of the pedestal and inscriptions. But the cross is not Russian Orthodox. So not too Eastern. An agglomeration in the background. I guess that is where the river is?

notamermaid

12 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I can't find any photos of Poland on your photo site @jpalbny. Have you visited the Wieliczka Salt Mine?

We have only been to Poland once, and that was to change planes in Warsaw. It's definitely on our list. I do have a picture or two of Warsaw from the air, as we came in for a landing. Not the same as visiting the city on foot.

5 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Looks like the statue has just been given new surrounding steps. It looks a little Eastern in the carvings of the pedestal and inscriptions. But the cross is not Russian Orthodox. So not too Eastern. An agglomeration in the background. I guess that is where the river is?

notamermaid

There was some work being done, yes. Your stylistic observations about the pedestal and cross are correct too. The river is indeed off in the distance, to the right of the picture.

That narrows it down a bit. Ukraine is predominantly Russian Orthodox, so I think that would be too far East. Anything beyond the Elbe, East of what used to be Czechoslovakia, and further than Vienna, I am pretty sure. Such a line I will draw to place this. Somehow I have got the feeling this might be an excursion/extension Viking offers from the Elbe. I imagine it was a land trip for you. One can sail the Oder river, but I have no idea if the river in your photo is the Oder.

Viking cruisers and geography buffs - or anyone else, who may have an idea, please speak. :classic_smile: 

notamermaid

Hm, let's say this. You've narrowed down the geography too much.

Not the Elbe, nor the Oder. Though I believe that the Viking passengers have a good shot at this.

The statue is of a saint. One who is of personal significance. 

Edited by jpalbny

Personal, because we are (supposedly) related. 36 generations apart. He is a saint because of something which occurred in 988 AD.

Not Poland, but parts of this country were conquered and ruled by Poland in the past. Also, remember that dogs4fun got this immediately. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

@Host Jazzbeau has identified it! So it's a wild card. And Happy Birthday, Jazzbelle!

Volodymyr the Great's granddaughter was Anna of Kyiv, who was married into the French royal line. Supposedly, I'm related to her...

I like this shot of him the best.

1591407885_UkraineAlbum-070.thumb.jpg.219e90d0a65756e5cdd243c138389e2c.jpg

@dogs4fun, Chris's parents were both born in Ukraine so she is a champion home-schooled pierogi/varenyky maker. She has taught me to make acceptable specimens so we enjoy them at home now and then. Mostly for Christmas. They are so tasty! And they aren't too bad to make, once you get the hang of it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Statue of St. Vladimir in Kiev, on the Dnieper.

Interesting factoids: 

There is a monument to this same Vladimir the Great (saint, prince) in Moscow.  It is a fairly recent addition to Borovitskaya Square  and is quite impressive. 

You can also find this same fellow hanging out in London’s Holland Park - a bronze statue if memory correctly serves.

Rome also features a statue of Vladimir (this guy really gets around 🙂) - you can  visit  him outside Saint Sophia Church (Ukrainian Catholic University complex).

I first became interested in  Vladimir (Volodymyr) when visiting  Novgorod - quite an interesting historical figure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But it's DW's birthday so I don't have time to find a suitable picture.  If I'm right, time for another wild card.

Congratulations to Jazzbelle. Hope you are all having a lovely day.

A wild card for the quiz, off you go, someone, who would like to post?

notamermaid

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Who are these two fine fellows and where are they? Location was a short distance from the river cruise ship and accessed via a ship excursion coach although easy enough to get there on your own.

image.thumb.png.92e72805e11d0d70c11b3d842cbd4050.png

1 minute ago, sharkster77 said:

If they were Hussar, wouldn't they have wings and armor?  Just saw an episode of Murdoch Mysteries that featured Polish Hussar horsemen.

Not necessarily - Hussars were all over, Poland, Hungary, Britain, France, Germany, etc (found even in South America). I am trying to place the exact location of that particular ceremonial uniform. I am thinking Prussian but not sure.