The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Interesting! 

Our guidebook mentioned this difference. It went so far as to describe Wallonia in unflattering terms - as a rural backwater, and dismissed it as not very interesting for tourism. It seemed kind of harsh!

We didn't go to Wallonia so I have no opinion here. One of my colleagues during residency was a Belgian Francophone. He didn't seem like a yokel to me. Anyway. Looking forward to the next mystery picture! 

Edited by jpalbny

I’ll go. These are from two completely different locations, different rivers even. I’ll take either for the answer but include the building it’s associated with. I’m posting both because I find the similarities amusing. 

398B9FEA-6101-4B70-896A-F10ACA5A6B58.jpeg

AEBE989F-A285-478C-AB98-4005D8E4F378.jpeg

Edited by ljandgb

Interesting choice, like the idea of two photos. It is mostly likely to depict a saint with his characteristic mode of death, a typical thing to do with martyrs (the Catherine wheel is another typical one). It could be the same saint just statues from different centuries and made of different stone. The most common beheaded saint is Dionysius according to my German Google - which is Denis in French...

I reckon it is him on a Romanesque church (looks even a little Celtic to me) and a Gothic church.

notamermaid

I believe the second photo is St. Denis (no wonder he is the patron saint of headaches) from the Notre Dame de Paris. 

Prior to the 1980s, I had never heard or seen the term cephalophore. Our Parisian guide ended our ignorance (at least in that one particular area 😏).

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes, the second one is from Notre Dame.  Anyone want to guess the first's location?

I had no idea beheaded saints were a thing, or even had a name.  I've learned something new today.  I believe the Notre Dame one is said to have walked from Notre Dame to Sacre Coeur with his head in his hands.  Quite the feat!

They are both St. Denis. And yes, legend says he walked from Montmartre, to the site of his eponymous cathedral in St-Denis, carrying his head and preaching along the way.

St-Denis BTW,  is a fun DIY excursion from Paris. Much easier to get there by riding the RER, than walking in a cephalophoric manner. So many French royalty buried there, including the heart of the Dauphin.

Dogs4fun has the second location correct, I think.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Mais oui, c'est Avignon. The flag obscures part of the bridge.

We ran around that fortress a bunch. 

Look at the ledge above the French flag. I'm up there, taking your picture! 

317077819_RhoneCruise2015_03-168.thumb.jpg.b2c114805bdc9bed9da5ea41b47b323a.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

Had another look at the first beheaded figure now on my computer and reckoned it actually looks modern and is Buntsandstein (reddish colour) figuring it must be on the Rhine. But you are faster and have already moved on! :classic_smile: Nice comparison of two statues of the same person.

I think I went along that road where all the coaches are parked in that photo of Avignon. We got stuck in traffic, it was pouring down, a miserable day, so we did not stay long and did not go into the Palace. A long time ago that was and I have not been back to the area since...

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Had another look at the first beheaded figure now on my computer and reckoned it actually looks modern and is Buntsandstein (reddish colour) figuring it must be on the Rhine. But you are faster and have already moved on! :classic_smile: Nice comparison of two statues of the same person.

I think I went along that road where all the coaches are parked in that photo of Avignon. We got stuck in traffic, it was pouring down, a miserable day, so we did not stay long and did not go into the Palace. A long time ago that was and I have not been back to the area since...

notamermaid

But rain or no, one must go out on the bridge – and dance!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Oops must have gone to sleep, it’s got to be JPALBNY, because I’m sure I waved back, of course your correct, I’ve never got so close to the bridge on a river boat we could nearly touch the stonework. Many years ago we did dance on the bridge during a French touring session on our scooters. CA

• Like 1