The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Hmm, the tower together with the roof shape is distinctive and could help with identifying if you have not been there. It is possible that someone recognizes it from their river cruise, again as it is distinctive. It is definitely visited on cruises, but the Australian and New Zealand people have an advantage with guessing this one.

notamermaid

Pheewww.... youve been so fast the last days, can we go back to WARP-2 please ?

@notamermaid, nice castle. It looks like some event happening there with that white tent. Hardly any leaves on the trees left, late autumn, maybe even advent. Id there a crhistmas market waiting in the courtyard round the corner?

Am I right, this is near the Rhine, half to maybe one hour to the north from your place ? Assuming, of course, you did not show your own castle.

How I wish it was my own castle...

We have indeed been doing a whirlwind tour of places in the last few days, but I seem to have unintentionally slowed things down. This is more difficult than expected. Let us say, APT found a little gem a few years ago and it is exclusive on the river cruising market.

You are right with your ideas. Rhine, late Autumn, tents for Advent market event.

notamermaid

Congratulations! It is. To be even more precise: Schloss Namedy in the village of that same name, which is a suburb of Andernach. Namedy village boundaries border on the Rhine, but the castle is set further back towards the hills. A bit more info to follow from my computer later.

Do move on already Mitina if you feel like it, your go.

notamermaid

The photo of Namedy castle was taken last year. They have a Christmas market and festive music weekend every first Advent. This year it had to be cancelled, along with most other events and concerts in the castle from March. I enjoyed last year's Sunday trip and would have liked to see it again. One may not think of it straight away, but such places that are private - although being helped by regional organizations and state funding if it is a listed building like Namedy Castle - have suffered much loss this year. The mother and daughter team are very enterprising, but regulations have prevented much this year. In the quiz photo to the right you can see bit of a sign which shows that the roof repairs going on were executed with the help of a grant. Nevertheless when I was there last year they had a kitty that you could put money in to help.

This is the oldest part of the once moated castle, which you see when walking through the gate:

DSCN2650.thumb.JPG.ec872f051be727138a37ba601e667a43.JPG

And this is the small market in the grounds (I posted this photo shortly after my trip in the Rhine thread last year): 1968151084_DSCN2651-Kopie.thumb.JPG.b56da8b0314d949c37c365403055bf6e.JPG

Inside the castle and in one of the outbuildings were stalls. The Christmas tree in the knight's hall was huge and the red walls much contributed to an inviting, homely atmosphere. A great experience that beat larger markets for me as I do not like crowds that much.

If you happen to be in the area on a land trip, see if they have a concert or public event that allows you access. A small and friendly place.

Enough words from me for now.

Wild card from Mitina!

Where will someone take us next?

notamermaid

• Like 1

The lady looks a little French. An official person with a crown on her head. She is holding something of significance in her right hand which resembles a mirror or picture frame. The belt she is wearing holds medallions and a shape which might be a coat of arms but I cannot tell what it might symbolize.

notamermaid

Well, I am surprised that I found this. When I first looked I had absolutely no clue, other than it should be a fountain. That narrows it down a lot...

I will say that I respectfully disagreed with notamermaid, though, on one count. No fashionable French girl would ever be caught wearing those clunky shoes! 😉

So I gave up and started looking at my Facebook newsfeed instead of cooking dinner. Lo and behold, one of my German friends had posted this picture just a few hours ago...

FB_IMG_1606948753654.thumb.jpg.5c1d9e5aa0ddb1f6f20db016af0f5c93.jpg

I stopped scrolling and did a double take. This looks remarkably like the picture I'd just seen on cruise critic! She had labeled the picture "Köln" but nothing more precise.

So I went to our pix from the 2013 Rhine cruise and found the same fountain. 

DSCN0781.thumb.JPG.93c0b831685e83cce9b473aa7cd60c96.JPG

Unfortunately I had only labeled that picture "near Alter Markt" so I had to look on Google maps to get the name of the fountain. Still, quite a bit of serendipity! 

Ok, now to find a suitable picture. 

• Like 1

OK, here goes. This is definitely a location that you'd visit on this particular river cruise, though perhaps you'd not visit this exact landmark in this place. Bonus points if you can tell me where I was, when I took this picture. As (almost) always, we were not on a river cruise when I took this picture - but we were on an ocean cruise.

And yes I know I left an obvious clue in the picture. I think this one is a bit obscure so the clue should help you narrow it down to a few possible rivers.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

138989872_CCPic13.thumb.jpg.1c6c1fe06b7f54e06e3a82d65573edd2.jpg

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

Saint Emilion, Bordeaux river cruise down the Dordogne.  The building is the Tour du Roi (King's Tower.)

Serendipitous indeed.  You were meant to get that last one!

Right you are! We were in the tower of the Monolithic Church when I took that picture. Beautiful panoramic view of the village, with nobody else around.

This was during a SS cruise in 2010. We docked in Bordeaux as our ship was small enough to make it there. We took the tram to the train station and rented a car from Hertz, then took off for a DIY tour.

To climb the "clocher" you have to go to the tourist information bureau and ask for the key. They wanted me to leave an ID for collateral but all I had was my NY drivers license. That eventually was enough to satisfy them.

Key in hand,

DSC_10K_5478.thumb.jpg.06e65d4e514529ddfeb0205d5a00edc8.jpg

We climbed the tower and had a birds eye view of the village all to ourselves.

DSC_10K_5465.thumb.jpg.c2cd12f7934fd110fb0c9018fc87b045.jpg

Then we went to a ruined monastery, which had been repurposed into a wine bar, for some Crémant. Lovely setting.

P1130398.thumb.jpg.612c5720492650e0e4040befbcc85926.jpg

A most enjoyable evening! Can't wait to go back (as I may have mentioned in another thread recently).

ljandgb, you're up!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Beautiful!  I love when I can find someplace like that all alone.  How'd you find out about the key?

This next picture is more about the activity represented.  State where it's occurring, and what river it's on.  If it's too esoteric, I'll post some wider view pictures later.

IMG_1951.JPG

41 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Beautiful!  I love when I can find someplace like that all alone.  How'd you find out about the key?

Chris would have figured it out somehow. She spends many hours reading guidebooks and Internet sites, and tells me what we're doing. I can't remember where she found out about this, though.

My job is to get us there, relatively on time.

43 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

This next picture is more about the activity represented.  State where it's occurring, and what river it's on.  If it's too esoteric, I'll post some wider view pictures later.

It looks like a toy boat race. I've seen that kind of stuff in numerous parks. Even in Central Park, New York! So I'm not sure where to guess.