What happens to FCC spent on a cruise that also gets cancelled?

HALrunner

A little history:

HAL gifted us a substantial amount of FCC for a 48 night cruise which they cancelled while we were flying to the embarkation port March 13, 2020. We have "spent" this on a January 2021 South America sailing that is sadly likely to also be cancelled. Final payment is due October 31, 2020.

Does anyone know what happens to FCC that is spent on another cruise that also gets cancelled by HAL?  One HAL rep I spoke to  "guessed" that if we move it to another cruise before the original FCC expiration date (December 31, 2020), it will still be valid. Her lacking confidence concerns me.

I'm not sure if it is better to move this original FCC to a 2022 cruise before making our final payment this week, or to make the final payment and hope that the 2021 cruise still sails.

Other notes of consideration:

-We paid a deposit out of pocket when we booked this 2021 cruise. The remaining cruise fare was covered by FCC and only taxes and fees are due for our final payment.

-If we make final payment, HAL cancels the sailing, will we then have to wait for the new FCC to be credited to our account? If so, it makes me think we should just move it to a future cruise before making final payment. Fellow travlers on our March 2020 cancelled cruise just this week finally received their FCC from that cruise!

-I looked at similar itineraries for 2022 to shift it to, and they are pricing our much higher than the fares we booked for the 2021 cruise.

-We are young-ish and healthy and have no qualms with sailing with masks, social distancing etc. And like everyone else here, are SO ready for a vacation! 

Trusted CC friend and fellow travelers, share your wisdom and educated guesses with me! What should we do?!?

Edited by HALrunner

Yup. Been there, done that. You get the FCC back, with a reset on the book-by, use-by dates. And if the new cruise is cancelled, you get the FCC back and the clock resets again. You do not have the option of cashing it out and getting a refund.

I would strongly advise against making final payment on the January 2021 SA. Numbers in Argentina are exploding. Brazil has been devastated and not yet recovered. Chile is not accepting international visitors at this time. Cancel and rebook something farther out, if only to breathe new life into your FCC.
Some of our FCC from the 2020 GWV is now attached to its fourth cruise - 2020 GWV, 2021 GA, 2021 Rotterdam New England, 2021 Zaandam New England. WE can’t travel right now, but our FCC is having a great time!😂

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yup. Been there, done that. You get the FCC back, with a reset on the book-by, use-by dates. And if the new cruise is cancelled, you get the FCC back and the clock resets again. You do not have the option of cashing it out and getting a refund.

I would strongly advise against making final payment on the January 2021 SA. Numbers in Argentina are exploding. Brazil has been devastated and not yet recovered. Chile is not accepting international visitors at this time. Cancel and rebook something farther out, if only to breathe new life into your FCC.
Some of our FCC from the 2020 GWV is now attached to its fourth cruise - 2020 GWV, 2021 GA, 2021 Rotterdam New England, 2021 Zaandam New England. WE can’t travel right now, but our FCC is having a great time!😂

Thanks so much for your first hand advice, but so sorry your FCC has traveled so much without you! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Thanks so much for your first hand advice, but so sorry your FCC has traveled so much without you! 

We’re traveling vicariously right now. The luggage we left behind on the Amsterdam when we had to get off in Perth on March 23 just made it home last week. It’s been to a number of countries we haven’t on its journey home. Now our FCC is out there in the land of maybe, someday. Basically, we’re on Schrodinger’s cruise.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thanks you, Horizon Chaser. How did your election go?  I haven't read the paper yet but will look and see :)

We were also booked the OP's S. America cruise and have until December 31 this year to book for 2021.  Thinking of booking mid-December when there might be a better idea of when and where HAL will actually be sailing.  Really appreciate the answer to the OP's questions as we expect to be in the same boat with almost anything we book for 2021.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We’re traveling vicariously right now. The luggage we left behind on the Amsterdam when we had to get off in Perth on March 23 just made it home last week. It’s been to a number of countries we haven’t on its journey home. Now our FCC is out there in the land of maybe, someday. Basically, we’re on Schrodinger’s cruise.

How’s the Cat doing??

FCC has an expiration date and if I am not mistaken its something like two years. And NO, you will not be compensated if FCC expires or even the cruise get cancelled. This is where the trick is so please be careful

8 hours ago, Roger88 said:

FCC has an expiration date and if I am not mistaken its something like two years. And NO, you will not be compensated if FCC expires or even the cruise get cancelled. This is where the trick is so please be careful

Ours is December 31, this year.  There are different criteria for the expiry dates.

