Kitchen Table

rnrcruzin

Although we are a year out from our cruise I was able to come across a list of excursions that may be offered, one of these is the Kitchen Table. I've seen this before and am interested. So my question is pretty simple - how much does it cost and how hard is it to get reservations. I'm pretty sure the answer to the second part is that it depends on where you are in the pecking order for making reservations. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob and Rosemary

Hi Guys,

Kitchen Table is a fun day and great meal opportunity.  It is sort of a moving target.  On the Inaugural world cruise it was $99 p/p.  For that you got a group of 12 or less that traveled with the Exec. Chef to first get coffee and a bite, then to the local market to pick foodstuffs for the meal and lectures on the various offerings.  Then to an other watering hole for wine and snacks.  To and from the ship is sort of a "mini panoramic" tour.  Afternoon is free then the group meets in the Kitchen Table room adjacent to the Chef's Table galley.  The Sommelier is present to discuss and serve champagne and various paired wines.  You can assist or just watch as the Exec Chef and 4 or 5 others prep the food in the room.  All the counter tops are induction and there are windows into the galley and CC TV of all going on.  Quite an event for $99.  Then, on the latest WC, the Kitchen Table was $249 p/p.  Quite the increase.  For $500 per couple we decided to find restaurants ashore so someone will have to chip in as to if it is still the same event.  Certainly $99 was cheap but the jump up was rather much.  As to availablility, the sooner you request the better.  Wait listing worked too.  Hope you enjoy..🥂

We are with Jim, we had planned to do at least 1 Kitchen Table experience on the 20 WC, but when we saw the price increase, my heritage kicked in.😀

Although you don't get the experience ashore with one of the Chefs, the cooking school on sea days is priced more reasonably and you get to work with one of the Chefs, using all the tools in the Kitchen Table, then you enjoy lunch, with a few glasses of wine.

DW did a less expensive version twice on the Star.  One had Spanish theme and the other Italian.  No shopping excursion, just a dozen people getting to cook and enjoy lunch with the chef.  Believe the price was only $30 per class.  Kitchen Table wasn't offered for advance booking so tried to book at embarkation.  Got one reservation but other was already sold out.  A number of women pestered the chef and he agreed to add another  class later in the sailing.  Well worth it. 

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We are with Jim, we had planned to do at least 1 Kitchen Table experience on the 20 WC, but when we saw the price increase, my heritage kicked in.😀

Although you don't get the experience ashore with one of the Chefs, the cooking school on sea days is priced more reasonably and you get to work with one of the Chefs, using all the tools in the Kitchen Table, then you enjoy lunch, with a few glasses of wine.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

DW did a less expensive version twice on the Star.  One had Spanish theme and the other Italian.  No shopping excursion, just a dozen people getting to cook and enjoy lunch with the chef.  Believe the price was only $30 per class.  Kitchen Table wasn't offered for advance booking so tried to book at embarkation.  Got one reservation but other was already sold out.  A number of women pestered the chef and he agreed to add another  class later in the sailing.  Well worth it. 

Thank you

I have done the $30 cooking class on board which was great and I have done other experience ( not on Viking or any other ship but on land) where you meet with a chef, go to the market to purchase food for your meal and then go back and create a meal with what you have purchased. The second option is a much more enriching experience. However, I am not sure if it is a $219 per person more enriching experience for me 😉 . There are several ports where there are options with outside companies to do something similar to the Viking Kitchen Table experience.  If you have never done one like this and you feel that this is a value to you ( money wise, ease of booking wise safety wise since you are with the ship ) , then do it. If not, then wait until closer to your trip and see if there is another option.  

• Like 1

On our Ocean cruises it was also $249 per person.  I’m sure it was very enjoyable but like others have said to rich for our wallets. Additionally on our Transatlantics as it was held the last day-and we wanted to enjoy the ship rather than have an event.  I hope one day that we have abundant 

On our River Cruise the concierge offered a free trip to the market in Vienna. She and one of the chefs took us to various stalls, we had samples and short lectures by either the chef or in the case is the wine stall-the proprietor. It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon. 

There are two versions of Kitchen Table.

There is the version that we see talked about on the website that includes a visit to a food market to purchase the ingredients and then returns to the ship to prepare the meal together. This excursion is booked in advance when the shorex open in advance of sailing. The cost is $249pp. This has always been the price. What Jim Avery talked about was a special price for the World Cruise that he was on. Moreover, we do not know how pandemic restrictions will effect this particular excursion when cruising resumes.

There is a second version that is offered on sea days, open to a small group for a price, where the group works together to prepare a meal. This is not offered on every sea day and is not announced until you are on board. I believe the price for this optional program is $99pp.

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

There is the version that we see talked about on the website that includes a visit to a food market to purchase the ingredients and then returns to the ship to prepare the meal together. This excursion is booked in advance when the shorex open in advance of sailing. The cost is $249pp. This has always been the price. What Jim Avery talked about was a special price for the World Cruise that he was on. Moreover, we do not know how pandemic restrictions will effect this particular excursion when cruising resumes.

There is a second version that is offered on sea days, open to a small group for a price, where the group works together to prepare a meal. This is not offered on every sea day and is not announced until you are on board. I believe the price for this optional program is $99pp.

We did this one on a sea day and had a great time!  It was well worth the $$$ and the food was delicious.  I too wonder what the pandemic will do to this type of activity.  

On 1/8/2021 at 1:04 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Thanks. We'll look into this.

On 1/8/2021 at 6:57 PM, vslparis said:

I have done the $30 cooking class on board which was great and I have done other experience ( not on Viking or any other ship but on land) where you meet with a chef, go to the market to purchase food for your meal and then go back and create a meal with what you have purchased. The second option is a much more enriching experience. However, I am not sure if it is a $219 per person more enriching experience for me 😉 . There are several ports where there are options with outside companies to do something similar to the Viking Kitchen Table experience.  If you have never done one like this and you feel that this is a value to you ( money wise, ease of booking wise safety wise since you are with the ship ) , then do it. If not, then wait until closer to your trip and see if there is another option.  

Thank you

On 1/8/2021 at 9:41 PM, Clay Clayton said:

On our Ocean cruises it was also $249 per person.  I’m sure it was very enjoyable but like others have said to rich for our wallets. Additionally on our Transatlantics as it was held the last day-and we wanted to enjoy the ship rather than have an event.  I hope one day that we have abundant 

On our River Cruise the concierge offered a free trip to the market in Vienna. She and one of the chefs took us to various stalls, we had samples and short lectures by either the chef or in the case is the wine stall-the proprietor. It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon. 

Thank you

On 1/9/2021 at 2:22 PM, Peregrina651 said:

This would be a great option. Thank you