The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Mardi Gras - Interesting. The cows and the stuff behind reminded me of building Carnival floats but a little different in style than we use in the Rhineland. It does not look as if any gatherings will happen during our season in January and February, most have already been cancelled anyway.

notamermaid

If I remember correctly - a lot of people did get COVID last year at Mardi Gras. It was at the end of February last year and we still didn't know enough last year at that time.

Mardi Gras was certainly an event for spreading the virus around quite a bit. Our Carnival was the same weekend and although people were getting a little nervous, not enough was known and one just felt safe outdoors. Indoor events of the previous and that weekend did still take place as well. Nobody knew about aerosols. Such a Carnival event led to the quarantine of an entire district in the West of Germany. We found out two weeks after Carnival how bad it is to gather indoors. Sadly, with our knowledge now and the high figures in Germany, I meant to express that we cannot have Carnival gatherings at all (my prediction) as much as we would like to meet just for a little parade out in the open.

Such a pity for New Orleans, going right down to the cultural heart of the region, I imagine. Probably even more than Rhenish Carnival (IMHO).

notamermaid

• Like 1

Dogs4fun remembers correctly...

Except for the "short drive" part. Once you get out of Porto, the driving is easy. Driving in that city is no fun!

But this place was a great place to have lunch. In fact I took this picture while sipping a local craft beer and chowing down on a basket of grilled shishito peppers. Life was good...

197848602_PortugalAlbum-223.thumb.jpg.994ea5ccc8c0b22d88fc97f4b67315ef.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Methinks you are a  foodie. 😁

One of my favorite parts of travel. Love to get out and try the local food and drink options! 

And yes, my travel photos have lots of food pix...guilty as charged! 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Sorry for the delay - went to sleep early. On-call this week and need to sleep when I can.

We spend a fun weekend in New Orleans for Chris's birthday a few years back. Foggy mornings by the river with beignets and coffee.

I just clicked on your blogs and your pictures! Brings back lots of memories of places I have been and places I want to go. It is funny - some of my pictures I have no idea what they are and you thankfully have captions for my similar pictures!

• Thanks 1

Bueller?  Bueller?

In light of the discussion in the other thread of "no travel for a good while," I vote that we resume this thread.  As it is not mine, I'm not going to post anything, but would love to see it active again.  Even 5 days dormant seems like an eternity right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I vote that we resume this thread.  As it is not mine, I'm not going to post anything, but would love to see it active again.  Even 5 days dormant seems like an eternity right now.

I don’t believe anyone has yet named the site, location & river of jpalbny’s last photo.

23 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Bueller?  Bueller?

In light of the discussion in the other thread of "no travel for a good while," I vote that we resume this thread.  As it is not mine, I'm not going to post anything, but would love to see it active again.  Even 5 days dormant seems like an eternity right now.

Well, you have beaten me to it, suggesting someone start guessing again where jpalbny's photo on post # 1724 was taken. :classic_smile:

It would be lovely to see some posts and further photos again.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for participating so far. From the start of the thread, my idea was to keep the game running as long as people are interested and sincerely hope you will help me to fulfill the title "the while we wait for ...". We are still waiting!

Thank you again. :classic_smile::classic_smile:.

notamermaid

P.S.: What does Bueller mean?

Edited by notamermaid
grammar
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

What does Bueller mean?

It's from the movie, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" from the 1980s. I can't remember the exact quote from the movie but we use it when there's radio silence... kind of means the same as, "Hey, anyone home?"

Hope someone guesses my picture soon. After all, it's been since last year... 😉

Edited by jpalbny

Ben Stein plays Bueller's teacher who is calling attendance, and since Bueller is skipping school (hence the movie's title, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"), he isn't there to respond, so the teacher keeps calling his name.  Ben Stein has a very monotone voice, very distinctive.

Edited by sharkster77

15 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's Portugal, yes. An excursion on some river cruise itineraries, but we were there on our own.

I know because I was looking at someone's vacation pictures the other day. I haven't been there myself.

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

I'm showing my age with the "Bueller" comment.  It's right up there with "Danger, Will Robinson!"

Is the picture somewhere in Portugal?

Agree!!  During my last ten years before retirement, my department hired someone who was close to me in age---we both laughed at the pop culture references we would throw back and forth that the "kids" in the dept could not relate to!

One of my teachers (I was a dept head) was called racist by a student for using the expression "pot calling the kettle black".  He brought a cast iron frying pan into work to explain to the student the origin of that expression.  Much like the case of the local politician who lost, then re-gained his job ater using a word the means "stingy", but sounds like the N-word.  Poor vocab skills.

52 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

We ate at a little place called Coconuts - is that where this photo was taken?

Right next door, the place was called Rolhas e Rótulas.

That should be a good hint for someone! 🤣

Thanks for the info on the film Ferris Bueller. I did not watch it in the cinema, I was probably old enough to be allowed but I do not recall it being shown near me at the time. Memory a bit hazy about the film industry at that time.

Portugal is getting more and more interesting, I was thinking of a river cruise but wondering if a land trip may be preferable. Must look into trans-European trains instead of flying.

notamermaid

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Portugal is getting more and more interesting, I was thinking of a river cruise but wondering if a land trip may be preferable.

Portugal is a great place for a land trip! We had such a great time there.

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself but we chose to do our trip there by land, instead of a river cruise. Because of Chris's excellent planning skills, we knew that there was too much to see. Looking at a map, we realized that we would miss most of that if we just limited ourselves to the area near the Douro. So we had to DIY. Well worth the extra work and planning, though.

I'll second Portugal as a great destination.  We did a week near Lisbon and a week on Madeira.  Amazing.  It really was a country I hadn't given much thought to but my travel buddy friend suggested it. I would strongly recommend at least a few days on Madeira.   It's easy to get to from Lisbon, and like nowhere else I've ever been.  I'm probably repeating myself, also, since I can't stop singing it's praises.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Portugal is a great place for a land trip! We had such a great time there.

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself but we chose to do our trip there by land, instead of a river cruise. Because of Chris's excellent planning skills, we knew that there was too much to see. Looking at a map, we realized that we would miss most of that if we just limited ourselves to the area near the Douro. So we had to DIY. Well worth the extra work and planning, though.

I've now planned a pan-Portugal trip four times – hopefully will actually be able to take the latest version (in 2023).  We'll definitely be too old to rent a car then [by our own standards, even if allowed].  My TA suggested using MyDayTrip.com which seems to provide exactly the type of service we want [e.g. Lisbon hotel to Tomar hotel with stops at Alcobaca Monastery and Batalha Monastery and photo-op at Convento de Cristo Aqueduct] – does anybody have experience with them?