The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The lettering of Crystal Serenity seems far too big, compared to images of the actual ship – which makes me think this whole thing is a miniature?

Ah ... the man doth make sense. 😉 It is, indeed, a miniature.

Edited by dogs4fun

I will throw in my thoughts from last night. I had a "eye opener" in that suddenly this photo turned from real world into looking odd, kind of photoshopped or not real, then I realized what I thought was a barrier to protect the viewer above is a barrier to protect the ship and scene. The whole thing is not real world scale. The water is a real basin I think. The ship may move so I concluded it is a scene in the amazingly real exhibition in Hamburg Miniatur Wunderland. But I checked on the website and they do not have the Crystal Serenity. It is somewhere else.

notamermaid

A few more hints to clinch speedy recognition ...

Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg is the world's largest miniature model (HO scale) museum. My photo depicts a small section of the world's second largest model (also HO scale) and is considered a model of the entire country.  Both the German model and this model transition from day to night at approximately 10-15 minute intervals. This is a rather "new" private museum that has been open for less than ten years.

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Nice work, @Coral - you nailed it. A friend took me to the Grand Maket soon after it first opened & I have taken family members on subsequent visits to the city. 

172744857_Untitled2-Copy.thumb.jpg.3ebbe4a3867dd9547b6cbf6c7f0613cc.jpg

Obviously I wasn't the first to figure it out. It wasn't there the 2x I was there. It does look pretty darn cool.

Yes. I have a picture of that square and those two buildings from 2016. A shame; the one that was damaged had a beautiful facade.

Here is the wide angle overview:

DSC08822.thumb.JPG.6639390fd3efab7b36fdba147a8b202b.JPG

and a cropped shot that somewhat matches up with the quiz picture. You can see the caryatids on the building to the left, and the awning of the Roland Cafe which went up in smoke.

1262197178_DSC08822copy.thumb.jpg.b1d965d26079dc0188a97a47a0df5653.jpg

Your angle is different; I"m off to the right and your pic is from the left.

Edited by jpalbny

I am shocked about that building in Bratislava, I remember Coral posting this at the time, but did not realize it was the splendid late Art Nouveau café façade I took a photo of in 2013! I hope theu have been able to restore at least on the outside.

Daisi, your photo screams Alsace in Spring to me, looks lovely! But I will not be able to properly place it, so will just stick to Rhine River.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Colmar, Le Fer Rouge, Lauch River (Rhine Cruise)? I can see the restaurant's sign hanging from the corner of the building. 😁

Building with all the colorful flowers contains several tourist shops of which Au Vieux Pignon is one.

Colmar is such a cool, photogenic place to visit!

Edited by dogs4fun

29 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I am shocked about that building in Bratislava, I remember Coral posting this at the time, but did not realize it was the splendid late Art Nouveau café façade I took a photo of in 2013! I hope theu have been able to restore at least on the outside.

We had a Hotel Manager from one of Crystal's cruise ships on our cruise. His house was being renovated so he took our cruise that week. He was eating in the restaurant right there when it happened. I was on the opposite side of the square when it happened buying some pastry of some sort when the fire started. At that time, all we could see was black smoke. 

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

We had a Hotel Manager from one of Crystal's cruise ships on our cruise. His house was being renovated so he took our cruise that week. He was eating in the restaurant right there when it happened. I was on the opposite side of the square when it happened buying some pastry of some sort when the fire started. At that time, all we could see was black smoke. 

Didn’t the fire actually start in one of the stalls & then spread to the restaurant?

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

Didn’t the fire actually start in one of the stalls & then spread to the restaurant?

Yes. It was reported that it was not an "authorized Christmas market stall". Those against the building looked different than the others.

Edited by Coral