The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Munich Airport, impressive! I would never have guessed. From the modern buildings I concluded it must be a modern setting, perhaps Rotterdam or Russia. Quite wrong.

Looking forward to the next photo, Christmas themed or plain wintery or whatever else you can find in your photo album @NewCruiser2016

Good morning to you, no rush. ☺️ 

notamermaid

It is certainly how I like my train stations. :classic_biggrin: Old and grand. It reminds me of the facade of the train station in Paris in "The Bourne Identity".

I can see tram line overhead cables and I like how they have made the little lights look like stars in the sky. Lovely photo.

notamermaid

Really nice pictures. I liked Zürich a lot. 

This should be relatively easy. I don't have a lot of Christmas pix even though we have done some trips over the Holiday.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

783474354_CCPic18.thumb.JPG.a166267a76a9df0d7411014c5ab8bd6f.JPG

Edited by jpalbny

34 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Really nice pictures. I liked Zürich a lot. 

This should be relatively easy. I don't have a lot of Christmas pix even though we have done some trips over the Holiday.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

783474354_CCPic18.thumb.JPG.a166267a76a9df0d7411014c5ab8bd6f.JPG

Don't know where that is, but I see that jp is going for 'baroque' with that one!

(So so sorry, but could not resist!!!!!)

• Haha 1

Looks like something we would call "Residenz" in German. I don't think it is Munich or Würzburg, though. It looks either early or late, i.e. steering towards the classical, rather than full-blown Baroque. Certainly "gilded-pillars-overload", love it. :classic_smile:

Is it French? The head statue with the lights looks French style to me.

notamermaid

13 hours ago, jklc123 said:

Yes, the Munich airport. Over to you, NewCruiser.

Oh man! I was in Munich right before the Christmas Markets opened (they were opening the next day) but traveled there via bus so missed the airport. Great pics.

@gnome12  Yes The Seine. Not Versailles. That was a different trip.

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

Lol. It took me a while to figure that one out.

Ich spiele gern mit Worten! It is harder to interpret when all the words are pushed together, in a language that's not made for such things. Glad you enjoyed it!

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Ich spiele gern mit Worten

Yep, great fun playing around with words. Once one gets to know a language well enough to understand imagery, poetry and humour and can play with it, it is bliss and makes up for all the hard work that has gone into learning. Knowing English has opened up a 12 volume encyclopedia full of humour to me, knowing German will open a booklet of humour when you have learnt the language, or so they say, but I do not agree, I may settle on single thick hardback book...

Wish I had spent more time in Paris indoors, I only remember the Louvre, Notre Dame and the Dome des Invalides - oh, and shopping haven Les Galeries Lafayettes.

notamermaid

That's it, @gnome12!

We flew to Paris for a day, prior to our visit to Geneva in 2016. The morning we arrive, we got off the plane, did a quick check-in at the hotel, and the Opera Garnier was our first stop. We did the DIY tour and enjoyed it very much.

Over to you.