21 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The "final payment" issue is complicated.  If one fails to make their final payment the reservation is cancelled and who knows "what happens to that large FCC that had been applied to cruise?"   If HAL cancels the cruise there would likely be no problem in moving that FCC to another cruise but when the cruiser cancels.....who knows!

We have a similar issue with an April Noordam cruise.  We had been booked on the April 2020 Westy cruise (from Yokohama) that was cancelled by HAL.  At the time HAL quickly refunded our money and also gave us a FCC which we immediately applied to a new reservation on an April 2021 Noordam crusie.  That Noordam cruise will eventually be cancelled by HAL (they seem to be the last to realize that cruise cannot possibly happen) but whether that is done prior to final payment is a big question.  Some think that HAL prefers to delay cancellations so that they can get the cash (final payments) which they hold for many months to help deal with their own cash issues.  I will admit that is a very cynical concept, but it is what it is!

Hank

On 10/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, HALrunner said:

A little history:

We have "spent" this on a January 2021 South America sailing that is sadly likely to also be cancelled. Final payment is due October 31, 2020.

I'm not sure if it is better to move this original FCC to a 2022 cruise before making our final payment this week, or to make the final payment and hope that the 2021 cruise still sails.

Other notes of consideration:

-We paid a deposit out of pocket when we booked this 2021 cruise. The remaining cruise fare was covered by FCC and only taxes and fees are due for our final payment.

-I looked at similar itineraries for 2022 to shift it to, and they are pricing our much higher than the fares we booked for the 2021 cruise.

-We are young-ish and healthy and have no qualms with sailing with masks, social distancing etc. And like everyone else here, are SO ready for a vacation! 

Trusted CC friend and fellow travelers, share your wisdom and educated guesses with me! What should we do?!?

I talked to a PCC this morning.   The 2022 South America cruise is 2 days longer, since it's not apples to apples, she wasn't sure I was going to be price protected if HAL cancels the 2021.   ($2K difference).     I still have until tomorrow afternoon (don't want to try on a weekend) to decide to pay now (I only put down 500.00 deposit, with 6700 remaining).   Or cancel and rebook later.    Also to pay their trip insurance of 700.00 non refundable at this late date.          If it sails I want to be on it as you.     

Right now I have no FCC or other issues.     Have you decided what to do? 

1 minute ago, bizeesheri said:

Right now I have no FCC or other issues.     Have you decided what to do? 

Thanks for sharing your insight!  

We decided to not gamble with the FCC and just move it to a 2022 SA cruise. However, I also just spoke to a HAL rep and was reminded that my FCC has to be used on a 2021 sailing. The only late 2021 SA sailing that includes Antarctica is a holiday sailing, and we usually try to avoid those. 

The CDC no sail order is set to expire on October 31. I'm inclined to think all the cruise lines are waiting to announce further "pauses", ahem cancellations, until the CDC makes an announcement.

36 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Thanks for sharing your insight!  

We decided to not gamble with the FCC and just move it to a 2022 SA cruise. However, I also just spoke to a HAL rep and was reminded that my FCC has to be used on a 2021 sailing. The only late 2021 SA sailing that includes Antarctica is a holiday sailing, and we usually try to avoid those. 

The CDC no sail order is set to expire on October 31. I'm inclined to think all the cruise lines are waiting to announce further "pauses", ahem cancellations, until the CDC makes an announcement.

You have to love HAL for the date restrictions on FCCs given for this year's cancelled cruises.  If folks, in good faith, applied them to 2021 cruises which turn out to be cancelled HAL will say you can no longer use the FCC?  Stay tuned.

Hank

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You have to love HAL for the date restrictions on FCCs given for this year's cancelled cruises.  If folks, in good faith, applied them to 2021 cruises which turn out to be cancelled HAL will say you can no longer use the FCC?  Stay tuned.

Hank

I agree! And it just seems like there are so few options for 2021 cruises. I was just reading the thread about all the Volendam and Zuiderdam cruises disappearing. Between that and ships already sold, the choices on what to spend the FCC on are scant. 

