Why does MSC limit choice of cabin to 1 when booking 14 day (b2b)

phissy

We have booked longer itinerary on a Caribbean cruise- 2021.  It is essentially a b2b but one booking number. When checking each  week separately, many cabins are available. When looking at the longer version, we have only 1 cabin choice, (in the YC). How could we get them to change the cabin they assigned us?

It is a typical MSC policy, I've run into it many times and so far have not been able to get around it.  You can wait until someone else books the one 14 day cabin and MSC will then open up another, which you can then switch to if you think it's in a better location.  If not then you would just keep watch and keep hoping.  Unfortunately the seven day bookings often take over the better cabin locations.  So far I've only ever booked one 14 day but multiple B2B due partly to this cabin availability issue but also because often two seven day cruises came out better cost and perk wise.

• Like 1

We have wondered the same thing, but it is apparently MSC policy (which makes no sense).  At one point, when booking a back to back, we found a more desirable cabin that was available if booking both segments separately.  We asked our cruise agent to ask for the change of cabins and it was denied by MSC with no explanation.  I guess we could have cancelled the 14 day and rebooked two 7 day cruises but it was hardly worth the grief.  I will say that there are quite a few decent cruise agencies that simply refuse to deal with MSC because they find many of their policies maddening.  I do know one seasoned cruise agent who says that MSC is still an Italian company and does things the Italian way...whatever that means.

Hank

I booked my own B2B online because my agent won't book MSC (she's a top agent for Carnival and also books other lines but decided to not work with MSC because their customer service, even for agents, is atrocious).  I also found that the cabin I wanted, which was available for both legs, was not showing up for the 1 longer sailing.  It's ridiculous, really.  But I'm in the cabin I wanted.

Went online to check price difference between the one “longer” cruise and the two weeks separately.   It turns out the two weeks together  (15 day) are about $150 less than the booking the two weeks separate. For $150, I would have a much better selection of cabin choices.  So, decided to pay “extra” so we can have the cabin we really want.

I guess that is why MSC has it set up this way?  It is always about the money🙄

13 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I booked my own B2B online because my agent won't book MSC (she's a top agent for Carnival and also books other lines but decided to not work with MSC because their customer service, even for agents, is atrocious).  I also found that the cabin I wanted, which was available for both legs, was not showing up for the 1 longer sailing.  It's ridiculous, really.  But I'm in the cabin I wanted.

This is what happened to us minus the TA part. I have a really good TA (Orlando) who seems to be able to deal with MSC.

Got the same cabin for both weeks which was not “available” for the longer one.

Edited by phissy

12 hours ago, phissy said:

Went online to check price difference between the one “longer” cruise and the two weeks separately.   It turns out the two weeks together  (15 day) are about $150 less than the booking the two weeks separate. For $150, I would have a much better selection of cabin choices.

For US bookings most of the Caribbean sailings at some point are Voyages Selection cruises, by booking separately you get the VS OBC on each leg.  The total earned Voyager Club points actually come out higher, and you also get double the VC perks, particularly two specialty meals rather than one if you are Diamond level.  In many cases it's a no-brainer because the two seven day cruises are actually cheaper, but in the cases where the 14 day is actually a little cheaper VS/VC perks often negate the difference.