Final Payment

jonikal

Received an email requesting final payment for an April 2021 sailing.  I understood due to the uncertainty due to Covid problems throughout the travel industry, that final payments could be deferred until one month before the departure date.  Another expedition company that we deal with has been doing that now for several months.  Since there have been so many cancellations and since our main destination is the British Isles currently undergoing a total lockdown, we feel uncomfortable about paying so far in advance when it is questionable that this sailing will actually take place.  Does anyone have any info about whether their final payment policy has changed due to Covid?  Will obviously call them, but meanwhile any input is appreciated.

I fully understand your dilemma and desire not to pay for a voyage that in all probability does not take place.
The answer may very well depend on when you booked the voyage and in which country? 
Many Hurtigruten expedition voyages have been canceled but not those departing from the UK - but the verdict you state yourself will the current closure lead to cancellations - personally I doubt that trips in April can be completed.

According to their cancellation policy, if you want to cancel you need to do it at least 90 days before sailing to get your deposit refunded, but there is a cancellation fee $190 USD per person.  If they cancel you will get a full refund.  There is no information on the website about changing the final payment due date.  Given this info, I would pay and let them refund you if they cancel.  Of course, for us Americans that can be a problem as we have to arrange flights in advance.  Some airlines have waived change/cancellation fees, so look for one that does that.

1 hour ago, comcox said:

According to their cancellation policy,

Cancellation  policy depends on the country in which you purchased your voyage. in Norway the rules are different.  Rules can also depend on when the trip was purchased and when it should be completed.

The Hurtigruten agent we spoke to about the final payment checked with his supervisor who told him it would be ok to wait another month to transfer the funds.  Since this is the first of Maud's sailings out of Dover in early April, and the ongoing Covid issues in the British Isles, he told us that it was unlikely that this particular sailing would take place and predicted that it would be cancelled.  Meanwhile we are looking at the 2022 schedule for a similar itinerary and once they cancel, we will be able to rebook without penalty and with the discount.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Cancellation  policy depends on the country in which you purchased your voyage. in Norway the rules are different.  Rules can also depend on when the trip was purchased and when it should be completed.

But Jonikal is from Florida so he would be under U.S. rules.

18 minutes ago, comcox said:

But Jonikal is from Florida so he would be under U.S. rules.

Not necessarily.

Hurtigruten has had very large differences in prices depending on whether you bought the voyage from an US agent or you booked the trip on their Norwegian web and paid in NOK. Therefore, many have bought voyages on the Norwegian web but that means that the terms and conditions follow the Norwegian ones.  The same goes for other travel agents and cruise lines.

Edited by hallasm

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

Not necessarily.

Hurtigruten has had very large differences in prices depending on whether you bought the voyage from an US agent or you booked the trip on their Norwegian web and paid in NOK. Therefore, many have bought voyages on the Norwegian web but that means that the terms and conditions follow the Norwegian ones.  The same goes for other travel agents and cruise lines.

Interestingly when we booked the Maud sailing, we did it during the Black Friday sale.  When we checked with the Norway office to compare, we found their price was actually higher as they didn't have a special promotion like the US Hurtigruten did.  I do understand that the coastals are sometimes more advantageous when purchased thru NO.

Prices and savings vary and this also applies to expedition cruises - I have seen up to 30% savings on Antarctic cruises on the Norway web compared to US or AU

But there are also offers their other web’s - special offers and if the cruise includes air travel.
 My call is - check prices on local as well as Norway web but remember that terms and conditions can vary based on country.

Hope we soon will be able to travel again without too many restrictions.

We are in exactly the same situation as the op except we're uk based , the cost of cancelling and rebooking for next year comes to around £1500.00. So we will pay up and hope they cancel.

The annoying thing is that the latest update on their website is dated 22/11/2020 

somewhat out of date! 

Received an email yesterday from Hurti advertising the April 13, 2021 sailing around the British Isles.  When clicking on the reserve button, however, that date fails to show up.  The first sailing showing is April 24, 2021.  Since the April 13 itinerary was to return to Dover on April 27, and this later voyage sails on April 24 it seems a pretty clear that the April 13 has been canceled - so we await official notification.

23 hours ago, jonikal said:

Received an email yesterday from Hurti advertising the April 13, 2021 sailing around the British Isles.  When clicking on the reserve button, however, that date fails to show up.  The first sailing showing is April 24, 2021.  Since the April 13 itinerary was to return to Dover on April 27, and this later voyage sails on April 24 it seems a pretty clear that the April 13 has been canceled - so we await official notification.

On the U.S. website it was still allowing reservations for April 13th this morning--perhaps a website glitch?  The U.K. FCO office still has in place a no-cruising advice order with no specific end date; that may be impacting any ship sailing from U.K. until it is lifted.

1 hour ago, comcox said:

On the U.S. website it was still allowing reservations for April 13th this morning-

Both  April 13 and 27 available at NO and UK web - but I do not believe Hurtigruten will be able to operate already by April - or you’ll be able to fly into UK in April.

3DB64FFA-B811-4340-BAAD-4FD5D3040C88.jpeg

There seems to be quite a confusion and lack of communication within the company.  We were clearly informed by email that our final payment, due to the uncertainty of this particular sailing, was being deferred until February 13.  So today we receive this:

Secure Your Trip Today
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.mail.hurtigr
We can’t wait to welcome you on board!
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.mail.hurtigr

As a reminder, you have an upcoming trip to BRITISH ISLES that requires final payment today:

I understand we live in uncertain times, but really?

On 1/7/2021 at 12:12 AM, comcox said:

According to their cancellation policy, if you want to cancel you need to do it at least 90 days before sailing to get your deposit refunded, but there is a cancellation fee $190 USD per person.  If they cancel you will get a full refund.  There is no information on the website about changing the final payment due date.  Given this info, I would pay and let them refund you if they cancel.  Of course, for us Americans that can be a problem as we have to arrange flights in advance.  Some airlines have waived change/cancellation fees, so look for one that does that.

We had to cancel our (2nd) coastal cruise when Norway was shut down. That was before Hurtigruen did. I finally wrote their CEO and eventually got our money. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Plus how the handled the first - or was it two - outbreak. Not saying we'd not travel with them again but mixed feelings