teenager going off the ship

celoplyr

Hi! We are going to try to do a family reunion cruise next year.  It will be my mom and dad, 3 more of my mom's siblings, myself and my aunt's grandchild that she has custody of.  I'm 37 and will be rooming with the grandchild who will be 15.  I feel like we will probably just never see her because she'll be in the teen club, but my mom is paranoid that she will try to go off the ship with another family at the ports.  We are cruising RCL. I assume that there are security systems in place- can you help me out?

Her grandma and another aunt are rooming together because they need an accessible room, and I didn't want to take up multiple rooms (and have 3 rooms with solo cruisers).

PS- I am really not looking forward to this cruise 🙂 my family doesn't even put the fun in dysfuncational....

A number of cruise lines enforce a minimum age for lone disembarkation as 16 years reciprocally all the adults may not disembark leaving under 16's alone on the ship (some permit this if deposited in the children's club where a "lock in" prevails).  I do not know how the enforce these.  

Regards John

I think the assumption has to be that if she wants to and has concerns about the teen leaving the ship unaccompanied, that she can and will find a way.

Sure, there may be ship security protocols in place, but if a kid can get past TSA, boarding agent and get on planes without having a ticket, a teen can sure as heck get off a ship.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 7:55 AM, klfrodo said:

I think the assumption has to be that if she wants to and has concerns about the teen leaving the ship unaccompanied, that she can and will find a way.

Sure, there may be ship security protocols in place, but if a kid can get past TSA, boarding agent and get on planes without having a ticket, a teen can sure as heck get off a ship.

Yeah, I think my family is worried because we don't know the teen well, we feel very responsible for the entire family's trip, and the teen is way more rebellious than I was at that age.  My parents would have killed me for even thinking I could leave with someone else. (I was a good child!)  In addition, this poor kid is going to have me as the closest in age in the party, and I'm old and stogey and way more interested in taking photos than doing things on a shore excursion. The rest are her grandmother's age and aren't in good enough health to do much of a shore excursion either.  I'm also wondering if I could ask her what shore excursions she would be interested in.  But, of course, she alternates wanting to go and not wanting to go...

I mean honestly, I want to escape my family too 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Just hold onto that "teens" card....NO ONE can get off the ship without it!  Of course, they won't be able to access their cabin, either....but hey, you can get an "extra KEY CARD" just for them to use to get in and out of the cabin...no "charging" ability at all

.  If they are THAT untrustworthy,  that's probably the best option.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, cb at sea said:

Just hold onto that "teens" card....NO ONE can get off the ship without it!  Of course, they won't be able to access their cabin, either....but hey, you can get an "extra KEY CARD" just for them to use to get in and out of the cabin...no "charging" ability at all

.  If they are THAT untrustworthy,  that's probably the best option.

Not a bad idea!  I'll see once I meet her, I guess.