The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

@dogs4fun, yes, you are correct, it's Colmar.  I will go for that, as all I can find trying to see exactly what it is, is "city clock"!  I really hope you get your computer fixed soon, I'm sure you have some great pics to share.

Ok, opening up for a Wild card.  Have fun.

24 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, really would like to hear from jazzbeau. Either a topic thread about travels or talk at the water cooler where we chat about travels and everything and nothing, i.e. without any rules. I tend towards doing it all at the water cooler. And keeping the quiz for the "intense brain work".

We have long dark evenings to fill, better to turn to the water cooler and have fun than to let the television turn us into couch potatoes. Even the travel programmes and British crime series seem to be repeats these days, at least with me here.

notamermaid

The idea of a Water Cooler thread is that it is anything the community wants it to be, so it can easily accommodate these new ideas.  Eventually the River Cruises: How Are Things Where YOU Are? thread will die out, but the River Cruising Water Cooler [which I have just renamed] can be permanent.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Daisi said:

you are correct, it's Colmar.  I will go for that, as all I can find trying to see exactly what it is, is "city clock"!

To be more precise in my identification ...

I remember seeing this building when looking for an Italian restaurant in Colmar. Your photo is of  the Old Customs House (Koifhus). Very interesting & photogenic structure.

The Koifhus was less than a 5 minute walk from La Petite Venise - lovely, picturesque area, wonderful lunch.

• Like 1

I probably walked past this building but so long ago that I do not remember. Time to return to Colmar. I was a few days away from booking a hotel in Alsace when the situation forced me not to pursue my plans. Sigh.

Okay, let's move on. Who would like to post a photo of or near a river or canal sailable by a river cruise ship?

notamermaid

Hmmm ... photo is too dark for me to discern details on my mini. From what I can see, it appears to be a bar/restaurant’s interior inside a clock tower but I am probably wrong.  Really have no clue. Will be interesting to learn the answer when correctly identified.

Oh, my goodness, what a setting! Got to see this. Reminds me of a strange film set in Paris, with a clockmaker/repairer theme, that I saw a couple of years ago.

I saw the impressionist paintings when they were still hanging in the Jeu de Paume. They are now in the Musée d' Orsay and for that reason and the fact that the museum is a disused railway station, I want to go to Paris again.

Mitina, that was fast, I am impressed.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Oh, my goodness, what a setting! Got to see this. Reminds me of a strange film set in Paris, with a clockmaker/repairer theme, that I saw a couple of years ago.

I saw the impressionist paintings when they were still hanging in the Jeu de Paume. They are now in the Musée d' Orsay and for that reason and the fact that the museum is a disused railway station, I want to go to Paris again.

Mitina, that was fast, I am impressed.

notamermaid

@notamermaid, is the movie you are thinking about Hugo?  A Martin Scorsese (sp?) film that is amazing in 3D because it was filmed in 3D, not adapted to 3D after the fact (the reason why most 3D films disappoint and why the format hasn't caught on, but I digress....).

It involves an orphan boy who discovers an old automaton, and has a subplot dealing with the early early days of motion pictures.  Much of the action takes place in a Paris train station that very much resembles Orsay.

Ah, yes. Hugo. Weird film but pretty good. Could not remember the name immediately. Thanks.

I am not that great a fan of Paris, but a film set in Paris that involves a train station can hardly fail with me.

You have given me an idea for some travel photos for the water cooler.

notamermaid

I'll add that the Musee d'Orsay really is a beautiful museum, not to mention the art.  I made my husband and daughter get up "at the crack of Paris dawn" to be there when it opened so we could avoid the crowds.  We took the bus from the Marais district, so it was a great day all the way around, with so much to see coming and going.

I'm not a huge city fan, but I really liked Paris.  I think because we managed to be just off the really crazy tourist areas, and we had a really good walking tour the first morning we were there early enough that the streets were almost empty.  Or maybe it's just good memories of a great family trip?