The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

One of this venue's claim to fame is due to a specific work of the composer featured in the photo.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

DG_ET.jpg.bfa2720cb1f6b7270036e2b522a7ea91.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I assume it is Mozart's The Magic Flute. But the place?

notamermaid

Yes, it is Mozart but this venue's fame is due to a Mozart premier of a famous opera other than the Magic Flute.

CLUE ALERT: In fact, Mozart himself actually conducted this premier. 

Thanks Daisi. In these bleak days before Christmas, my question into the round is: does anybody have a photo from a river cruise Christmas market they would like us to guess? Anything welcome of course, but a market photo with lights might cheer us all up even more.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks Daisi. In these bleak days before Christmas, my question into the round is: does anybody have a photo from a river cruise Christmas market they would like us to guess? Anything welcome of course, but a market photo with lights might cheer us all up even more.

notamermaid

These are both from the same Christmas market. Probably not the most popular market on a river cruise.

P1020500 2.jpeg

P1020504.jpeg

Edited by Coral

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Gluhwein Inn and Weg im Licht. Definitely a German-speaking region. The steep hills along the river remind me of Salzburg, so that's my guess.

Not Salzburg but in the area.

I will add that I don't think this Christmas Market is an excursion on most river cruise lines.

Edited by Coral

33 minutes ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

St. Gilen Christmas Market near Lake Wolfgangsee (Danube)?

You got it!!!

They had those candles in all different sizes. I haven't been able to find them here in the US. Out of all of the Christmas Markets I went to, these had these angels all over. Beautiful area!

These are from that Market:

P1020468.jpeg

P1020505.jpeg

P1020483.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Coral said:

They had those candles in all different sizes. I haven't been able to find them here in the US. Out of all of the Christmas Markets I went to, these had these angels all over. Beautiful area!

It does look beautiful. And those candles are interesting. It sounds as if it is their speciality. Here is a website: http://www.adventkerze.at/index.php

They have got a webcam, where you can see them in use: https://www.gemgilgen.at/Gemeindeleben/Webcam

16 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I've traveled a bit over Christmas, but never near a river.  I got nothing.

I have had a look myself to see if I have any from a nice river location. None that are related to any river cruise you all may recognize and very few of any markets. Odd really. I must admit I am mostly at home in the winter apart from short travels to England. I should have photos of Bonn or Cologne, but I cannot find any digital ones.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

It does look beautiful. And those candles are interesting. It sounds as if it is their speciality. Here is a website: http://www.adventkerze.at/index.php

They have got a webcam, where you can see them in use: https://www.gemgilgen.at/Gemeindeleben/Webcam

They were very beautiful. They were even on light posts. I was thinking later I should have bought some but then I was thinking they were for electric outlets and not batteries but not entirely sure. I thought I could find them back home but couldn't. They had a great Christmas Market. I would love to return to this area in early fall, etc....Gorgeous area.

I looked at the link and it appears to be battery operated. I must return sometime!

Edited by Coral