At last it's official -- Dates for reopening of Augustus' tomb in Rome

cruisemom42

If all goes well, Rome will have a new tourist attraction starting in the spring of 2021: the tomb of Augustus, Rome's first emperor and of several generations of the Julio-Claudian imperial family (including his wife Livia, sister Octavia, adopted son Tiberius, and later emperors Caligula, Claudius and Nero, among others -- even the ashes of his good friend Agrippa were enterred there). Augustus was held in such respect by everyone that even the inveterate builder Hadrian, who based his tomb on that of Augustus, made sure that his was slightly smaller to ensure that Augustus' monument was still pre-eminent.

For at least 20 years I have made pilgrimages past the derelict site of this large circular tomb in Rome, wondering how the city could let it continue to deteriorate. The condition was shocking for such a premier monument. 

Finally, more than a decade ago, an extensive program started to consolidate the remains of the monument and reopen it. As usual in Italy, delays have dogged the project and dates for reopening kept shifting from year to year, season to season.  

Now, it has been announced (with some degree of certainty!) that the tomb will reopen on March 1, 2021 -- with free admission through April 21, the date long celebrated as the anniversary of Rome's founding. After that, 50-minute tours can be booked to view the site. 

Smithsonian has published a nice overview as well as links to a virtual reconstruction of the tomb and to the website for additional info:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/mausoleum-romes-first-emperor-set-reopen-public-2021-180976645/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll be visiting Rome in Nov. before a cruise!  I've been to Rome several times so this would be perfect to see as I've seen the main points of interest.

Not knowing what you've already done, here are some additional ideas for ancient Rome:

Ara Pacis -- the beautiful "altar of peace" dedicated by Augustus to celebrate the Pax Romana.

Baths of Caracalla -- the most complete Roman imperial baths still in inexistence -- also offers a "virtual reality" headset rental to give a better idea of what the baths were like.

Museo Nazionale Romano (National Museums of Rome) -- one ticket gives you access to four great sites. I especially recommend the Palazzo Massimo (near Termini station), and the Palazzo Altemps (near Piazza Navona).

Museum of the Imperial Forums:  Nicely laid out museum walks you through all of the various forums created by the emperors and how they looked. Best part by far is access to the Markets of Trajan -- as well preserved an area as any you'll see in Pompeii complete with a Roman street, shops, mosaics, etc.

I also recommend a walk on the Appia Antica and a visit to at least one of the catacombs there, if you haven't.  Best done on a Sunday when part of the ancient road is closed to most vehicular traffic.