The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

On 12/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, Daisi said:

The lucky pig of Schwetzingen, Schloss Schwetzingen, from Heidelberg excursion, Rhine River.

Honouring Prince - Elector Carl Theodo, who was responsible for the Heidelberg Bridge.

I'll let @texasstarshow the other side and fill in the story.  

Great pic, and interesting sculpture.

Indeed an interesting one, as price electors are rather honoured by equestrian sculptures - here  we have a, say, porcustrian sculpture. This Karl-Theodor is quite an interesting figure being born into the powerful House of Wittelsbach, rulers of Bavaria and Electors of Palatinate. But he was a sibling of a relatively poor side branch of the family, far from sovereign territories. But the powerful lines of the family were unable to produce legitimate male heirs.

So Karl Theodor inherited with the age of four the Margrave of Bergen-op-Zoom (Netherlands) from his mothers side, with eleven from his uncle the territory Palatinate-Sulzbach and with 18 he hit the jackpot, when he inherited Electorate Palatinate from a distant uncle together with the dukedom of Jülich/Berg, including cities like Mannheim, Heidelberg, Düsseldorf (that is, why Frederick the Great from Prussia called him a "lucky pig" ("Glücksschwein").

Well educated, but not too much interested into politics, he sponsored arts and culture, building theatres for the people and himself, palaces only for himself and seemed to enjoy himself, Wikipedia counts eight children with four women outside his marriage.  Thirty years later he inherited Bavaria to become ruler of one of the largest territories in Germany without firing a shot....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Is it Berlin Tempelhof Airport, Spree river?

notamermaid

Well done, notamermaid. Yes, it is. Your turn

The pic was taken "airside" under the large roof, which covered the parking positions of the aircraft. The airport did not have bridges to the planes, passengers walked to the planes. Looking east towards the parts of the airport building, which was used by the US Airforce in the cold war, and towards the tower. Wikimedia has a picture from a similar point, taken when the airport was still active. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tempelhof_Airways,_Aérospatiale_N_262,_Flughafen_Berlin-Tempelhof,_1982.JPG?uselang=de

Hooray, thought I recognized the wide arched complex. No bridges to aircraft, interesting. Thanks for the additional info. My land trip to Berlin was a long time ago, I have never seen the airport live unfortunately. An iconic building with so much history attached to it.

Karl-Theodor, he was certainly a lucky fellow... Thanks for the interesting read.

Now, photo. This is quite a smaller item than the  previous one. Within a larger thing. Prosperity and history attached to it and directly on a river that you can sail on.

Please name the river, the town and place and what type of structure this is:

1844606113_CC011.thumb.JPG.46b98d8dd32094dd0f2fe819fc4df790.JPG

notamermaid

Yes, it is. @jpalbny, it is so distinctive, almost instantly recognizable when you have been there, isn't it? Melk Abbey is a remarkable place. The marble room is amazing, but I was most fascinated not by the marble, but the metal grid of the underfloor heating. The library is absolutely stunning and they have one of the copies of the Nibelungenlied. I also enjoyed the town. It was a great first tour on my river cruise.

Over to you.

notamermaid

• Like 1

It certainly was remarkable. Such beautiful work there!

OK here is one for you. 

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo

A river once flowed here. Luckily my feet didn't get wet taking the picture!

1824414865_CCPic14a.thumb.JPG.4b300026ec411e5024420054ac16d76f.JPG

You are on the right track with France. And correct that it is in the South not the North.

What number plate did you see that showed this was in France? The tag on the car? I thought the picture was dark enough to hide those details. You are good.

I hid the sign for the bakery because I thought that would make it too obvious. But now I can show it. So, where in France?

Hint - a river used to flow here.

1091486737_CCPic14b.thumb.JPG.db6b5375d8d5d8f674a84b12fa232b74.JPG

Aha, you had blended out the Boulangerie on the building on the right! I had expected there to be small French café or bakers in there. The trees can be found in  warmish climates in scattered places also in Germany but the car immediately attracted my attention. While I could not see it properly, I could make out that it is not German or Dutch. Overall this looks a nice French scene and may well be more typical of the South, I have only been there twice and not for long. A river? Hmm, either diverted by humans or dried by humans, or a storm surge or a non-violent natural occurrence. I would tend to put this street into the Rhone delta then.  No further ideas.

notamermaid

Yes, the number plate on the car, reading CA-713-KH (at least, thats what I read). The pattern AA-111-AA dark on bright background, is used only in France (Italy is similar, but without the dashes... and I dont really bring Italy and river cruising together). There should be a "F" in white on blue background to the left, but indeed I could not spot that.

The Rhone Delta, the Camargue, is a very flat terrain, where the Rhone flew nearly everywhre in historical times. But I didnt figure the exact spot - yet.

Wow - you’ve all been busy in my absence.

Yes, Viviers on the Rhône seems to tick all the boxes ...

It looks like the street that leads into town from where we docked. The river here was redirected in the 1800s and there is an abundance of plane trees lining our walk (our guide told us that Napoleon planted these all over southern France to shade his army).

Edited by dogs4fun

It's Viviers. The street is called Allée du Rhône, as a branch of the river used to run there. And the plan trees. 

We docked at night and went out exploring on our own after dinner. The town was so amazing with nobody else around. Just us, ancient stones, and streetlights. 

Gave us a nice preview of the official tour the next day. 

977356557_RhoneCruise2015_03-131.thumb.jpg.63cd86b95710fbaf891e0c3b3d640420.jpg

Who's next? Ritabob got the town but not the river -  close enough? 

Edited by jpalbny

Our first Uniworld cruise was Burgandy and Provence  many years ago.  The night time walk through a deserted town was magical.  We were told the movie Chocolat was filmed there, but nothing looked right in the dark.

Give me a bit of time to get to my computer to access some photos.

RB 

I’ll post another

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. Theperson who first guesses correctly gets to post thenext photo

image.thumb.jpeg.3ea13b9b0b002ae6aac8b4526e40e828.jpeg

And for the Melk Abbey stairwell, I have a different perspective, from above. You can see my reflection in the mirror at the bottom (and ACWdad walking down ahead of me)

image.thumb.jpeg.36271a0440e569884a1d532287bd1081.jpeg

Ok, this place looks very similar to the one on Porto where you can find the Harry Potter gallery. It also has all those fancy stairs, books and some bit of a history around. My guess would be Italy or Austria.. or something in between lol 

Interesting that you should mention Harry Potter. I have already started with the title page of a book called "bookcase XI" and the idea that the protagonist gets out a specific book, opens it up and walks through the bookcase into another world". You know, similar to platform 9 3/4. Granted, the idea of mine is not that original anymore and the wardrobe as a walkthrough has already been used as well. But the photo is inspiring and I love old books and those library stairs.

Oh, by the way, I have no idea where this is, but from the size I would say a library in a small palace. A spiral staircase leads to the upper floor and possibly this is the owner's bust. Could be a writer, though. The doorway leads to a lighter room with painted walls. Between 1670 and 1730?

notamermaid