The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

England has the Regent Canal through parts of London. Not a bad thought. There is some kind of signage at the far right of the picture but it's too blurred for me to tell what it is... I think I see a parking sign but I'm more interested in the white sign between that and the railing. On my phone I thought it might be three arrows (like a roundabout) but I can't tell on my computer.

I agree with notamermaid's logic - it's probably too narrow for barges so therefore, probably not a major canal like the Main-Danube. And the blue lights are definitely a lock.

Pretty funny how three of us immediately thought of San Antonio, though!

3 hours ago, ljandgb said:

Canal St. Martin, Paris?

Well spotted, ljandgb. I thought, it was time for another Paris photo. Just no lock (the blue lights are a swing bridge, pont tournant rue Dieu to be precise), and no Eiffel tower to be seen.

The Canal St. Martin connects the Seine with the Bassin la Villette near the Gare du Nord and was used for transporting construction material, food and fuel into the city. Towards the Seine parts of the canal are in a tunnel, other parts are alley-like with cafes and restaurants, like on the pic. Further north it shows a Paris, which is rather unspoilt by globalisation. All in all it gives a pleasant walk. There are excursion boats in the summer season, too.

Over to you.

Looks like the dragon is chasing Siegfried! There are letters on the wheel of the chariot (?) which indicates to me a manufacturer. Could this be part of a larger ornamental scene on a musical instrument like a fun fair organ?

Edit: holding it in different lighting I can see it says Mercredi. So the guy is Mercury! French. Still could be the manufacturer, but not too sure now.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

7 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Rhine, Rudesheim, Siegfried 's magical  music museum? Or is that too easy, after notamermaid mentioned  Siegfried.  ?

RB 

My idea that I had in the back of my head, the museum that is, the Siegfried I threw out of my thoughts after realising it is Mercury. It saying Mercredi makes the astronomical clock very likely though. Could well believe it is that one. Really like the figures.

notamermaid

Thank you---that clock was so cool, we wallowed in our dorkiness as we studied every detail!   Purchased the soft cover picture book that allowed us to see all the details of the clock.

During our walking tour in the morning, there was quite a crowd around the clock as it struck the hour.  When we returned in the afternoon, we pretty  much had the clock (and the rest of the cathedral) to ourselves.

Wish the Pfister was open to the public - would love a look see inside. 🙂

I will see if it is possible to trick anyone with the following photo - probably an impossible task as it will be easily identifiable to anyone who has visited or is adept at Google searches. I purposely left some clues in the photo to aid in identification.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

Untitled2222.jpg

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

@dogs4fun, you looking down onto a large cruise ship is an unusual angle. Odd, so I am wondering where you are. A tower? Very high up. But there is a kind of barrier of clear glass or plastic in the front of the photo. I reckon that is a clue. Got a weird idea...

notamermaid

I am not on a tower - in fact, I was not particularly high up when I took this shot. The clear barrier is definitely a big clue @notamermaid - you are on the right track.