The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I think you've been to this area many times. I know you've mentioned this location before.

I have been to the nearby city but did not make it to this particular location. A very pretty piece of art, RB. Glad you posted this. Another place to go back and visit!

Sounds as if I should know this place and sculpture. You say nearby city. I do not think this is something an obscure village would have, perhaps it was commissioned for an exhibition. I wonder if this thing is still there or taken down. Well, the location must still exit. Narrowing it down to Speyer and downstream. I think I have talked about that more than upstream.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I think you've been to this area many times. I know you've mentioned this location before.

Ehm, err, yes, ehm, I have a "few times" in my life. Slightly embarrassing.

15 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

rather like a sort of horticulture exhibition.

Yep, found it. A whirlpool. I was there and I do not recall seeing this. Oh, my, err, more embarrassing.

I hope someone else also finds this in the next few hours...

notamermaid

I believe that I have found it.  Koblenz in the fortress that overlooks the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers.  This wasn't a highlight of our tour.  Of course, it was almost Christmas and the Christmas market grabbed most of our attention.

I will give it to you, Mizzou70. !

not sure if this was created specifically for a large horticultural expo, but looking on Google satellite view, it is still there.  We took the gondola up over the Rhine to Festung park, adjacent to the Ehrenbreitstein fortress.  Not far from this slate whirlpool is the observation lookout over the river.  From there you get a very good idea of how heavy the river traffic is.

RB 

• Like 1

Just some background info on the art on Ehrenbreitstein. As AnhaltER1960 and I suspected, it was part of a horticultural show, the event to be at in the Middle Rhine valley in 2011: https://chrisdrury.co.uk/rhine-mosel-slate-whirlpool/

33 minutes ago, Mizzou70 said:

I don't have photos stored on this computer.  Someone take a wildcard for me.

A pity you cannot post a photo yourself. Thanks for the wild card. Is there someone reading in the background who has not joined yet with a photo? Remember, you can post a photo from a land trip as well, there just needs to be a connection to a river or large canal suitable for cruising that we may be able to guess. Even the lochs of Scotland count. Mississippi, Rhone, Neckar, Guadalquivir, etc. Bridge, building, garden, fountain, etc.

Join us! Beat the regular posters to it and see if they can guess your quiz photo. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

After some search I came across him: Statue of Aung San in Pyay, Irrawaddy River.  See here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:20160810_Aung_San_statue_in_Pyay_9566.jpg

Close, but a miss. Maybe hes got a twin though.

Well done, good searching. It is a statue of General Aung San -this statue is in Magwe (so my file says). From memory there were several of these statues along the Irrawaddy.  Aung San was the politician who fought for independence from British rule and was assassinated 6 months before it happened. His daughter is Aung San Suu Kyi.

• Like 1

I am not sure how to proceed. From my perspective, I recognized the rider on the horseback, but not the correct statue, (there seem to exist quite a few of them) and therefore not the correct place. Thus I do not feel to be entitled to produce the next picture.

Nice shot in dusk (I presume you were not up early on that day and the blue is more evening blue) from a not so standard angle, I would say. On this auspicious day I shall not take away the fun from friends across the pond. I know where this is, but I had forgotten that there is a railway line bridge across the water there. It looks very inviting to a train enthusiast like me.

notamermaid

5 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Congratulations, that is the place (for the records, the place reads Schaffhausen). Over to you.

I noticed the spelling, is now edited.

This picture is from 2002 and I have no idea if it used for river cruising but the Canal close by is.

Name river and location. The first who name both will get the right to post the next photo.

127b.jpg.258df2ec9a9efcea2523f036e16a839a.jpg

Theo