Do you know if FCC can be used on Grand Voyages? Our FCC is from a 48 night cruise in a signature suite....it's burning a hole in my pocket, and I don't want to use it on a season's worth of Caribbean 7 day cruises;)

Edited by HALrunner

1 hour ago, HALrunner said:

I agree! And it just seems like there are so few options for 2021 cruises. I was just reading the thread about all the Volendam and Zuiderdam cruises disappearing. Between that and ships already sold, the choices on what to spend the FCC on are scant. 

Do you know if FCC can be used on Grand Voyages? Our FCC is from a 48 night cruise in a signature suite....it's burning a hole in my pocket, and I don't want to use it on a season's worth of Caribbean 7 day cruises;)

I have no clue although I do not recall any such restriction.   But things are changing so fast that todays policy may be null and void by the end of the day.  My bigger concern is that what we think of as "Grand Voyages" might disappear.  Much is going to depend on the future attitude of government's towards cruise ships.  Many of us are aware there has been an anti-cruise movement in the past few years and these folks will certainly take advantage of COVID to try and ban (or limit) cruise ships.  This is happening in our own country, Europe and Asia.   The cruise industry has to deal with environmental groups, anti-tourism groups whining about over tourism,  economic experts who do not think cruises contribute enough to the local economy, etc.

Hank

On 10/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, SilvertoGold said:

We were also booked the OP's S. America cruise and have until December 31 this year to book for 2021.  Thinking of booking mid-December when there might be a better idea of when and where HAL will actually be sailing.  Really appreciate the answer to the OP's questions as we expect to be in the same boat with almost anything we book for 2021.

Hello to my "stuck in the same boat" shipmate! I just located the notification of cancellation email from our travel agent, sent by HAL, on March 13. In the fine print (terms & conditions) it states we have 1 year from the date of the email to apply the FCC to another sailing. I called HAL and confirmed this with them. I'm grateful for a little extra time for decisions to be made and vaccines to come out;)

**disclaimer to others reading this thread- this likely applies to very few people. I believe only 3 HAL sailings were cancelled so incredibly last minute after CLIA pauses all sailings on the evening of March 13, and many passengers on those three sailings had taken offers earlier in the week to cancel as things were really starting to implode in the US at that time. So unless you were departing on a cruise March 14 or 15, it likely has different T&C.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have no clue although I do not recall any such restriction.   But things are changing so fast that todays policy may be null and void by the end of the day.  My bigger concern is that what we think of as "Grand Voyages" might disappear.  Much is going to depend on the future attitude of government's towards cruise ships.  Many of us are aware there has been an anti-cruise movement in the past few years and these folks will certainly take advantage of COVID to try and ban (or limit) cruise ships.  This is happening in our own country, Europe and Asia.   The cruise industry has to deal with environmental groups, anti-tourism groups whining about over tourism,  economic experts who do not think cruises contribute enough to the local economy, etc.

Hank

You are verbalizing my concerns as well! Be careful booking anything too soon d/t covid, but don't wait too long as fears of government restrictions, bankruptcy etc might impact cruses too far in the future.

How I wish we could all just be in the Crow's Nest agonizing over a trivia question instead! 

You are verbalizing my concerns as well! Be careful booking anything too soon d/t covid, but don't wait too long as fears of government restrictions, bankruptcy etc might impact cruses too far in the future.

How I wish we could all just be in the Crow's Nest agonizing over a trivia question instead! 

Geez, do not even mention the Crow's Nest as you will put me in an even deeper depression.  How long before HAL ruins the Crow's Nest?  Oops.  It already happened on some vessels.  Some of my happiest sea days (in over forty years of cruising) were the lazy days spent in the fantastic Crow's Nest of the Prinsendam.  

Hank

Hello to my "stuck in the same boat" shipmate! I just located the notification of cancellation email from our travel agent, sent by HAL, on March 13. In the fine print (terms & conditions) it states we have 1 year from the date of the email to apply the FCC to another sailing. I called HAL and confirmed this with them. I'm grateful for a little extra time for decisions to be made and vaccines to come out;)

**disclaimer to others reading this thread- this likely applies to very few people. I believe only 3 HAL sailings were cancelled so incredibly last minute after CLIA pauses all sailings on the evening of March 13, and many passengers on those three sailings had taken offers earlier in the week to cancel as things were really starting to implode in the US at that time. So unless you were departing on a cruise March 14 or 15, it likely has different T&C.

