The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I agree - a beautiful place to visit. I especially like the lighthouse.

@Daisi - In addition to the Man Hanging OutČerný has several other works around the city. When you visit Prague, you may also want to check-out  Černý's sculpture of the peeing men in the courtyard of the Franz Kafka Museum. The sculpture is automated and if you text a message to the number on the exhibit, your message can be spelled out by the peeing men. It is very provocative, controversial sculpture - you can read about it here:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/proudy

Thanks @dogs4fun, I just looked up several of his sculptures, some of them are very "interesting".  We haven't really decided on what we will do in our free time in Prague, so these will be going on our list!

I found out where the sculpture is in ljandgb's post...I'll wait for someone else to have a turn.  

49 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

We spent a week there as part of a land trip, before moving on to an even more magical location (which will remain unnamed until someone guesses correctly.)  I really enjoyed the area.

This "country-which-shall-not-be-named" is so chock full of amazing places to visit! That's why we still haven't been to this one. 

18 hours ago, ljandgb said:

This next picture is from a town that is an excursion from a popular river cruise.

Please name the town and the river you can see. First person with the correct answer gets to post the next photo:

Cascais, suburb of Lisbon. Though looking at Google maps, there is no river, it is the open Atlantic. The mouth of the Tejo river is at Lisbon proper, a bit further to the east.

28 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Cascais, suburb of Lisbon. Though looking at Google maps, there is no river, it is the open Atlantic. The mouth of the Tejo river is at Lisbon proper, a bit further to the east.

There are Douro river valley cruises that begin in Porto and end in Lisbon. Sintra and Cascais are both on the Portuguese Riviera and are popular destinations frequently visited from Lisbon. The Praia de Riberia is the beach where the mermaid is located - in the old section of Cascais. Lots of beautiful villas in Cascais - I want one! 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

You got it, anhalter1960.  I had to confirm it's an excursion from Lisbon, but it definitely is.  Cascais is a resort town, once the summer location of Portugal's royalty.  

I'll photographically wax poetic about Portugal once  clinic calms down.

33 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I'll photographically wax poetic about Portugal once  clinic calms down.

Can't wait to see that. Love Portugal and can't wait to go back and keep working on our list. I want to compare notes vs our DIY trip there last November!

I thought that this was a great picture because it was twice-removed from a river cruise. Lisbon is a starting point for Douro cruises, but not on the Douro, and Cascais is an excursion from Lisbon. 

We spent a week in Cascais (pronounced cash-keye-esh) which was lovely and then a week on Madeira, which was an absolute revelation. Anyone spending time in Portugal needs to budget a few days there. It’s beautiful, wild, and yet very European. I also really enjoyed the Portuguese mindset which seemed both easy going and no nonsense. 

My pictures are all from Madeira.  The swimming pool complex is on the north side of the island and is open subject to the whims of the ocean. It was NOT open the day we went!

B06F1DC5-2E6A-4567-A182-01F6DCFAFCC2.jpeg

1B9D695D-934E-4A8F-8897-63C4069869C9.jpeg

37FF6F62-0A55-42D4-BDBD-00F1C7BEB69D.jpeg

C40B7CCF-8CEE-48C3-8101-52664456FAEB.jpeg

EE00E155-2415-437D-8461-574302D56BA5.jpeg

• Like 1

The mountain top pics are from a peak to peak hike on the spine of the island. It’s a well developed path as before there were roads with tunnels, it was one of the ways to deliver mail from one side of the island to the other. You can see the trail along spine of the hill there in the wide angle pic. The other pic is from a levada walk, along the ubiquitous water capture and delivery channels on the island. Walking the accompanying paths is very much a thing there. 

C8BB2BD7-BDFE-4065-89C9-8FE0E7DFFDCC.jpeg

277BFC57-BA22-4E92-B292-F104DFA8D793.jpeg

E1176A73-09F3-4AA8-BF85-A03D633782DE.jpeg

• Like 1

Wonderful photos, @ljandgb. I’ve never been to Madeira but I think it is a beautiful island.  I should explain ...

About 8 years ago we hopped a transatlantic that had a port stop in Funchal Madeira. I don’t count our day here as a real visit but we did attempt to cram in as much as humanly possible over a twelve hour period. I vaguely recall Churchill Bay which looked similar to one of your above photos.

We also took the Monte cable car up to visit Our Lady of Monte & the Monte Palace tropical gardens. Was your last photo taken in or near the tropical gardens?

Did you take the toboggan ride?

The number of homeless dogs in Monte - so many that looked undernourished and in poor health. I bought some dog food to feed some of them. Also did much the same with the stray cats on Mykonos (separate trip). It really makes me sad to see these poor animals 😔

Edited by dogs4fun

I go with canal as well, too narrow for a river cruise ship and too shallow for a proper barge as well. I tend to think it is a canal for smaller boats not classified for anything big. But definitely used for shipping as it has got markings for the traffic at the footbridge. Excursion boats I can see on this in my mind. I think the light blue on the river indicates a lock. With houses close by I think we are looking at an urban scene and Amsterdam is certainly a good thought. I had thought that as well but as you have mentioned Amsterdam does not seem to fit. I think so too and locate this in a different city. Not going to say just yet which one.

notamermaid