The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Here in Toronto it suddenly looks like we will have a “perfect Christmas” even though it is currently mild and raining. After a cold front goes through later it is supposed to turn colder, the rain will change to snow and we expect 5-10 cm. 

For those interested Environment Canada has definitions:

White Christmas means 2 cm of snow on the ground Christmas morning

Perfect Christmas means a White Christmas with snow on Christmas Day. 

In normal years, we generally head down to Niagara Falls just before Christmas, looking for warmer weather and no snow.  We always joke that it's our trip "south".  Guess we will be glad we can't go this year.  You guys take care down there, enjoy our weather, we'll enjoy yours! 

35 minutes ago, Daisi said:

In normal years, we generally head down to Niagara Falls just before Christmas, looking for warmer weather and no snow.  We always joke that it's our trip "south".  Guess we will be glad we can't go this year.  You guys take care down there, enjoy our weather, we'll enjoy yours! 

A few years ago - I went to our Lied Center for Performing Arts and saw an  Irish Dance family perform (with all of their talented kids). They are amazing and from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. https://www.natalieanddonnell.com It was funny as we were having an awful winter and they got stuck several times during their tour and said how excited their kids were for this trip to "go South for the winter". We just laughed. If anyone ever has a chance to see Natalie McMaster and Donnell Leahy (and family) -they are worth seeing. I will look for their CD to play this Christmas. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Thanks Ritabob,

I looked up the shop, it is in Strasbourg. Would love to see the town finally, any season would be nice but I think before Christmas would be special. They say the first report of a decorated tree comes from Alsace.

I was looking through my photo archive before Christmas and found very few digital photos that relate to rivers for cruising or towns nearby. I came across a couple that are eligible as regards the rules of the quiz but I do not think anybody could come up with the solution, not fair for guessing. So, my interim photo is this one:

346876419_ccDSCN0998.thumb.JPG.f9a878e5c453d959ffafc85104fc6c82.JPG

This was taken in a (new) river cruise port. The town is called Neuwied and lies a little downstream from Koblenz on the Rhine. I went to the Christmas market there in 2015. They focus on food and drink and children's huts and displays. Quite nice for children. It is not too memorable or worth a detour as a tourist, but it has got a unique feature popular for selfies and group photos - a snow dome! It is bigger in real life than it looks in the photo, the sleigh for two in it is life size. With the trees and lights around it, it looked pretty. This year they had no Christmas market and, alas, no snow dome.

Why new port? I read in the newspaper that they have nearly finished the refurbishment of the embankment and can accommodate two river cruise ships simultaneously at the dock from 2021.

Now to the game: we still have a wild card from dogs4fun, who would like to post the next photo for us to guess? Wintery or festive photo, or any season, feel free to post a river cruise port scene or nearby excursion. Where did you go? Share your memories with us and relive happy travels! :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 2

Alsace may claim to have the first decorated Christmas tree, but Riga, Latvia did have the first!...(or so they claim 😄)  I think the date is 1510 on the other side, but the inscription does say it is where the first decorated Christmas tree was located.

I love the giant snow globe!

RB 

Wild card is still available for someone.

DSC05798.JPG

Edited by Ritabob
Fact check
  • Like 1

Most attracting my attention in this photo is the huge advertising poster for Henkell sparkling wine, a German company based in Wiesbaden. I would say though that this place does not look that German. There is an Art Nouveau building in the background which could be in Vienna, Budapest or Prague. So, basically I have no idea. The holiday I  am not sure about, it could be New Year's Day as the people are wearing thick jackets but it could also be a national holiday. The displays on the stall I cannot make out on my smartphone, but they look colourful.

notamermaid

Not Budapest nor Prague, so that narrows it down to the city. The photo was taken exactly two years ago today. 

What is being sold are trinkets, and many are pigs. Also popular are lady bugs, or lady birds, which I show here, next to a Euro  for perspective.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Good luck on New year's Eve - I mean tokens to give to people for the New Year? In Vienna on the Danube. But as to the exact location, some square with buildings of the type that one finds in abundance in that city!

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jklc123 said:

Notamermaid, I guess we were typing at the same time! The kiosk is at one end of the Graben. Yes, New Year good luck charms.

Uiihh! Does that mean I have won?

I looked up "Graben". The building in the background is Julius Meinl Coffee shop, very traditional company. Fancy a street being called "Graben" - ditch - and then being one of the best shopping streets! Mind you, Koblenz has got a small shopping street in the old town called "Entenpfuhl" - duck pit!

The fancy shopping street on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graben,_Vienna

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added link

Thank you.

Here is an easy one, although I have cut off some architectural bits, with what is missing right now and I would like to see - snow!

Name the river and the structure you can see in the photo, add the town if you like or alternatively name the town instead of the structure. The first one to guess gets to post the next photo.

1584310214_ccDSCN0795-Kopie.thumb.JPG.b85b7f142a9070b04c553cf59405b54e.JPG

notamermaid

17 minutes ago, knoxclone said:

Rhine river, castle Pfalzgrafen(?)

That is very close, but I am sorry, jpalbny got the full name.

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Pfalzgrafenstein Castle - the one on the island in the middle of the Rhine?

It is! A close one between you two. Well done both. The town is Kaub, which it normally says on the sign I coloured bright yellow. This is the full photo:

1228895348_ccDSCN0795.thumb.JPG.559b3af55f61d9ce02f59e308fca100d.JPG

I took a train ride along the river bank in December 2014 and had a rare proper sight of snow covering the landscape in the valley. It was very nice.

Over to you, jpalbny.

notamermaid