Dear "Stuck in the same boat shipmate" :)

HAL has not done a great job of this cruise's FCC.  My email of March 13 says December 31, 2020 for booking and December 31, 2021 to take the cruise(s).

Moreover, "My Account" on the HAL website quotes both these dates.

So:

1. Would you please let me know who exactly you called at HAL and confirmed the one year from the date of the email?  Phone number and department?

2. Would you mind telling me what the dates on your "My Account" specifies?

Thanks so much!  I really would like to get somewhere with this discrepancy.

Edited by SilvertoGold

9 hours ago, HALrunner said:

We payed the entire base fare for the 2021 Grand Africa with FCC from the 2020 GWV. You do have to come up with cash for taxes and port fees, though.

25 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Dear "Stuck in the same boat shipmate" 🙂

HAL has not done a great job of this cruise's FCC.  My email of March 13 says December 31, 2020 for booking and December 31, 2021 to take the cruise(s).

Moreover, "My Account" on the HAL website quotes both these dates.

So:

1. Would you please let me know who exactly you called at HAL and confirmed the one year from the date of the email?  Phone number and department?

2. Would you mind telling me what the dates on your "My Account" specifies?

Thanks so much!  I really would like to get somewhere with this discrepancy.

Hmmm, the plot thickens! I had never checked my online account for FCC info until you mentioned it. The FCC magically was granted to my mariner number well before I received the refund for the cruise. I think I spent the FCC before this feature was added to the website. However, I just logged in and it is showing that I do not have any FCC. I'm guessing that is because it has all been applied to future cruises. 

It's so odd that our emails from March 13 have different information. These are the terms and conditions at the bottom of my email:

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & Conditions

The value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line, and it is combinable with any other applicable discount. While the credit is valid for one year from the date of this email, please note that it needs only to be applied to the new booking by that time; the cruise does not need to depart within this timeframe. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. This credit may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. We ask that you or your travel advisor verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, the credit is built in direct association with Mariner Society numbers so it will automatically be credited toward the cruise fare of the next Holland America Line sailing booked.

I just called the HAL 800 number and the rep I spoke with was so friendly and helpful. She was very reassuring (or maybe I'm just naive!) and said our specific cruise was well known because of the huge disappointment and special circumstances. She was not overly confident about when the travel had to occur, but suggested by the end of 2022. 

As we all have learned, every time we call we get a different answer, so I feel slightly reassured that at least I have the above T&C in writing. At any rate, my current plan is to transfer this FCC  before making final payment from the upcoming cruise (that is also likely to be cancelled) to a late 2021cruise. Hoping that accounts for the various scenarios/expiration dates, etc we have all discussed! 

18 hours ago, HALrunner said:

Hmmm, the plot thickens! I had never checked my online account for FCC info until you mentioned it. The FCC magically was granted to my mariner number well before I received the refund for the cruise. I think I spent the FCC before this feature was added to the website. However, I just logged in and it is showing that I do not have any FCC. I'm guessing that is because it has all been applied to future cruises. 

It's so odd that our emails from March 13 have different information. These are the terms and conditions at the bottom of my email:

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & Conditions

The value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or Land+Sea Journey reservation with Holland America Line, and it is combinable with any other applicable discount. While the credit is valid for one year from the date of this email, please note that it needs only to be applied to the new booking by that time; the cruise does not need to depart within this timeframe. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. This credit may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, Hotel Service Charges, or other optional programs or services. We ask that you or your travel advisor verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, the credit is built in direct association with Mariner Society numbers so it will automatically be credited toward the cruise fare of the next Holland America Line sailing booked.

I just called the HAL 800 number and the rep I spoke with was so friendly and helpful. She was very reassuring (or maybe I'm just naive!) and said our specific cruise was well known because of the huge disappointment and special circumstances. She was not overly confident about when the travel had to occur, but suggested by the end of 2022. 

As we all have learned, every time we call we get a different answer, so I feel slightly reassured that at least I have the above T&C in writing. At any rate, my current plan is to transfer this FCC  before making final payment from the upcoming cruise (that is also likely to be cancelled) to a late 2021cruise. Hoping that accounts for the various scenarios/expiration dates, etc we have all discussed! 

Well, My Account and the March 13 email certainly do not agree on the timeframe.  I''ll have to get onto my TA and have her ask HAL what they think is happening with this.

Thanks very much for all your excellent info!