The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Avalon cruise (Tranquility II as per your sig)?   Sorry, but can't tell the river.  Carpet looks failure thought. 🙂

Heading out, so if I'm right, and that's all you wish, please give out a wildcard.

Edited by Daisi

49 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Avalon cruise (Tranquility II as per your sig)?   Sorry, but can't tell the river.  Carpet looks failure thought. 🙂

Heading out, so if I'm right, and that's all you wish, please give out a wildcard.

@Daisi it is indeed the lounge on the Avalon Tranquility II.

I will post another photo that shows our  docking location and use as the wild card

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

Too small for the Avalon Tranquility II, so a small river nearby or in the same town - or a canal. Looks a little odd, there is what looks like an old bridge but modern buildings on both sides. And a fork in the river. I would reckon somewhere on the Main or Main Danube Canal which is of course not visible in the photo. I just think the location and red roofs make me place this in the area. I like the angel.

Agree with the carpet :classic_wink:.

notamermaid

27 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Too small for the Avalon Tranquility II, so a small river nearby or in the same town - or a canal. Looks a little odd, there is what looks like an old bridge but modern buildings on both sides. And a fork in the river. I would reckon somewhere on the Main or Main Danube Canal which is of course not visible in the photo. I just think the location and red roofs make me place this in the area. I like the angel.

notamermaid

Yes, we travelled by bus into this town from the Main  or Main Danube Canal. The Angel is rather famous in this town.

9 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

This reminds me of Nürnberg for some reason. Hauptmarkt? The fountain looks like the one we saw there.

It reminds you of it because it is Nuremberg. The angel is the Nuremberg Christkind, the symbol of the Christmas market. Over to you.

OK, I finished up on the treadmill, and I'll take my own wild card I guess.

I am out of Christmas photos, though. So I will post an old sunset photo.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

45772435_CCPic19.thumb.JPG.b90a5fbd9ea01ad09853a59a8627f7e2.JPG

12 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Yes, we travelled by bus into this town from the Main  or Main Danube Canal. The Angel is rather famous in this town.

Oh, of course, it is the Rauschgoldengel in Nuremberg! It looked familiar, oh dear, I am not very good at German Christmas traditions (embarrassing shake of my head while writing). 

Wondering what we will see from

@dogs4fun  today?  Good morning to you on this special day from a boring looking warm Rhineland. But snow is on its way.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to all those whom are playing along. It is just after 8pm here on Christmas Eve. It has been a mild day (high 20's). We have had our family over for a swim and dinner, Master 5 and Miss 3 kept checking the sky in case they saw Santa heading to New Zealand (That's first). The prawns and crab are in the fridge for tomorrow along with all the other goodies. Enjoy your celebrations where ever you are in this wonderful world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Lol... That's what I get for trying to rush out the door, on the phone, multitasking while commenting.  Should have read carpet looks familiar though!

Hope the laugh helped ease your day, we can use any we can get.

2 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Merry Christmas to all those whom are playing along. It is just after 8pm here on Christmas Eve. It has been a mild day (high 20's). We have had our family over for a swim and dinner, Master 5 and Miss 3 kept checking the sky in case they saw Santa heading to New Zealand (That's first). The prawns and crab are in the fridge for tomorrow along with all the other goodies. Enjoy your celebrations where ever you are in this wonderful world.

Merry Christmas to you as well @vada_9.  Not going to be a white one here, certain people in NY stole all our snow.  We are instead going to have heavy rain.  Very unusual Christmas to close out a very unusual year.

Wishing all a good holiday, whatever you celebrate - belated wishes for those who celebrated Hanukkah.  May 2021 bring light, joy and eventually travel on our favourite ships.

Just now, Daisi said:

Not going to be a white one here, certain people in NY stole all our snow.  We are instead going to have heavy rain.  Very unusual Christmas to close out a very unusual year.

We still have some impressive snow piles down here but it's melting fast. We have warm temperatures here today, and lots of rain tomorrow as well. 

Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Lol... That's what I get for trying to rush out the door, on the phone, multitasking while commenting.  Should have read carpet looks familiar though!

Hope the laugh helped ease your day, we can use any we can get.

Oops, haha! A classic non-detected autocorrect. I still think the carpet should be high on the next refurbishment list...

notamermaid

• Like 2

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all!  Here in New England, we got a foot plus of snow last week, but 60 degree temps and driving rain on Christmas day is going to wash it all away!  So we are enjoying our White Christmas while we can.

Praying for widespread vaccine distribution, herd immunity and LOTS and LOTS of catch-up travel sometime in 2021, 2022 for sure!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Merry Christmas to you as well @vada_9.  Not going to be a white one here, certain people in NY stole all our snow.  We are instead going to have heavy rain.  Very unusual Christmas to close out a very unusual year.

Wishing all a good holiday, whatever you celebrate - belated wishes for those who celebrated Hanukkah.  May 2021 bring light, joy and eventually travel on our favourite ships.

Here in Toronto it suddenly looks like we will have a “perfect Christmas” even though it is currently mild and raining. After a cold front goes through later it is supposed to turn colder, the rain will change to snow and we expect 5-10 cm. 

For those interested Environment Canada has definitions:

White Christmas means 2 cm of snow on the ground Christmas morning

Perfect Christmas means a White Christmas with snow on Christmas Day. 

• Like 2

Happy Holidays to everyone and a special Thank You to Notamermaid and all participants for your gift of this Photo Quiz. The Quiz has helped sustain me though this challenging time and helped me appreciate even more the travels I have been fortunate to take.

Here are a few non-quiz-worthy photos from various Christmas markets as we await Santa’s visit.  These are not part of the game; just a way of saying Happy Holidays.

Dogs4Fun’s Wildcard still stands.

FE983C11-3264-4F07-BF2F-D38B3B8DCDA0_1_201_a.jpeg

350650CB-14CB-4EBB-83EB-FAD0765378C9_1_201_a.jpeg

53A0092E-F560-4967-837A-BCA443DD6F11_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 6

Merry Christmas to all!  No hope of white Christmas here.  It's 70 degrees and sunny.  All the kids are home, we're doing lots of cooking, and playing board games.  I still don't have any Christmas travel photos, but I did have 2 girls that danced the Nutcracker for years so included some pics I took of that. Eleven Saturdays driving an hour both ways for a 4-5 hour practice, culminating in 2 weekends of performances.  The second weekend was always at a nearby venue built for musical performances and modeled after European performance halls. All the woodwork is handcrafted by onsite artisans. The girls loved dancing here even though it is not set up for stage performances.  They had to change in stairwells and libraries, but it was still the highlight of the season for them.  My daughter in the pink doesn't have the best form, but those Waltz of the Flower costumes were always my favorite.  The action shots are all from the first venue, where I could wander during dress rehearsal.

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_1530.jpg

7L8A5787.JPG

7L8A5244.JPG

Edited by ljandgb
  • Like 5

Thanks everyone, also for the lovely "interim" photos! Let us just fill the day - and another day if you like - with what makes you happy to banish negative thoughts.

After all, we will be busy with loved ones and celebrations!

And who ever would like to pick up the quiz wild card, just tell us.

We shall continue guessing till we can travel again. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 3