The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, knoxclone said:

SIntra park in Portugal!

You got it!  

It is the most schizophrenic architecture I've seen in a while.  Technically the building is Pena Palace.  It was a chapel from the middle ages, then a convent was built in the early 1500's but was damaged in the 1700's by lightning and an earthquake.  Construction began to make it a palace mid 1800's.  It was used less than 100 years before the monarchy fell and it became state property and a park.

So that's what it looks like! Peña Palace has been on our list for a while.

We climbed from the train station, partway up the hill, back in 2012. But we stopped at the Moorish Castle. Then we went back down to Sintra to tour the National Palace instead of continuing on to Peña. We looked at going back to Sintra for the 2019 trip, but no time for that. 

Edited by jpalbny

59 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

So that's what it looks like! Peña Palace has been on our list for a while.

We climbed from the train station, partway up the hill, back in 2012. But we stopped at the Moorish Castle. Then we went back down to Sintra to tour the National Palace instead of continuing on to Peña. We looked at going back to Sintra for the 2019 trip, but no time for that. 

I was supposed to be there in April/May for my 50th birthday trip..... COVID BAD.....

I was also thinking it is a colossal head like you find - or used to find - in Eastern Europe. It is just that the guy looks a bit more Western. Perhaps it is a reference to an industrial site or city proud of its history of steel production?

Cannot make out any names on the signs. Blue are the motorway signs in Germany, but the traffic lights and the surroundings are not necessarily German. Could be but I think it is not.

Linz in Austria?

notamermaid

The direction signs (white on blue background) are used in several countries. As there are traffic lights, obviously no motorway, but innercity traffic. Those oval plates around the traffic lights are also used in several countries. In combination I would suggest Belgium or the Netherlands.

The statue shows some sort of engine, generator or similar with a wing on the right. Winged wheels are symbols for railways, but it is not a wheel. So my working theory is, it shows some industry pioneer in (steam-) shipping, railway, elecricity or similar. Warm or cold ?

I agree, looks like a traffic circle.  The "machine" reminds me of my grandmother's old meat grinder, which doesn't bear pondering in this circumstance, but maybe symbolizes something about what tech does to humanity??  (I'm stretching here.)

I was thinking about a meat grinder, too...

Blame my imagination, but my other idea, apart from the pioneer, was something with a hidden meaning like "the daily grind".

I think I have too much time to think. This is what not working for four weeks does to your, i.e. my head.

notamermaid

If it is something to do with Europe, perhaps Strasbourg or Brussels? I am somewhat completely lost. Cannot find any reference to it. Marshall is sculptured "striding towards new friends". You would not believe how may head sculptures without body and winged animals with Europa sitting on them, are scattered around Europe and the internet. :classic_biggrin:

If it was erected in 2017 I suppose it was during celebrations for 70 years of the Marshall Plan. Do not remember hearing about celebrations in big style. There certainly were commemorations in Parliament, etc.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
maths problem

Correct!  Congratulations AnhaltER1960!!

I was told by the guide that it was officially called the Sphinx of Arnheim by the artist.

The old pump was purchased at the time with funds from the Marshall Plan, hence the shout out to Secretary of State Marshall.   The wing appears in the pump manufacturers logo,  and further references the Battle of Arnheim and Operation Pegasus.  It sits near the Old  Rhine Bridge now renamed the John Frost Bridge... otherwise identified in WWII history as a Bridge Too Far.

You're next!

Edited by knoxclone

Hope that lockdown wont last too long .... soon I will have to scan my analogue pics ... running out of digital ones....

This here is -obviously- not the river itself, but an excursion nearby. Name the river and the location  that you can see in the photo. The first one to guess gets to post the next photo.

wwwquiz7.JPG